Herp field guides, Costa rica

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

robbielab

Herp field guides, Costa rica

Post by robbielab »

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has used or read the book "Field Guide to the Wildlife of Costa Rica" by Carrol L. Henderson? It isn't primarily a herping guide (I've been looking at those and they all seem way too expensive!), so I was thinking of getting this general wildlife guide, but would like to know how extensive the reptiles & amphibians section is from someone who may already have read it!

Any other suggestions for herping guides to Costa Rica/Nicaragua would also be great!

Thanks!

Robbie
Lizardman1988

Re: Herp field guides, Costa rica

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Savage's book is the authorative work on Costa Rica herpetofauna. It is a must have, although it is something best left in the hotel room/car due to its size. It is $34 at amazon right now: http://www.amazon.com/Amphibians-Reptil ... 595&sr=8-1.
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

I will second the Savage book. I don't know what I would have done in Costa Rica without it. There have been some taxanomic changes since the printing but it is still well worth it and the price is a steal. It has pretty good color plates, keys to every species, and dot range maps.
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

Robbie

I have the Henderson book and it's an OK read but does not have much on herps. There is a LOT missing from the book. It's OK on the common birds and mammals, but you will find it overall pretty lacking substance. Savage is the best and a steal at that price. There are some other guides that are also very good as well depending on where you are going down there.

Snakes of Costa Rica by Alejandro Solorzano is also very good, but $60.

Amphibians and Reptiles of La Selva, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean Slope by Guyer/Donnelly is a nice book if you are going to be on the Caribbean side, and for only $13.

A Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of Costa Rica by T. Leenders is also a nice guide, though it's tough to find now, and Savage's book is now cheaper and more comprehensive.

There are plenty of other guides to CR out there!

Have fun!
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

Leenders' book in Costa Rica was actually easier to find in Costa Rica itself; I think I got it for around $20.

I will second the suggestion of Savage's book. I took it everywhere with me, even on longer hikes.

Later, Matt
robbielab

Post by robbielab »

Cheers guys, thanks a lot for your replies and suggestions.

Any tips on finding snakes in Costa Rica/Central America from any of you who have had the pleasure of herping there would also be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Robbie
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

pm sent
Brian Folt

Post by Brian Folt »

Hey Robbie,

I'm down here in CR right now (La Selva Biological Station - Heredia Province). It's amazing. You're going to have a great time. Where, when, and how long are you going to be here?

My advice for snakes: hike as much at night as possible. I've been here two weeks almost and have been averaging a little over a snake a day (the count is at 15 in 12 days). I've only seen 4 during the day. Also, I've done a lot less hiking at night...

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions.

And, yeah, the Savage book is the real deal. Quite a bit of the frog taxonomy is outdated but it contains a goldmine of information.

Cheers,

Brian