Need trash or rocks

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

HornedFrog44

Need trash or rocks

Post by HornedFrog44 »

Yo...

So let me preface this by saying that I do not need a lecture on habitat destruction or collecting a sensitive species or anything like that... You have no obligation to help me out and I certainly do not blame you if you don't.

I am going to be in the Santa Cruz mountains on Saturday. I have been there several times as my family is from San Jose; however, I haven't had much luck there. It's a tough place to find good habitat. So if anyone knows of any board/ tin spots or rocks that are worth checking please consider throwing me a bone :) as you can probably guess I am most interested in finding a Z... but am happy with finding any snake.

A quick about me: I have been herping for about 20 years (I am 25... so most of my life). I have found tons of cool snakes- az mtn kings, lepidus, nm milks, willardi, twin spots, pygmys, etc. A lot of people have helped me to find these snakes and I have helped a lot of people find their target species. I don't have any contacts in CA so I am posting here. I have been around the forums for 15 years or so (kingsnake and here) but am typically too lazy to post.

Again, please no lectures about how I may be a poacher or something... Just help if you compelled to and if you don't that's perfectly fine too.
Pm me please.
HornedFrog44

Re: Need trash or rocks

Post by HornedFrog44 »

Oh yeah I do not (and will not) collect. I haven't collected a snake in ten years.
Chris_VE.

Post by Chris_VE. »

No offense... But good luck getting what you want like that... A better approach... would be something like the following:

"Hey I am not from CA, and going to the Santa Cruz MTNS, and don't have any contacts and would love an amazing trip. On either this date or that one, would anyone be willing to meet me and show me around to some of your, less valuable, locations that will still produce? Much appreciated!
-YOUR NAME HERE! "

Here, you will never get a decent answer like that... Sorry... Not trying to be mean, just trying to give you better success.

-Chris
Chris_VE.

Post by Chris_VE. »

And maybe Yo isn't the best approach... Be more... Intelligent lol You don't know any of us... And your asking a HUGE favor that most really wouldn't trust. I don't know who you are, or anything... but that first word, "Yo", really looks bad and like someone that really doesn't care. People dont wanna give out info like that to people who don't care.

-Chris
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Someone might PM you with some tips or even spots, but most CA herpers are too wise to share anything. It's sad, but we've been burned too many times, even by our "friends." :o
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I am going to be in the Santa Cruz mountains on Saturday. I have been there several times as my family is from San Jose; however, I haven't had much luck there. It's a tough place to find good habitat. So if anyone knows of any board/ tin spots or rocks that are worth checking please consider throwing me a bone :) as you can probably guess I am most interested in finding a Z... but am happy with finding any snake.

:lol: :lol: Please do me a favor, if someone shares a board, Tin or Rock spot in the SC Mtns, please pm me the details too.. As I would be interested as well..

Heck let me jump in here, if anyone is interested in helping him, than please include ME in the intell. I have spent a pretty serious amount of time up there, looking for my own places.

Thanks in advance, BTW I wont tell the person that shares that with you.. "I promise!!!" Scouts Honor...

Fundad
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Fundad wrote:

:lol: :lol: Please do me a favor, if someone shares a board, Tin or Rock spot in the SC Mtns, please pm me the details too.. As I would be interested as well..

Heck let me jump in here, if anyone is interested in helping him, than please include ME in the intell. I have spent a pretty serious amount of time up there, looking for my own places.

Thanks in advance, BTW I wont tell the person that shares that with you.. "I promise!!!" Scouts Honor...

Fundad

HornedFrog44

Post by HornedFrog44 »

So my asking is really a nothing to lose and everything to gain type scenario; it's just my personality but I usually pull the trigger in these types of situations.

I don't think I am ignorant. I know that the culture online for the herping forums has changed a bit. A few years ago people were much more willing to share info like this freely. On the "not allowed" forums folks shared lots of great spots and advice with me and i did the same. This allowed me to see lots of amazing snakes that i wouldnt have otherwise seen Now every information request I see like this gets tons of backlash. That's fine. Just know that sometimes you will be surprised at what you receive if you just ask.

