First King... with a twist!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ElliotH

First King... with a twist!

Post by ElliotH »

Let me say that I have seen kingsnakes in the wild before, but only on the NE chapter trip and they weren't my find. This however was all mine and complete dumb luck. Not the species I expected to be my first king!

For some reason my computer isn't letting my upload more than this, but it's enough to show why I'm excited. My apologies if this is a boring species for anyone.

:D
cayrip

Re: First King... with a twist!

Post by cayrip »

Great first king and one that a lot of seasoned herpers have not seen in the wild alive. Definitely a memory.
monklet

Post by monklet »

He scores! :shock: :!: :!: :!: :thumb: :beer:
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

That is very cool. Like Cameron said, I still have yet to see a live one in the wild....
cayrip

Post by cayrip »

Berkeley Boone wrote:That is very cool. Like Cameron said, I still have yet to see a live one in the wild....
I definitely need a trip back east to remedy your illness. :( I'll PM you a road to drive in May!
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Berkeley Boone wrote:That is very cool. Like Cameron said, I still have yet to see a live one in the wild....

Kings and Hog trip in October? ? ?
Mitch Mimier

Post by Mitch Mimier »

Nice find, Elliot! Was he under cover or on the move?
Berkeley Boone

Post by Berkeley Boone »

Josh Holbrook wrote:

Kings and Hog trip in October? ? ?
cayrip wrote:
I definitely need a trip back east to remedy your illness. :( I'll PM you a road to drive in May!
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks fellas!
--Berkeley
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

Thanks everyone! It definitely was one of the most exciting finds I've ever had. It's been fairly dead around here and I almost lost faith in this spot, but now it will probably turn into an obsession checking it. I couldn't be happier for it being my first king. Now I just need to find my first hog there and I will consider it a gold mine.

Mitch Mimier wrote:Nice find, Elliot! Was he under cover or on the move?
It was actually out on the move. In all honesty I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if (out of desperation) I hadn't checked a spot I saw a fence lizard at haha. Let's get out sometime soon man!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I've never seen a king that looked like that... very very cool-looking. what exactly would you call it? :shock: jim
M.J.FRANETOVICH

Post by M.J.FRANETOVICH »

Sweet :thumb:
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

I'd call that one a mole. ;) :thumb:

Seriously though I did not think I'd be seeing one of these in my time down here. Least of all in my county.
Gyri

Post by Gyri »

Congrats man! It's about time you scored a live king of some sort. Way better than that dead one on the river bank, lol
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

Haha, thanks. Much better than the dead Eastern, but you and I both know I had to kill it to protect everyone there. Words can not express how happy I was when I found the source of that good ol slithering sound. Now to go back and check that old sofa that was laying close to where I found this one. Hopefully what you've heard proves true.
xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

Mole Kings are a very cool snake to see! Thanks for posting! What was the habitat this one was found?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ElliotH wrote:I'd call that one a mole. ;) :thumb:
Thx... heard of them of course, and seen a FEW pics of them... but those colors/pattern are astounding... :thumb: thx for posting it... :beer: jim
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

Couldn't tell if you were bein sarcastic at first or not haha. They are very beautiful snakes and this one seemed fairly docile, I posed it and held it without it trying to strike even once. Hopefully this spot will produce some more for me, but I'm not counting on it. ;)

xxxHERPERxxx wrote:Mole Kings are a very cool snake to see! Thanks for posting! What was the habitat this one was found?
Hard to explain without completely giving the spot away. Very fractured habitat thought. Like I said I was pretty surprised to see it there, well I'm always surprised when anything pops up there honestly. PM me if you wanna talk location... maybe I can make a trip out your way eventually?

Thanks again everyone. I will try to get some more pics up in a day or two.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

ElliotH wrote:Couldn't tell if you were bein sarcastic at first or not haha.
I have never EVER been sarcastic, in my WHOLE LIFE... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: Truth is... I generally use plenty of icons to convey emotional content... but couldn't find one to convey 'clueless'... :roll:
I miss the 'DOH!" icon, A LOT... :roll: :lol: :lol:
Any other pics? cyaaaaaa... :D jim
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Sweet find Elliot, what a cool snake. How big would you guess it was? It looks pretty stout
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Gorgeous. I'm jealous, but here's to many more! :beer:
Tim
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Got one up on my too Elliot... still on my most wanted list of critters to see.
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

fox cove 4 wrote:Sweet find Elliot, what a cool snake. How big would you guess it was? It looks pretty stout
I'd say around 2.5 feet. I'm horrible at eye balling lengths though haha. This one was incredibly stout and seemed to have a stubby tail. Definitely very different than most snakes I've seen.

Tim Borski wrote:Gorgeous. I'm jealous, but here's to many more! :beer:
Tim
Thanks! Means a lot to me for someone who has found so many amazing snakes to be jealous of one of my finds. I gotta make it down to FL sometime. :D :thumb: It really was gorgeous and as I said very surprising. I'm hoping to see more, but from the stories I've heard it looks like this may be one of very few.
kyle loucks wrote:Got one up on my too Elliot... still on my most wanted list of critters to see.
Dumb luck wins once again! I suppose in my defense I have been hitting this spot multiple times a week. I'll call this one dumb luck and dumb determination! :D
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

As promised more pics! I took quite a few more, but these are the only ones that turned out to be ok. Truly was a beautiful snake.

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Nice looking king. Congrats. :thumb: