Ouachita Mountains

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

OkieHerper

Ouachita Mountains

Post by OkieHerper » April 27th, 2011, 8:41 am

First off, I want to apologize for the crappy pictures. Since there would be slim chance at lifers, the only camera I hiked with was my phone.

After a few years away, I decided to make a run through my old research area and see if we could pull off the endemic trifecta. After 6 hours and 100 miles, here is what we found.

Our first stop turned up 2 Caddo Mtn. Salamanders, 1 Ouachita Dusky Salamander, and 1 Prairie/Mississippi Ringneck.

We weren't after numbers, so we quickly headed toward our next target. On our way we found this oddly shaped Mississippi Mud Turtle

Not long after reaching our next spot, we turned up 3 Western Slimy Salamanders, 2 Fouche Mtn Salamanders and Several Southern Redback Salamanders (only took 1 pic which turned out to be out of focus)

Again, we weren't after numbers, so as soon as we found a couple of Fourche, we headed back toward Mena. Up Rich Mtn we go to attempt to complete the trifecta. Well since Rich Mtn. Salamanders are typically the easiest I figured we would strike out on them, lol. Boy was I wrong. In only 10 minutes, we turned up 11 of these beauties.

In just under 6 hours (most of which was driving between sites), we both pulled off the Ouachita endemic trifecta! Even though we didn't find high numbers of individuals or species, and no lifers, I think this was a great afternoon of herping. Hope you enjoyed.

Josh Engelbert
Copan, OK

Mulebrother

Re: Ouachita Mountains

Post by Mulebrother » April 27th, 2011, 9:15 am

I humbly bow in your presence sir. Nice work.
I thought about ya'll when the tornados were dropping out of the clouds! You'd think you could have stayed at home for that. :lol:

Jason B

Post by Jason B » April 27th, 2011, 9:45 am

Nice job! With the D. brimleyorum you could consider it an endemic grand slam, no?

corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond » April 27th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Interesting group of animals for sure. Very interesting that the fourch mt salamanders are sympatric with glutinosis. Did you find any glutinosis in the same places as the caddo mt. salamander or the rich mtn salamander?

-Corey

ksuglennj

Post by ksuglennj » April 27th, 2011, 2:54 pm

That is a Herculean effort of driving, nice work Josh.

Glenn

troy hibbitts

Post by troy hibbitts » April 27th, 2011, 3:59 pm

corey.raimond wrote:Interesting group of animals for sure. Very interesting that the fourch mt salamanders are sympatric with glutinosis. Did you find any glutinosis in the same places as the caddo mt. salamander or the rich mtn salamander?

-Corey
I've found albagula (glutinosus-complex) salamanders sympatric with ouachitae on both Winding Stair and Rich Mountain - and in quite a specific sites. Don't recall ever finding an albagula in the Caddos, but I've herped there far less extensively.

Troy

OkieHerper

Post by OkieHerper » April 27th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Jason B wrote:Nice job! With the D. brimleyorum you could consider it an endemic grand slam, no?
Suppose so, lol.
corey.raimond wrote:Interesting group of animals for sure. Very interesting that the fourch mt salamanders are sympatric with glutinosis. Did you find any glutinosis in the same places as the caddo mt. salamander or the rich mtn salamander?-Corey
I have found glutinosis close to all of the above. I've even found several slimies inside the mine shafts that host upwards of 200 caddos.

JakeScott

Post by JakeScott » April 28th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Awesome post. The last time I went to the area we only managed to find juvenile fourchensis. But several were found. I think we only found one (after several a hour) ouachitae. This makes me need to make another trip.

-Jake

walk-about

Post by walk-about » May 2nd, 2011, 4:14 pm

Loved the crazy mis-shaped mud turtle. Nice post!

RocK ON!