MONSOON Gathering

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

MONSOON Gathering

Post by Biker Dave »

Hey Everyone ---

Stay tuned for further information on the Annual Summer Monsoon Gathering in South Eastern Arizona.....

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Re: MONSOON Gathering

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Well, I plan to be in and around the Chiricahua Mtns most of the month of August, so let's have it out there? How about the weekend of the 21st/22nd?

* Pray for rain... ;)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

August 8 - 14 is the new moon period that would be better imo.

Dave
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

So whats up... is this open for anyone.

Ive been in AZ only once during the monsoon season... and since I tend to herp alot with the fam.. would definitely be interested in any tips available.
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

dezertwerx wrote:So whats up... is this open for anyone.

Ive been in AZ only once during the monsoon season... and since I tend to herp alot with the fam.. would definitely be interested in any tips available.
I'm stayng away from the Chiris this year. During monsoons it can become herpers central at that time of year. I am going to explore another Sky Island range that is very wildlife wealthy and is not so trodden by human traffic. There is still alot of AZ territory I haven't explored.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Biker Dave wrote:August 8 - 14 is the new moon period that would be better imo.

Dave

I'm booked that week, Dave... :(
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

by the way I meant tips regarding safety... things to look out for.

last thing I want is to get stuck somewhere with my girls in the truck.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Stay away from the illegals as they may be drug cartel people who will not take kindly to being discovered....

This sign is located 80 miles north of the US/Mexico border and 30 miles south of the capital Phoenix!
monklet

Post by monklet »

THIS IS A F***ING OUTRAGE :!: :!: :!: The drug smugglers are running the borderlands in AZ - that just ain't right. Our Border Patrol guys down there need some serious help. How are we going to fix Talibanistan if we can't even fix this? - more troops, drones, tactical nukes - whatever it takes let's turn it off! :evil:

Sorry, I'll go back to my room now.
monklet

Post by monklet »

One more thing - Did you hear that we've crossed new threshold. Now the cartels are issuing personalized vendettas targeting specific LE personnel on the border!
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Is SE AZ the only area of the state that goes off during the monsoons, or is the herping good all over? Don't know if I can get the time off to get down that far south and hunt it properly?

reako45
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

All of Arizona "goes off" during monsoon. But you need to be in the right place at the right time. It isnt like California where when it rains it seems to rain everywhere at once. Here in AZ during monsoon it could be raining like in the Noah's Ark story on one side of the street and be totally dry on the other. The deeper into monsoon you get the better your chances of things going off as the moisture level is more widespread and the herps aren't too worried about drying out.

Dave
reako45

Post by reako45 »

Thanks, Dave. I guess the being in the right spot @ the right time has been the tricky part on past hunts.

reako45
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I'm pretty much booked until mid-August. The weekend of the 21st/22nd is the first one I'm free. That one, the last in Aug, and the first two in September will probably be our best options. I prefer to do one in August, but let's hear what others have to say.

Any NAFHA member is welcome to join us. This will be a somewhat informal outing with a quick meeting of officers and the rest of the time folks will be pretty much free to do what they want. They can join the main group of AZ Chapter members, or go off on their own. The Chapter won't have any rigid plans, so we can just take advantage of what the weather offers. When it's too hot, we probably will go up in the mountains. When it's too cool in the mtns, we'll be down in the desert. Obviously, we'll do some road cruising, looking for "lifers" especially.

Even though it will be the monsoon season, there's no guarantee that it will rain. Last year was very dry, even during the monsoon season. Some things we had a really hard time seeing, like the usual amphibians and box turtles. Most years it's very wet and cool, however. The reptiles are harder to find, and we concentrate more on the amphibians. But we'll see what happens. Typically our field trips are very small, close knit groups.

Cheers...TC
craigb

Post by craigb »

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Not a bad idea, Craig. That is a better moon and it should still be pretty moist. What think y'all?

:) TC
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

It has possibilities........
craigb

Post by craigb »

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Here's a few of the things we saw in and around the Chiricahuas last season...

Some places are off-limits, and our licenses won't do any good here...

My friend, Eddie Sanchez, and I have been studying the turtle populations for about the last ten years...
Here's one trying to get off the road before we can get to it...
Close-up...

A few snakes on the road. A patchnose during daylight hours...
The ubiquitous Mojave rattler...
A desert kingsnake found on the road at night and photoed during the day...

Lots of herping in the mountains during the day...
A Sceloporus virgatus...

When it's too wet for reptiles we study the amphibian inhabitants: Couches, plains, and Mexican spadefoots; Great Plains toad; red-spotted toad; green toad; bullfrog; Chiricahua leopard frog; canyon treefrog; and tiger salamander.

PS: I'll be herping with Eddie in the 2nd week of August. We'll probably do our Chapter trip near the end of August/beginning of September some time. More later on that.

Terry
ratsnakehaven

BUMP!

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Labor Day Weekend, September 4, 5, and 6 is starting to sound pretty good for our Summer Monsoon AZ Chapter Field Trip.

