snake hook question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

herpin man

snake hook question

Post by herpin man »

i am going to buy a new hook and i was looking at the midwest tongs mark o'shea hook. does anyone have any opinions about it?
justinm

Re: snake hook question

Post by justinm »

I have the 40" and it's fantastic. I have seen the stump rippers, and it's just as tough as their single shaft in my opinion.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

I don't have one, simply because I haven't gotten around to picking one up...
I have a couple friends that swear by that hook.
Schell

Post by Schell »

I carry around the 29" in the field with me a lot. Its portable and tough as can be. I use it to flip logs, clear brush, climb fences, you name it. I'd prefer the 40 for actually working with the snakes, but the 29 is so convenient and I rarely run into crotes in Nor-cal and when I travel I usually have my tongs with me also.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

I have a 40" tong and its a little overkill... even with crotes... In my opinion anyways (as if it matters)

next one will definitely be a bit shorter and definitely just a hook....
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

I have the field hook from midwest. Dang thing broke my first day using it and no one ever returned any calls/emails about replacing it. Go for the good stuff from Furmont.
kansascrote

Post by kansascrote »

I have the 29 inch hook. I thought it would be great for small or mid size crotes! But the hook is so LARGE it makes working with smaller snakes hard! I do use it at home as a second hook on larger crotes and for that it works well! I will stay with my old Furmont Hook for feild work!
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I have the midwest collapsible hook. It's a nice hook but I don't have much need for it in the places I herp. It was useful getting a racer in place for photographs once.
cgparis

Post by cgparis »

I've been using the midwest standard 40" for years now. My first one got stolen so I just bought another one. Never had any problems. Strong as hell in my opinion and I've lifted some pretty big rocks and logs with it. The new design adds about an extra half inch to the hook which makes it better for flipping. Plus its the perfect length to keep you out of range of those hots.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

I bought a standard cheapo hook from them 10 years ago. I have used it very heavily and it has been a perfectly reliable tool.
Dan
justinm

Post by justinm »

Josh Holbrook wrote:I have the field hook from midwest. Dang thing broke my first day using it and no one ever returned any calls/emails about replacing it. Go for the good stuff from Furmont.

I'm 6' 250lbs and use mine to haul my keister up steep hils with my full weight. I have a difficult time believing that it broke in the course of what I would call normal use. Furmont is even harder to get a hold of. I think you're either being obtuse or you're just a fan of Furmont. I just really like the one I have. It's been solid for a few years of use now.
Jason Thullbery

Post by Jason Thullbery »

Josh Holbrook wrote:I have the field hook from midwest. Dang thing broke my first day using it and no one ever returned any calls/emails about replacing it. Go for the good stuff from Furmont.
I know Josh isn't just a fanboy of Furmont but he can't complain too much because I seem to remember him using it for something it isn't meant to do...like prying or something. I know the way it is bent can't be from just usual flipping.

I just got a hook off ebay from a guy who has sold hooks to friends. Can't find his profile at the moment but the hook I just got seems great. It is double shafted (he puts one golf shaft into another for strength and then welds on the hook end). It is a bit heavier than my midwest hook but it seems a lot more durable. If I can find his profile I'll post his link (I am not just promoting this guy, I don't know him personally or have any affiliation with him).
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I like my Midwest stuff. I'm not a shill for the company, but I will say I do tend to favor them because they're local, and they support my local herp society with donations of equipment etc. for our annual fundraising auction.
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

I have used hooks and tongs. Now they don't come with me except for a pair of tongs in the car to move hots off the road, but the tongs are rarely necessary. I would recommend using nothing... it just attracts attention.

