Fires: Flagstaff and Chiricahuas...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnakehaven

Fires: Flagstaff and Chiricahuas...

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The news reported a devastating fire in the Flagstaff area yesterday. Families at the base of a mtn just north of Flagstaff had to be evacuated. The crown fire was unstoppable and was burning the entire mountain. I guess we'll find out later if that will be good or bad for herps, as I have very little info, yet. No people were hurt as far as I know.

A fire has been burning in the Chiricahuas, just south of Portal, for about a month now. It has burned about 3,000 acres. Cave Creek has been protected to some degree, as has the human structures, but I'm not sure how the damage will affect the area for herping. There might be erosion from denuded hillsides. I've heard that the fire didn't burn too hot in much of the area, so might be good for the habitat overall.

PS: We'll probably have our Summer Field Trip to the area of the Chiricahuas and Portal in the third week of August. The fire should be out by then, given some monsoon rains before that time.

Terry
Schell

Re: Fires: Flagstaff and Chiricahuas...

Post by Schell »

I was in the Chiricahuas during the second week of the fire when the whole park was shut down. According to the many firefighters that I spoke with while I was there, the fire was very low intensity, in fact, disappointingly so. Even from SWRS, less than 2 miles away from the fire, we saw very little smoke, except at night when the cool air would force the smoke down the canyons.

They wanted it to burn stronger to clear out some of the old growth chaparral and scrub, but the fire just wasn't cooperating. They had 850 firefighters and hotshot crews on stand-by and clearing veg along roads and set some back-burns that worked too well and took a lot of the wind out of the fires' sails. They ended up pulling out a good number of the personnel and widening the perimeter to 5 miles to monitor the fire's progression. When I left, it was 25% contained.

At the time and I presume now, as well, they have the means to put it out but are letting it run it's course, till the monsoons come and take care of business.

Anyway, that was the word fro the front lines as of a couple weeks ago.
Correcamino

Post by Correcamino »

We,ve actually had five major fires around Flag this week. The Schultz Pass Fire (the one you mention) originated only a couple miles north of my house. Luckily the prevailing wind blew it away from my house. I don't see much affect on herps by this fire except fence lizards. Not really much herpwise where the fire occured.

Rich
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Schell, thanks for the front line report... :)

CC, glad to hear the fire didn't get to your neighborhood. I'm thinking it might clear a good portion of land that will be good for herps when it grows back in grass, weeds, bushes, etc.

TC
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I think the last time Flag saw this much fire was when Mt Elden burned up in the 60's. When I was up there in the early 90's I only remember a few spot fires but nothing too huge except that one on the rim above Sedona.

Dave