I am not the most well connected herper in the world but I definitely do have my contacts... most are just in my area. I don't personally know anyone who has had success in the sc mtns so I figured I would check here. So mock me if you would like (I honestly could not care less)... the sc mountains are tough and I sure haven't figured them out yet. I want to find snakes - it's really as simple as that.

I fully grasp the problems that ca has had with overcollection and habitat destruction. However, it's just my opinion that it should not be taboo to ask for help aroun here. I know that I still share lots of info. I just use my best judgment about what spots I feel comfortable sharing and with whom. So I will repeat what I said originally, help if you feel compelled to... and if not that's fine too.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

It (probably) has less to do with your actual quiery than it does your delivery of it.
If I put out a Q worded like that regarding an area I'm not familiar with, I wouldn't expect help. (Not that I'd get it anyway.) :lol:

Tim
AlanER

Post by AlanER »

Based completely on the way you delivered your question, I expect your best answers to be the following:
"Screw you kid."
"Here is a way you can improve your chances..."
"Try Google Earth."
Or maybe, just maybe:
"I won't give you locations, but we can head out together one of these day."

Word of advice, most people on this forum will take what you said in a defencive manner and lash out. Watch how you word your sentences.
erik loza

Post by erik loza »

I am no expert on zonata in the Santa Cruz Mountains but have caught them when I have looked. This is my experience: I have seen more under "natural cover" than under trash. IMO, hunting for trash lines when you could instead, be actually hunting for the snake itself, is a waste of time in this area.

Here is what I would if I were you: Get Mulks/Merker's and Hubb's books and study the habitat photos for multifasciata in Santa Cruz Co. Then, get out your map of the parks, etc., of the area and start Googling images, hikes, etc. Then, make a plan for what areas to hit and go for it. As with anything, the first one is the hardest but you need to form that search image. I would personally rather have a habitat photo than a board line location, but that is just me. The board line may or may not every yield anything but once you know what habitat looks like, it's just a matter of time.

For example, there is one board line near Felton that I have always thought would produce a z. Hit it for years, never saw anything. Ditto on this locale that friends would see dynamite looking multifasciata at, seemingly every time they went out, but at which I always struck out in. On the other hand, there have been times where all I thought I would see was a Ringneck or skink, then "Pow!", zonata. Point being that even when someone gifts you a spot, there is no guarantee, so you need to make a decision about how to maximize your time there.

Zonata is different than getula in northern California. Getula is a sure bet under a board line, not so much so with the z. Not trying to be pandering with the above info, just giving you some feedback on my experiences. The one pointer I would offer is that I have had the best luck with Santa Cruz z. in transitional habitat between areas of forest and open, grassy areas.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search.
heavenscloud

Post by heavenscloud »

HornedFrog44 wrote:On the "not allowed" forums folks shared lots of great spots and advice with me and i did the same.'
Well, there you go.
jons

Post by jons »

yo........try these gps cordinates.......61 10 0 north/45 25 0 west.........good luck and post pics.......yo
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

You can't go anywhere in California without finding a discarded pair of pants to flip.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I agree that the OP has the wrong approach. But I also agree with the OP that someone will probably PM him the info he wants!

Remember the days when you just went out into the field with a field guide and a whole lot of hope?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

When was that? Oh yeah, before the Internet... :lol:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

By the OPs initial post it seems he was well aware of the arrogant nature of some of the folks on this list.

He was up front and to the point in explaining that he was not from the area and had tried before with no luck. I'm guessing he didn't want to waste another trip and gave it a shot to ask.

What really gets me is how so many members of this forum are so free to instruct how others should act or what they should say or how they should say it. Are you sure you folks are not closet chelonian keepers?
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

... or maybe phoned or wrote a friend for some hints... which was usually met with good will.
Mike VanValen wrote:I agree that the OP has the wrong approach. But I also agree with the OP that someone will probably PM him the info he wants!

Remember the days when you just went out into the field with a field guide and a whole lot of hope?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I see the OP has been a regular here since this initial post. 16 whole posts....wow...wonder if he found anything.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

As I said 3 years ago, I'm sure someone probably came through on his request and brought him to a spot. The spot was probably someone's secret a long time ago, and then in due time they brought one person to that spot. See, they made that person swear to never tell anyone, but this person had no intention of NOT sharing the spot. What harm could telling a few friends do, right?

Well, this lead to those "few friends" telling a few more friends - which included someone who was keen on collecting a cool snake - and the spot started showing signs of heavy traffic ; boards flipped and not put back. Rocks torn out of the ground. Litter strewn about. This is because those "few friends" and their "few friends" have absolutely no interest in herpetology/field herping. They just want to see a "cool snake", and now more than one of those "few friends" have collected a snake (or three).

By the time HornedFrog44 got to this spot, he may have had good luck and flipped the snake he wanted to see, got his trophy photographs to share on social media, and then probably proceeded to tell a "few friends" about the spot.

The original person who found this spot has probably long moved on, wallowing in self pity after seeing the wanton destruction and rampant ignorance of his once productive spot.

All of this happened because someone wanted to show a friend a cool snake.

:crazyeyes:
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Hope the best for you there young man... I wish you great success, I'm NOT here to bash you.

However, I'm in a totally different world than you. I'm almost 60 years of age and very-very new to herping... not even a year experience yet.

My interest is in rattlesnakes.

I catch and release ONLY - I do not collect.

In my opinion... 90% of field herping is first deciding your interest in specific reptile. Research of your specific interest in everything from season(s) of activity, global natural habitat in locating the County/Counties they live. Localizing the 'type' of ground/shelter they prefer. Read-read-read. Then planning the outing; deciding where you will go, and then once there... get out on foot man...! - Step out on the ground and listen to them leaves crunching under your foot, sloshing water when you cross a small stream... ahhh nature...!

Then... 10% of herping is the find. For me it's taking pictures and video. Ohhh and then getting home, uploading pics and vids... get that coffee a'brewin then me and the wife pass the hours away looking at what we've collected.

I honestly cannot tell you which I like better; the 90% of research and field trip, or the 10% finding - I cannot answer that question, I love both!

All I can you is once you have done all the research and locating and finding... the reward is knowing YOU completed everything from A to Z and it FEELS GREAT...! :)

Did you ever hear the story of the Papa Bull and the Baby Bull...? :lol:

Good luck young man, I hope you find what you are looking for... take care.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I pass no judgement, but normally, when someone is asking for specific trash sites, they have no real interest in the process of field herping. All they have an interest in is finding their target as quick as possible and getting that photograph.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? That's not for me to decide.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

It depends on the perspective. Some would say a good thing (those who are not pristine herpers) and some would say bad thing (those who put more stock in the enjoyment of the hunt). We will always have both perspectives...and unless you keep your secret spots all to yourself (or 1 very trusted friend who feels the same way) they will not remain secret or any good in the future.

I will admit that there have been times when I sought advice on where to see a specific thing in an area I was not familiar with, but it was due to time constraints and a desire to record it for the database. I never asked the question on a forum however...and I never shared the locality with anyone.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Interesting resurrection of a post.

Many of us have been less than cordial on requests like these…. Certainly guilty as charged here.
I’m not sure that folks new to herping understand this reluctance to share specific areas. It seems instant gratification is expected.

Here are some of the reasons I prefer not to share specific locations publicly:

… I’ve never herped and collected for commercial gains myself, but I have “herped” with legal, experienced, commercial collectors. These folks were consummate herpers and “in tune” to it being a renewable resource. These folks understood that it was self defeating to over collect a given area.
All that said, there is a way too healthy contigent of commercial collectors that rape and pillage with no regards for returning or preserving the location. On discovering one such group, I came close to going postal (when my PTSD was peaking.)

