Early Spring in Ontario

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

thinkin_feller

Early Spring in Ontario

Post by thinkin_feller »

I've made it out to a few of my favourite spots in the last two weeks in between bouts of snow, and thought I would post a few of my pictures, beginning with my favourite animals.... turtles.

My first find of the year was an adult female Blanding's....

I've since found another 8 Blanding's bringing my total to 9 on the year, here are a couple of more...

This girl had quite a few leeches on her, a couple of which are visible in the photo...

I was also able to find 3 spotted turtles this past Thursday, in an area not far from where the Blanding's were found. Only 1 of the 3 seemed willing to pose for my camera....

Here's a Midland painted....

I was also able to watch as many garter snakes left their Winter den...

I haven't had much luck with amphibians yet this Spring, other than a dozen or so Eastern redback salamanders

Because this is my first post, I thought I would include some of my favourite shots from last year aswell...

Eastern hognose....

A massassauga....

Eastern Milk, and an ugly bugger at that....

Eastern spiny softshell....

Common snapper....

Grays treefrog....

Blue spotted salamander....

Thanks for looking,
Dan
Antonsrkn

Re: Early Spring in Ontario

Post by Antonsrkn »

Awesome post, Blandings are an excellent way to start the year and its amazing you have seen 9 already. I think I'm going to go see if any are moving at my blandings spot this next weekend, I had thought it was too early yet. Loved that pile of garters so many different shades of snake in that one photo from melanistic to reddish. And of course excellent finds and pics from last year, looking forward to seeing more from you.
Blue Smaggie

Post by Blue Smaggie »

Like your pics. Especially the garter snake ones are cool. Also like the two pics of the eastern hognose. Not too bad!
Nir

Post by Nir »

Good post Dan! Love the blandings turtle! I have yet to see one of these.

Looks like spring is much earlier your way...
thinkin_feller

Post by thinkin_feller »

Thanks for the comments guys!

@Nick - Funny seeing you here, looks like you had a productive Winter in Florida. Im planning a trip either the last weekend of May or the first weekend of June in the Georgian Bay area, there should be lots of Blanding's seen. Let me know if you're interested in coming, I'll let you know whats going on as the plans are cemented.

Thanks again,
Dan
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Awesome post!! Thanks for sharing your great photographs

- Cam
Jon Wedow

Post by Jon Wedow »

Awesome start to the year! I am yet to make it out and find any reptiles but hopefully that will change soon.
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

Welcome, Dan! Looks like you've got a pretty good haul so far this year, and last year as well. I could be mistaken, but is that Spotted Turtle missing its front right foot?
thinkin_feller

Post by thinkin_feller »

Hey Jon, still haven't made it out yet this year huh? It's been nearly a week for me, the weather has been pretty ignorant, but tonight could be good for roadcruising frogs... hopefully it warms up a little this afternoon.

Nick, very good eye! This spotty is actually missing both of his front feet. I have found and photographed this individual a few times now in the last several years, so he seems to be doing just fine without them.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hi Dan,

Love an Ontario post, especially with sat-boosted pics! Thanks for posting. Back home in ON May 1-9.
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

thinkin_feller wrote:Nick, very good eye! This spotty is actually missing both of his front feet. I have found and photographed this individual a few times now in the last several years, so he seems to be doing just fine without them.
Are raccoons a problem in the area? I know a lot of turtles here in Michigan including Spotties seem to get these types of injuries from coons.
thinkin_feller

Post by thinkin_feller »

Nick Scobel wrote:
thinkin_feller wrote:Nick, very good eye! This spotty is actually missing both of his front feet. I have found and photographed this individual a few times now in the last several years, so he seems to be doing just fine without them.
Are raccoons a problem in the area? I know a lot of turtles here in Michigan including Spotties seem to get these types of injuries from coons.
Ontario turtles face the same issues with subsidized predators that Michegan populations do. It's very possible that this animals injuries are from a raccoon. Last year I found a female painted turtle during nesting season whos face and front limbs had been completely torn apart by a coon while laying her eggs. The animal was still alive, but probably didn't last long due to the extent of her injuries. I did snap a couple of pictures, but they're pretty gruesome.

@Warren, hopefully the weather down here has improved somewhat before your visit. Temps were slightly above 10 degrees today for the first time in a week.