Icy & windy March herping 50 miles north of Cold Bay, Alaska

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

krismunk

Icy & windy March herping 50 miles north of Cold Bay, Alaska

Post by krismunk »

... & some 6,700 miles east (or west, doesn't make much difference ;) )

Anyway...

unfortunately so far this year I haven't been able to find the time to get out when the weather has been nice and I don't see myself finding any time the next couple of weeks either :(

So, instead I had to try my luck yesterday, despite a weather forecast of partly cloudy, daytime high of 5 C and winds around 11 m/s. When I left home in the morning to drop off the kids the ground was frozen, ice everywhere, wind through my bones. It didn't get all that much better later :?

Problem?

No problem :D

The nearby weather station recorded conditions ½ hour later and warmer as 2.9 degrees celsius with average winds of 9 m/s and gusts up to 15 m/s.

Oh and btw, I found a couple of smooth newts beneath the ice as well... :)

However, when this guy and his lady friend took flight across the ice I decided this particular pond wasn't really worth checking ;)

Bladeblaster

Re: Icy & windy March herping 50 miles north of Cold Bay, Al

Post by Bladeblaster »

nice finds, hardy little critters :thumb:
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Awesome, Alaska doesn't have any herps half as cool as adders so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out the area in question was also 6700 miles to the west.
Thor Hakonsen

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

Great find - I was even farther north today and found 5 female adders :)
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Thanks to all of you for the replies :)

Bladeblaster wrote:nice finds, hardy little critters :thumb:
Hardy they are - which is a huge part of what makes them so cool ;)

Also, the first finds of the season are always really nice :)

Antonsrkn wrote:Awesome, Alaska doesn't have any herps half as cool as adders so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out the area in question was also 6700 miles to the west.
Glad to hear that. I was afraid I might have disappointed or offended people with a title that could be construed as somewhat misleading :lol:

Thor Hakonsen wrote:Great find - I was even farther north today and found 5 female adders :)
Sweet :thumb:

You must have had better weather than us today then, 'cause I would have been shocked to find them out around here where it's been about as cold and nearly as windy as yesterday while the sun hasn't been out at all but rather been replaced by clouds, rain, hail and sleet :(

Anyway, as you know, with the warming effects of the Gulf Stream our climate isn't really all that "northerly", it just gives a whole different range of associations when you compare the latitude to Alaska ;)