… I’ve pointed hobby herpers in the direction of a sweet spot, only to find this area being combed by an army of folks on subsequent outings.

… I’ve collected specimens for scientific vouchers and once shared a denning area with a university group, only to find later that the den was no longer viable at all.

… I’ve once asked a rancher permission to hunt a great tin field on his property. He said yes and asked later in the day if any snakes were found. I told him I found a few and then unashamedly lied to him that none were venomous and there was nothing to fear. The whole tin field was disced and cleaned up the following week.

… I knew a guy who put out a great board line, showed a “trusted friend” the locations, who showed a “trusted friend” the locations, who showed a “trusted friend” the locations, etc., etc., to the point his boards needed hinges and were being flipped almost daily during certain months, some without being returned to location.

I really don’t like pulling the “experience card”, but I do feel that you have to have the scars of time to fully understand how selective some of us are to share.

IMHO, fair questions for new folks:
What type of habitat should I look for animal X?
I’m traveling 1000 miles to an area I’ve found on the range map; can you tell me if animal X at least occurs there?
Where do I begin when I travel out of my home comfort zone?
When is a good season?
gbin

Post by gbin »

HornedFrog44 wrote:So my asking is really a nothing to lose and everything to gain type scenario...
This is the exact same motivation as that behind the Nigerian prince scam... :lol:

Folks here know that I see nothing wrong with sharing herping information - including on locations where one has had success finding this or that desirable species - if one wishes to do so (though of course one shouldn't share others' spots without their permission). Indeed, I've often posted to criticize those here who stage vicious attacks on people for coming anywhere close to sharing such information, as if these people have committed some kind of heinous crime against man and nature. Sure, some habitat destruction might occur and local stocks of animals might even be depleted at particularly popular and easy-to-access places, but 1) this is very likely already happening to at least some extent at such places, and 2) much more importantly, even in the worst cases it won't amount to any kind of far-reaching threat to either animal populations or their habitats. There's simply far too few people engaged in the live herp hobby and trade, and their methods are simply far too ineffective, to amount to such a threat. So the worst thing one might accomplish by sharing information is to make a particular spot less useful to him/herself and other herpers that visit it in the future (and quite probably not even that). Sure, I understand withholding information out of a selfish desire to protect one's spots - heck, I can at least imagine situations where I might do the same, myself - but people shouldn't mistakenly believe let alone pretend that it really amounts to anything more than that. Let's share or refrain from sharing our herping knowledge as suits us, and let others do the same. There's so much unwarranted paranoia in our hobby today, and we need to try to set it aside and unite rather than promote it and divide our community further than it already is.

All of that being said, even I wouldn't dream of providing the original poster with the requested information. The target species (which is protected by law), the preferred technique (utilizing sites created by illegal dumping) and the tone (arrogant is putting it mildly) expressed by HornedFrog44 combine to make him/her someone with whom I wouldn't want to share anything. That's my take on it, anyway. As I said, to each his/her own.

I should point out, too, though, that HF44's posts are so over-the-top suspicious and distasteful (with that combination of target species, preferred technique and tone) that I can't help but think this thread is actually just a troll by someone who is really opposed to sharing herping information, i.e. who is trying to stir the pot on the subject and thereby hopefully to scare some people away from helping people who ask for it. I might even think it was Señor Hubbs ;) except for the fact that I don't believe he generally posts under his own name in response to his aliases. (I could be wrong about that, though.) So I won't indulge a possible pot-stirrer by engaging in debate here. I've had my say and I'll let it stand on its own, hoping this thread simply dies before a fight breaks out among others. As I said, we should be trying to unite, not divide further.