I'll be out of state from the end of July to August 6th. I'll be spending the next ten days, or so, with Eddie Sanchez and crew on our annual outing/hiking/herping adventures. We need to fit in a trip to the McDowell Sonoran Conservancy sometime in August preferrably, so maybe the weekend of August 28th for the MSC.

How do these dates sound for most of you??

Terry Cox/ratsnakehaven
AZ Chapter Pres.
ratsnakehaven

BUMP!!

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Labor Day Weekend is still looking good for the Chapter "Monsoon" Outing. Post comments if you have any. If nothing is said there won't likely be any changes. Maybe there won't be any changes anyway...

Cheers...Terry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

How about the weekend after Labor Day? I think people may be busy getting there kids ready for school still, or trying to get in one last family outing before school starts ..... just my two cents.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Dave, I haven't heard anything from anybody, so I'm still thinking Labor Day Weekend is the best time. It's a three day weekend and a good moon phase. It works best for me anyway. Can you make that weekend?

Terry :beer:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I may not be able to make it that weekend (work). Thats why I suggested the following weekend.
Richard Legere

Post by Richard Legere »

I expect to be herping in the Sky Islands on September 9th, 10th and 11th while making my way back from west Texas. It would be great to meet a few NAFHA members in the field if an opportunity presents itself.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Dave, I can make that weekend too. Maybe we should make it the second weekend, so the most members can attend. Would you be able share a room?

Terry
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Would you be able share a room?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Fundad
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Fundud... :crazyeyes: :x :sleep:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I'm not sure if I can share a room (my pool pump motor died among other things- I'm looking at a $700 repair bill). I can sleep in my truck with no problem.

I would like to re-attack the Ritas .... that trail .... on at least one of the days.

I heard some folks from the Calif Chapter are going to be at Madera Cyn that weekend too...

Dave
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Fundud... :crazyeyes: :x :sleep:

Where did the sense of humor go around here these days?? Jez...

Fundad
craigb

Post by craigb »

Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I really didn't mean to offend anyone, its my twisted/stupid sense of humor...

I truly apologize, no offense was ment..

Fundud
Brandon La Forest

Post by Brandon La Forest »

Dont wory Fundad i thought it was funny :thumb: everyone else is just heterophobic ;)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Who all will be attending the Monsoon Gathering the weekend after Labor Day weekend?

It looks like Richard Legere will be in the area.
I'll be there.
I believe Terry (ratsnakehaven) will be there.
I think three or four people from Calif will be in the area too.

Who else? You can show for one day or the entire weekend, your choice.

Dave Weber
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Fundad wrote:I really didn't mean to offend anyone, its my twisted/stupid sense of humor...

I truly apologize, no offense was ment..

Fundud

No offense taken, Brain... ;) I thought it was funny too. My response was just a "mocking" gesture.

:beer:
Richard Legere

Post by Richard Legere »

I'm literally hours from departing on a two week monsoon trip 8-) . I may not have access to FHF before the weekend after Labor Day - at least not via a regular computer. I do have a new Verizon droid phone, so I might be able to check FHF using the phone where I have a signal. If I know where the gathering will occur and it doesn't conflict with a friend's travel plans, I'll try to make it. I do need to be at the Tucson Airport early in the morning on September 12th to see a friend off. After that, I have all day to continue herping!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

With respect to the photos I posted earlier in this strand, the turtle being held was picked up off the road and moved to the side to protect it from the passing vehicles. The turtles were also well hydrated, as it was raining, and they had been soaking, which I'm sure they were able to do again after we passed by. It's ok to move them off the road, as I posted in an earlier post...

[I went to the site to get forms for desert box turtle sitings and read this paragraph...

"The data requested for the Ornate Box Turtle Watch will not require you to handle the turtle. Remember that box turtles are protected in Arizona, so picking one up is illegal, and more importantly, it could be detrimental to its survival. Box turtles often void the contents of their bladder when disturbed (such as when picked up by humans), which can lead to dehydration and possibly death for a wild animal that lives in the desert. The only time you may handle a wild box turtle in Arizona is to move it off the road; but remember to only stop for a box turtle on the road if it is safe for you to do so – be observant of oncoming traffic and availability of road shoulders."

I think it's a pretty good idea not to pick the turtles up for the reasons stated, but it also says it's ok to move them off the road. I've seen them on Hwy-80 before and have moved them to the side of the road, so they wouldn't get hit by a fast moving vehicle. I would expect the same rule applies to other protected herps, such as the massasauga rattlesnake. At least I'm taking it that way so far. If anyone knows differently, please let us know.

I usually see lots of turtles when I go to the Chiricahuas during the monsoon season. I like to take lots of pics, because they are so endearing and photogenic, when not hiding inside their shells. The box turtle is one of the few turtles we have in AZ and as such are kinda special. I don't think "listing" them does a lot to protect them, because it doesn't necessarily protect any habitat, but such is life. I hope this study does help the AZG&F to learn more about the turtles and their habitat, behaviors, etc, so they can get better at protecting them and their habitat.

I'll be off to the Chiris in less than 24 hours. Wishing myself luck in seeing stuff...