Later, Matt
herpin man

Post by herpin man »

kansascrote wrote:I have the 29 inch hook. I thought it would be great for small or mid size crotes! But the hook is so LARGE it makes working with smaller snakes hard! I do use it at home as a second hook on larger crotes and for that it works well! I will stay with my old Furmont Hook for feild work!

is the diameter rod used used for the hook bigger, or the opening of the hook?
how does the size compare with the standard hook

-herpin man
kansascrote

Post by kansascrote »

Both really, the rod used to make the hook is .374 and the hook is quite large? I have other midwest products and the quality is good. I just really dont like this one and that may be just me.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I'm with you on that one. I like a smaller opening on the jaws. Seems to be easier to manage pretty much anything if the opening isn't 2-3x as wide as the body is thick if that makes sense.
That said I rarely bring hooks and tongs to the field. They see more use at home with my captives, particularly my retics.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Hooks attract a great deal of attention. I rarely bring mine out. It is usually assumed you are doing something destructive.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

I didn't have time to elaborate earlier, but when I say "heavy use" I mean: I'm a big son of a gun, and I use my hook for a walking stick, defensive weapon, for lifting, smashing dead limbs off of trees, and general, unintended mischief. Other than the tip getting a bit bent (it is easily bent back) the thing has been solid.

I also have a "short stick" that I used in my collection and a bit in the field. It has a wooden handle and a coiled metal handle attachment. I left it on a hill once and found it the next spring. Other than a bit of rust, it is tip top. I'd say their hooks are of the highest quality that one could expect from a hook company.

You may be able to find better, but you won't need to.
Dan
Jason_Hood

Post by Jason_Hood »

Not gonna waste money on another field hook from Midwest. Mine is bent about 19 different ways from use over the last 5-6 years in the field and it is at the point that it feels like it will snap at any moment.

A guy named John Zegel on Facebook just made me some collapsible hooks to fit in suitcases and his medium one is super strong and a great hook that I look forward to using, his large size is good for pythons or giant puffies but like the O'shea I think the hook opening is too big for most snakes. When I get back from my trip I am gonna test out his standard field hook and buy myself a medium collapsible as this one is a gift. He makes custom hooks too if you have a special use/need. I don't know him at all but I like his hooks that I have seen so far and I think he is in the Southeast hot herp society, so I am sure some of you guys know him.

Jason
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I've got to ask: a snake hook as a defensive weapon?
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

justinm wrote:

I'm 6' 250lbs and use mine to haul my keister up steep hils with my full weight. I have a difficult time believing that it broke in the course of what I would call normal use. Furmont is even harder to get a hold of. I think you're either being obtuse or you're just a fan of Furmont. I just really like the one I have. It's been solid for a few years of use now.
Jason Thullbery wrote: I know Josh isn't just a fanboy of Furmont but he can't complain too much because I seem to remember him using it for something it isn't meant to do...like prying or something. I know the way it is bent can't be from just usual flipping.

I just got a hook off ebay from a guy who has sold hooks to friends. Can't find his profile at the moment but the hook I just got seems great. It is double shafted (he puts one golf shaft into another for strength and then welds on the hook end). It is a bit heavier than my midwest hook but it seems a lot more durable. If I can find his profile I'll post his link (I am not just promoting this guy, I don't know him personally or have any affiliation with him).

I don't have a Furmont stump ripper (yet) but I've seen em work their wonders and the some of the best herpers I know use a stump ripper. My pro hook broke from lifting a refrigerator (not prying, Jason). Not bashing midwest - their normal hooks are good for handling, just recounting my personal experience.
kansascrote

Post by kansascrote »

All fun intended Dan; do you need a permit to carry your snake hook as a weapon? After all this discussion, myself included I think snake hooks are an individual thing? I think what works well for one person fails for another. My friend uses a small 24 inch hook on just about everything! I have almost wet my pants watching but it works for him! So I think if you like it and feel comfortable in the field with it????? Use what you like! Besides it is not the hook that makes the herper!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

kansascrote wrote:All fun intended Dan; do you need a permit to carry your snake hook as a weapon?
Dan needs a permit to carry ME as a weapon.

Wait...I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to mean.
Sean Lundy

Post by Sean Lundy »

Go to goodwill buy a few golf clubs make a few hooks find out what you like keep reworking it till you got one you love. Midwest is way to spendy for me i used to have a standard hook but broke it quickly. I do love there red mini hooks though they rock i have handled large crotes and small crotes with it and it works amazing.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Bought a Stump Ripper many years ago and it has served me wonderfully ever since. It was pricey, sure, but it was the first and I reckon will be the last field hook I ever buy. I can't imagine how much time and effort/money I might have spent over the same time period had I instead opted for a series of lesser or build-your-own hooks that served me less well.

Gerry