Gerry

P.S. Bill, I hope the guy you knew with the "great board line" set it up on his own property or with the permission of the property owner. If not, I would most definitely have told someone about it: I would have told the authorities so that they could go after him for illegal dumping.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

How to properly introduce oneself to a new group, when asking for assistance: http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=8696
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

How to properly introduce oneself to a new group, when asking for assistance
OK,
That's too funny.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I totally missed that thread, as Mike said...I was working and oblivious. Nice intro El Garia... :lol:
I later asked El Garia to send Gary Nafis a PM. Gary thought he was me also...and the reply was un-printable... :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the record, I have no aliases on FHF. Those days have been gone for 10 years. I'm thinking of resurrecting Manual Labor though...just for old times sake...I theen so...
gbin

Post by gbin »

Brian Hubbs wrote:For the record, I have no aliases on FHF. Those days have been gone for 10 years. I'm thinking of resurrecting Manual Labor though...just for old times sake...I theen so...
I thought it had been a good long while since I'd seen a post by one of your aliases, Brian. Please don't go back to using them on my account! :o

Gerry
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I would never do anything on your account Gerry... :lol: You know that... ;) I would never even think of arguing with you on this forum... :roll:
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Brian Hubbs wrote: I later asked El Garia to send Gary Nafis a PM. Gary thought he was me also...and the reply was un-printable... :lol: :lol: :lol:
And it was the best reply... EVER! :lol: Gary is genius.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

BillMcGighan wrote:
How to properly introduce oneself to a new group, when asking for assistance
OK,
That's too funny.
Haha...!!! - That is outSTANDING....! - I'm from San Jose sooo... hahahaa...,

You guys on this site are great... :lol:
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

This is a tough community to join. I've been poking around Florida for a few years now and I still don't feel fully integrated with the other herpers around. Florida folks reading this - this is not a complaint. I'm just saying that a lot of herping is a solitary activity. Everybody has their good spots and their best spots, and they're usually not too keen on giving those away to a new person, an unfamiliar face or name.

Not just giving away spots but showing new people locations is weird too. "Hey strange person, want to meet in the middle of nowhere, turn over garbage, rusty metal, boards with nails and random trash looking around for animals that can put in the hospital?" You have no idea if they're gonna show up with a case of beer, a couple of joints, a mobile meth lab and a stack of pillowcases ready to collect or if they're gonna roll up in a clean pick-up with a dip-net, a couple of sodas and their friend from the local fish and game, ready to collect tissue samples for DNA analysis. The person you are meeting might have the exact same concerns about you. Seriously, meeting up with strangers you met on the internet in remote locations has got to be a plot to some horror movie. Any new women herpers out there are probably nervous about it too. It would be like a blind date, but instead of a public setting, its the middle of nowhere. What could go wrong in that situation? Age differences could be weird too for some folks. Imagine a 16 year old boy asking his mom if can go road cruisin' in some old stanger's car for hours on end.

And for somebody just coming into the hobby, looking for these things can be daunting if you choose to go it alone. I call it the rhythms of the location. The season and conditions for many species seem to be pretty regionally specific. I bet if I asked 10 different herpers from 10 different states from Florida to Minnesota the best time of year, conditions, and habitat to find a Tiger Salamander, I would get at least 8 different answers. This makes it tough for new people and people who find themselves having to move, or people exploring some far off distance. You might be a great herper in one location, never needing to rely on friends, and then you go off to college, take a vacation, or get a new job somewhere, and suddenly you can't find anything. For new people breaking into the hobby, it takes a lot more patience than other hobbies, and it can be really discouraging when you're trying to find anything and everybody around you is having more "luck" than you. You know its not luck, but what are you going to do? Especially if you have limited time like a vacation or even a few years because you are there for school and plan to move on to bigger and better things after you graduate. It takes time to learn an area. It takes even more time to know an area. Some people just don't have the time, so are they just screwed?

