Trapping snakes, anyone have any experience with it?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Russ_Jones

Trapping snakes, anyone have any experience with it?

Post by Russ_Jones »

I remember a while back, maybe before the site crashed, there was a great thread on snakes that had been caught for a study using a drift fence and funnel traps. I'v never used this method to catch snakes but would love to learn more about it. If you have any experience or knowledge on the subject please get in touch with me via PM or email.

Cheers,

Russ
scott s

Re: Trapping snakes, anyone have any experience with it?

Post by scott s »

One of the coolest things in the world to do.

Too bad everything that is really fun is usually illegal.

Funnel traps work great when implemented properly, especially for those really hard to find varieties ;)

Setting out boards is sort of, kinda a form of trapping, except you have to check the "trap" at just the right time.

Trapping large lizards is even more fun :idea:
Russ_Jones

Post by Russ_Jones »

Thanks Scott. Does anybody else have any information on this subject?

Cheers,

Russ
HerperChance

Post by HerperChance »

I've used a big minnow trap, cut out the holes a little more. then put it beside a concrete bridge, covered it with sticks, i had about 25 northern waters in it, it was pretty cool, first time I've ever done it.
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Be careful of raccoons and skunks! They may end up getting more snakes than you do.
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

There are risks to such successfull methods of collecting snakes, even if it is just for a quick photo and release. Predation can cause havoc as both predator and prey species will fall into the same trap. Further, while in traps these animals often arn't feeding, breeding, thermoregulating and may be quite stressed. The above is a perfect example: 25 snakes in one trap is an awesome catch, unless you're one of those snakes crammed in there looking for a way out.

Field herping is an awesome hobby. I personally don't want to see some of the more intense forms of wildlife monitoring become commonplace.

Ian
jcurzon

Post by jcurzon »

I agree with Ian. The use of trapping, if effective, is simply too great a threat to local populations and individuals unless done very carefully and checked very frequently---the inability of trapped snakes to thermoregulate alone can easily and quickly become a death sentence. Trapping should only be done if (1) it is legal (whether because of permits or otherwise) and (2) there is a scientific justification, not merely the desire to acquire and possess as many snakes as possible.

The use of traps for personal amusement should be frowned upon, to put it mildly.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Good points Ian and Curzon. :thumb:
HerperChance

Post by HerperChance »

I do agree about the risks. It was the first and last time i ever did that, but these snakes were in the shade. no harm done. but it would be a great way to find target species if necessary, check out "A Snake Hunting Guide II" they have great advice and techniques.
jcurzon

Post by jcurzon »

I'm glad to hear it went fine in your case, and understand why one might do it out of curiosity. But honestly, given that there are more than six billion people in the world, and growing, and given the pressures that places on species and habitats, I don't think it is wise to spread knowledge about intensive collection techniques like trapping --- especially not in an essentially public forum, with quasi-anonymous users who may or may not care about their impacts. Human nature being what it is, even if everyone who has communicated on this thread thus far has the best of intentions (as they very well may), you can be sure that someone will see the information who does not have the best intentions.

It would be nice to think that such information could be made easily available to everyone, and that everyone could be trusted to act responsibly with it --- but that is not reality. So I stand by what I said --- trapping should only be done legally, responsibly, and only when justified by a scientific purpose. Further, information on trapping should not be shared in public forums with users one does not know; if one has a need to know, for scientific reasons, there are channels for getting that information. Otherwise, let those seeking such information work for it.
Russ_Jones

Post by Russ_Jones »

jcurzon wrote:I'm glad to hear it went fine in your case, and understand why one might do it out of curiosity. But honestly, given that there are more than six billion people in the world, and growing, and given the pressures that places on species and habitats, I don't think it is wise to spread knowledge about intensive collection techniques like trapping --- especially not in an essentially public forum, with quasi-anonymous users who may or may not care about their impacts. Human nature being what it is, even if everyone who has communicated on this thread thus far has the best of intentions (as they very well may), you can be sure that someone will see the information who does not have the best intentions.

It would be nice to think that such information could be made easily available to everyone, and that everyone could be trusted to act responsibly with it --- but that is not reality. So I stand by what I said --- trapping should only be done legally, responsibly, and only when justified by a scientific purpose. Further, information on trapping should not be shared in public forums with users one does not know; if one has a need to know, for scientific reasons, there are channels for getting that information. Otherwise, let those seeking such information work for it.
I respect and applaud your caution. Fwiw I use my real name and am inquiring for legitimate, scientific and entirely appropriate reasons. I also asked for pms and emails, not for the info to be made public. I have received the info I require, thanks for your comments and even more so for your hesitance in releasing such information.

Cheers,

Russ