HB1788 being voted on today...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

infidel

HB1788 being voted on today...

Post by infidel »

Texas HB1788 will be heard in front of committee today and ultimately voted on. Key Points if you decide to call your rep:
1.) allows ONLY walking the right of ways, NO ROAD CRUISING
2.) Will have to wear a reflective vest when walking the ROW
3.) Will have to purchase a Stamp along WITH a hunting license to herp anywhere in the state.
4.) If inacted, TP&WL has 1.5 years to come up with the stamp program and UNTIL then ANY and ALL herping may be illegal until then.
That is all..
Paul White

Re: HB1788 being voted on today...

Post by Paul White »

I'm torn. I'd like collecting on the ROW to be legal again for sure, but the 1.5 year thing...ugh!
I don't collect personally but it'd be nice to not have to worry about say, having the snake in hand/tongs while moving it for better shots or something...depending on how pissy the warden in the area is.
infidel

Post by infidel »

Paul White wrote:I'm torn. I'd like collecting on the ROW to be legal again for sure, but the 1.5 year thing...ugh!
I don't collect personally but it'd be nice to not have to worry about say, having the snake in hand/tongs while moving it for better shots or something...depending on how pissy the warden in the area is.
Thats the saddest part. I'm not a collector either. I haven't had a snake in my house in almost 10 years. I have evolved/devolved (whichever one may choose to see it as) into a photographer. Unfortunately, this sometimes requires me to move the animal, pose it, place in under some type of cover (for it to relax) to get the shot. In some rare cases, I need to keep the animal until daylight for better shots. All this puts me into direct potential head butting with Game Wardens, whom I respect and would hate to get cross with. Someday however, my son may choose to go with me and keep a snake or two like I did when I was a kid. But the fine state of Texas has decided that this should be criminal behavior. :crazyeyes: One thing I hope everyone keeps in mind, its not the Wardens who have put us in this adversarial position with Parks and Wildlife. It was a small minority there in Austin who have chosen to label us as criminals. I call many Wardens friends and would like to keep them that way. As such, if I get the urge to herp, I will take my tourist dollars to NM, AZ or CA until the state of Texas decides to pulls it head out of its A$$.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Updates? Pass or not?
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1788

"Reported favorably as substituted" - looks like it now goes to a floor vote in House - it passed out of committee. Here's a visual:

Cheers,
Jimi
infidel

Post by infidel »

Jimi wrote:http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1788

"Reported favorably as substituted" - looks like it now goes to a floor vote in House - it passed out of committee. Here's a visual:

Cheers,
Jimi
I will probably go to local and consent committee and never make it to the house floor, then on to the Senate where I'm assuming SB275 will be tweaked to mirror the HB. It will be then voted on in committee and if unanimously passed, on to a local in consent in the Senate side (no floor vote needed). After consolidation, on to the governor for signature. The original language of the bill was changed to insure that we will only be able to walk the NON-PAVED shoulders of the roads. So the people in South Texas and East Texas, crippled, elderly, very young or with medical problems are left out in the cold. You will have to buy a stamp and hunting license and wear a vest with 44 sq. inches of reflective material. The good? you'll be able to herp the shoulders in the Trans-Pecos again on foot. The River Road and Black Gap will be a point of contention I'm sure.
We will know something within 3-4 to four weeks.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

Damn that "non paved" bit pisses me off. Would this make it legal to collect on other public lands? Like not state parks but state forest/prairie and the like?
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

So, it passed House today (presumably Local & Consent as discussed by Infidel, now on to Senate?).

Agreed, the language is restrictive, even punitive. On the other hand it's better than nothing. Is this part of an incrementalist strategy to restore what existed pre-ban? Or presumably the end of the road, at least for present champions?

Cheers,
Jimi
infidel

Post by infidel »

Jimi wrote:So, it passed House today (presumably Local & Consent as discussed by Infidel, now on to Senate?).

Agreed, the language is restrictive, even punitive. On the other hand it's better than nothing. Is this part of an incrementalist strategy to restore what existed pre-ban? Or presumably the end of the road, at least for present champions?

Cheers,
Jimi
Actually for some reason, it made it for a floor vote probably for the sole purpose of another amendment. It was amended by a Rep. that was supposed to be on our side to be more restrictive; no spot lights connected to a motor vehicle. It passed and is on its way to the Senate for votes. We are being sold out at every turn by the very people that are supposed to be on our side. Rep. King was the ONLY one who had our backs, period...Someday, the American people are going to tire of this Royal/peasant system of government. True representation is no more.
BChambers

Post by BChambers »

If we have to get our rights back a little at a time, and fight tooth and nail every legislative session, then so be it. If we take two steps forward and one back, we can still eventually arrive at our destination, eh?
infidel

Post by infidel »

BChambers wrote:If we have to get our rights back a little at a time, and fight tooth and nail every legislative session, then so be it. If we take two steps forward and one back, we can still eventually arrive at our destination, eh?
Agreed, the fight is far from over. We just need to re-evaluate with whom we align ourselves with. I wish these other politicians had the character and honesty Tracy King had. We will live to fight another day...There are already plans in the works from a different angle. We'll just have to put our collective heads together to see if its the angle we wish to go. One thing I forgot to mention; with this new addendum, you cannot even drive around on an ATV on private property with a spot light. WALKING is the ONLY way so the physically disabled, old, very young are left out in the cold again.
BChambers

Post by BChambers »

infidel wrote: One thing I forgot to mention; with this new addendum, you cannot even drive around on an ATV on private property with a spot light. WALKING is the ONLY way so the physically disabled, old, very young are left out in the cold again.
I was under the impression that the language bans any spot light ATTACHED to the vehicle? Would not this allow a hand held light to be used from a vehicle?
infidel

Post by infidel »

BChambers wrote:
infidel wrote: One thing I forgot to mention; with this new addendum, you cannot even drive around on an ATV on private property with a spot light. WALKING is the ONLY way so the physically disabled, old, very young are left out in the cold again.
I was under the impression that the language bans any spot light ATTACHED to the vehicle? Would not this allow a hand held light to be used from a vehicle?
You're right but if you plug it into a cig lighter, you get a ticket.
BChambers

Post by BChambers »

Well, I'm sure you can suggest a model or two that will last a few hours on a charge, no? :beer:
RAK

Post by RAK »

I have actually been using a hand held light a lot the last few years. However I think this will open up a larger problem. It is already technically illegal to drive on the shoulder or unapproved shoulder, and I would guess tickets for that would be handed out for skirting the regulation with a handheld light.