I'm not saying we should give away our best spots to everybody, or anybody for that matter. I'm just saying we can be a pretty exclusive club, and that makes it hard for outsiders to become integrated into our community.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I aint claiming to be psychic but I cant help but think no matter what op said to the contrary that he has a pet ceratophrys and he is itchin to get a zonata too.

they are both so badass, yo.
gbin

Post by gbin »

cj0000, if I still lived in the Gainesville area (I did for a long time) I'd happily take you out and show you some places I especially liked. If you've been trying without luck to find something in particular and I know a good spot for it I'd be happy to share that with you by PM, too. But then you give off a tremendously different vibe than does HF44 (who as I said gives off such a bad vibe that I suspect s/he's really just trolling).

There might not be as many people such as myself around in our hobby anymore, but there are certainly still some of us. Newcomers to an area (be they novices or experienced in the hobby) would do well to look for us in their local herp society if they're nervous about meeting up in some lonely place with someone they only know via the internet (which I can certainly understand).

Gerry
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Just noticed yesterday - This thread posted June 2 of 2011 - OP's last post was June 3, 2011

However, aside form that I do believe it is an important subject. The fact that I am not even a year into field herping and very much a noob, I'm here to learn from you guys. And so far, the information on this site is immensely valuable for me. I appreciate all the knowledge here, it's priceless.

For those who get on here, this Forum and straight out ask "where do you go herping, I need GPS coordinates" And follow a blatant request like that with "You have no obligation to help me out and I certainly do not blame you if you don't." -- Obviously has NO intention of respecting the natural habitat of the area you have worked to respect.

Herping is like fishing... it's NOT called catching, if it was everyone would go.

I am not talking 'collecting' - That is a different subject entirely. I have my personal opinions about collectors... let's just leave it at that.

Herping to me is a non formal invitation from the animals you are there to find for your Field Catalog. My interests are in rattlesnakes... and I take A LOT of time in cataloging where I look. I track the dates and times, the weather (temp, barometer etc.), elevation, GPS etc. And the moon phases. Yes... moon phase hhahhahaaaa. For this area, for me, for my rattlers... it works. Note: I did this BEFORE reading about it. I don't know, I had a hunch... so I tracked the moon, and lined them all up on calendar with the moon phases, and what in the worldddddddddd... success...!

But... GET THIS now..., I still go out and seriously look on the opposite moon phase of my catches... exactly! ---► HOW else would I know the method works :lol:

That's herping... herp herp... herp'a herp'a herpinggggggg...!
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

What just happened
daniel

Post by daniel »

I have no idea.
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

I like turtles!
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Fieldherper wrote:I like turtles!
So does this guy:

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/28/x ... d%3D553824
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

gbin wrote:cj0000, if I still lived in the Gainesville area (I did for a long time) I'd happily take you out and show you some places I especially liked. If you've been trying without luck to find something in particular and I know a good spot for it I'd be happy to share that with you by PM, too. But then you give off a tremendously different vibe than does HF44 (who as I said gives off such a bad vibe that I suspect s/he's really just trolling).

There might not be as many people such as myself around in our hobby anymore, but there are certainly still some of us. Newcomers to an area (be they novices or experienced in the hobby) would do well to look for us in their local herp society if they're nervous about meeting up in some lonely place with someone they only know via the internet (which I can certainly understand).

Gerry
First off, the few people I have interacted with in my area have been very friendly, and very helpful. These are good people down here. As far as finding stuff, I've had a great year so far, and it isn't over, but I do appreciate the offer Gerry.

Times have apparently changed. I don't know of a local herp society, though I have heard rumors of a Facebook page. I've heard that many people just use that to connect with other herpers. I don't use Facebook, so I'm in the dark.

My point was that because of the nature of herping, trust, friendships and relationships are very slow to build. This is something to be aware of when dealing with people requesting help - we might think they are just jerks but instead they could be new to the hobby not fully aware of our social mores. (For the record, my first post was requesting help). If we're trying to grow the community (am I wrong in assuming we're trying to do this?), a more diplomatic approach to requests for help may be of benefit. I raised concerns about meeting up with people because this is common advice offered to new people - it was offered to me when I first joined the forum.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Huh, there used to be a Gainesville Herpetological Society based right there in town. Does it no longer exist? If not, that's a pity.

Gerry