TC]

PS: We got back from our road trip about a week ago and we didn't see any turtles this year. We hit it at a time when there wasn't very much rain. So we didn't get any info for the turtle project this year.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Richard, I think we'll be in the Chiricahuas on Friday/Saturday, the 10th/11th. I'm not sure who will be showing up other than myself, but if we do have folks there, we'll have an outing planned. I'm suggesting we meet at the Portal Lodge at around 7 am, Saturday morning.

Best...Terry :beer:

PS: Contact info at www.ratsnakehaven.com

Richard Legere wrote:I'm literally hours from departing on a two week monsoon trip 8-) . I may not have access to FHF before the weekend after Labor Day - at least not via a regular computer. I do have a new Verizon droid phone, so I might be able to check FHF using the phone where I have a signal. If I know where the gathering will occur and it doesn't conflict with a freind's travel plans, I'll try to make it. I do need to be at the Tucson Airport early in the morning on September 12th to see a friend off. After that, I have all day to continue herping!
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Wish I could have made a change in plans but... due to the additional days off of work, I will be heading out there this weekend if all goes well. If anyone else is planning on being out there let me know.

Really would like to meet some of you AZ herpers.

Take Care,

Richard :thumb:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I can't make it, 'cus we are having company over the weekend.. ;(

TC
Richard Legere

Post by Richard Legere »

Is anyone still planning to be in the Chiricahuas on Friday/Saturday, the 10th/11th? I have arranged my schedule to be staying in Portal on Friday night, but everyone seems to be dropping out of the gathering for various reasons.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Richard Legere wrote:Is anyone still planning to be in the Chiricahuas on Friday/Saturday, the 10th/11th? I have arranged my schedule to be staying in Portal on Friday night, but everyone seems to be dropping out of the gathering for various reasons.

Yes!

I couldn't get out the last two weekends because of constant family visiting, but I'll be there this coming weekend. I'll be around Portal, Friday night, and will plan an outing for Saturday, if anyone shows up.

If you want to be in on the plans for Saturday or want to cruise together Friday night, call me on my cell (520/390-6997) before Friday. I might be hanging around Portal Friday night before dinner, around five-ish. Otherwise, I have some targets to look for...heheh!

Terry
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

ratsnakehaven wrote:With respect to the photos I posted earlier in this strand, the turtle being held was picked up off the road and moved to the side to protect it from the passing vehicles. The turtles were also well hydrated, as it was raining, and they had been soaking, which I'm sure they were able to do again after we passed by. It's ok to move them off the road, as I posted in an earlier post...
Terry... is that you in the pic holding the box turle? If it is you look different in every pic I see you in. Also I think that pic is not far from my place. I talk alot with my neighbors to see what they find around the area but they have never seen a box turtle yet (or from what they remember). Cool find Terry. :)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Nope..that's my friend, Eddie. That pic is from east of the Chiricahua Mtns. Your place isn't in that area, is it?

DesertZone wrote:Terry... is that you in the pic holding the box turle? If it is you look different in every pic I see you in. Also I think that pic is not far from my place. I talk alot with my neighbors to see what they find around the area but they have never seen a box turtle yet (or from what they remember). Cool find Terry. :)
Richard Legere

Post by Richard Legere »

Thanks for the response Terry. I'm en route to Portal now and will probably be there into Sunday afternoon. I'll make sure I'm at the Portal Peak Lodge on Friday around 5 PM for dinner. Just look for the long-haired mangy dude with the long goatee 'n chops and both ears pierced :lol: I'll call the cell phone number you provided before I drive out of signal range.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

ratsnakehaven wrote:Nope..that's my friend, Eddie. That pic is from east of the Chiricahua Mtns. Your place isn't in that area, is it?
Sorry about the mix-up Terry I thought you said it was you that moved the box turtle off the road in the pic.

My mistake I thought the secound pic was in the sulpher valley. Have you ever seen any in that area? You can give me pm if you want. :)
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

OK everyone ..... meeting point is Saturday at Portal Lodge in Portal AZ.

See youse guys there.

Dave
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Boy, Friday night was dead. Other than meeting Richard L. and Kris Haas, it was disappointing. I not only didn't find any of my targets, I didn't see any snakes at all, just a few toads and inverts.

Saturday morning I met up with Dave Weber (Bkr Dave) and went for a little road cruise, got some gas, and went back to the Lodge for breakfast. Had a good meeting with Richard and his herping buddy, Dave. Then Bkr Dave and I decided to head west to do some herping in new areas, the others staying in the east for the rest of the morning. We still didn't see much, other than a few of the usual lizards. We finally made our way back to the Santa Ritas and had a pretty good time in the mountains. Ended up seeing three nice snakes of various species and many morphed out frogs and toads.

On the way home saw one atrox and that was it. Now I'm back to herping in my yard and planning future events. Next big thing is the Tucson Herp Show, I believe. Hope to see some of you there.

Terry :sleep:
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Are you sure it was me Terry? It coulda been Aaron! ;)

Just kiddin'....good to run into you. If it's any consolation, Rich and I didn't see much that night either.

-Kris