Some more finds of 2011.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ElliotH

Some more finds of 2011.

Post by ElliotH »

Figured it was about time to actually put a story with this. Over spring break I made a visit to Gyri down in GA. Of course if you know Gyri you know what he works with and what our focus would be. I had made it down there in the past (about 6 hours) and got almost completely skunked. This time I was more optimistic as it had just rained and temps were pretty good. As you will be able to tell I didn't get skunked at all this time. :beer:

First six shots were from the local movement around me. Not all that exciting, but Spring never brought lizards around my house in NY.

This fence was the first herp found during my first actual day there. I decided by the end of the day we needed 15 species including the 3 from the previous night.

While looking for mud turtles/spotteds I came across this guy just hanging above the water. When I first approached it he dove right in and hid in some loves under water. About 15 minutes later I came back to the spot and we found him still hanging out under the surface in those same leaves. We both thought that was some odd behavior.

A common sight down there, but still a lifer for me and it added to the species count of the day. A nice adult Ocmulgee Slimy Salamander. At least that's what it should be.

A marbled was found that day as well. I know they're one of the common ones down here, but I still get excited every time I see one.

Another common find and another addition to the species goal for the day. Ground skink.

While looking for a spot to find some softshells we cruised this little one. Not sure how I made it out from the car with all the other debris in the road. I think it's a yellow belly slider. If anyone thinks I'm wrong feel free to chime in.

Just another bullfrog to add to the species count for the day.

We decided to move to some different habitat after getting skunked looking for softshells. It was pretty windy that day and we didn't have high hopes of finding any snakes. While flipping and trying to find some of Georgia's banded snakes I heard a call from Gyri. Cupping his hands he told me he had what he was pretty sure would be a lifer for me. I didn't have any clue it would turn out to be a Crowned snake. Lifer and +1 to the count. Pretty cool little snake that would not hold still.

The sun started going down and we had a walk back to the car. On the way I demanded a dwarf salamander. After being told it wouldn't be hard and then having Gyri almost immediately flip one I decided it was my turn. A few minutes later I turned up my own. Woo hoo another lifer!

I demanded to get some shots of peepers just to add to the count. They were the easiest to find obviously.

I flipped an anole after photographing the peepers. I'm not used to flipping reptiles at night.

Went back to get another frog shot to add to the count. Just a leopard.

The next day we had plans on looking for some spotteds and muds again. Gyri turned this guy up. Pretty sure it was a lifer for me. I forget what species it was, but I think it was an eastern.

It was another day with sub par conditions, but Gyri ended up flipping this racer. It was actually the most cooperative racer I've ever worked with.

Flipped a southern toad that night. I counted it as a lifer just because it was the first I ever got a picture of.

My last full day there proved to be the best. Needed a voucher of this southern cricket to add to my lifers.

I think Gyri said this one was a bronze frog. I counted it.

These were a pretty exciting find for me even if they weren't adults. While looking for various other salamanders we turned up these to Mud salamander larvae. More lifers! This trip was full of em.

We decided to look for some more spotteds again and figured we'd try for a spot with cotton mouths. Unfortunately we didn't turn up any hots, but after I found our first spotted I walked up on this guy. This is the first time I've seen a snake actually climbing and I believe this is a gray rat, both being new and awesome for me!

The spotted I found and was super excited to. Gyri said something about it being one of the ugliest he's ever seen, but I thought it was beautiful. I guess I could have seen one of the before, but one the NE chapter trip I got a bit lazy and missed out. They are a very endearing turtle. Yet another lifer. This one was the second most exciting for me!

These next two we actually found he first night, but held on to for photographs. I was hoping to find a green ornata, but even this one was pretty awesome for me. Apparently I'm not all that bad luck as Gyri said this was the easiest one he ever located just by its call.

The star of the amphibians from that trip had to be this guy though. I had never seen one before and they are some of the cutest toads. Yes that's right I said they're cute... because they are. Look at it and tell me differently.

The main purpose and my absolute favorite find of the trip... an Indigo!!!! I finally proved that I am not bad luck to Gyri and found what I had made two trips down there for. WOOOOOOO!!!!

This trip was the last one to visit Gyri down in GA. He has since moved back up to the NE. We ended up with 26 species I think it was and some incredibly interesting stories. Hopefully once I get more established here I can return the favor at least to some degree. :beer:
Gyri

Re: Some more finds of 2011.

Post by Gyri »

Nice finds. That blue-tailed scorpion up on the cypress knee is pretty sweet. The blue pilot snake is an absolute stunner too! No wampums?
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

Nah, there wasn't a whole lot of wampum. Thanks for the kind comments though!
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

Cool finds. What an odd place to find a skink.
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

It really was. When I came up even closer it ended up diving under water and stayed there for quite a while.
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

I should note that most of these finds were from GA and from a professional. It was an awesome trip and wouldn't have been possible without some help! My recent trip to GA ended with 26 species seen and none of these would have been possible without the help of a good friend. Will miss ya and the good times we had down here!
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

ElliotH wrote:It really was. When I came up even closer it ended up diving under water and stayed there for quite a while.
That's funny, last summer my son and I had a six lined racerunner cornered next to a pond in SC and it dove right in and swam away underwater like a watersnake. The lizard swam very well, like it had been swimming laps it's entire life. I was totally surprised, I wished I had been shooting video.
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

We had tried to get a picture of it under water, but failed. It acted like it was perfectly comfortable there.