Front Range Smooth Greens?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Lizardman1988

Front Range Smooth Greens?

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Well, I don't think roadcruising will pan out this weekend (not much money, plus not really anywhere to go), so I think I'll shift my focus to a species that has long eluded me: the smooth green snake. I assume it is still flipping season in the foothills... does anyone know if a certain time of day is better for this species, or what the altitudinal range is? I've got a good idea where to go, but any pointers are welcome.
Joe Farah

Re: Front Range Smooth Greens?

Post by Joe Farah »

Hey Ryan,

I went up and got one last week... Here's how it went down...

My girlfriend decided to go see sex and the city with her friends last thursday evening, so after work I raced up into the mountains a little ways... I got to the spot at 7pm. It was pouring rain and in the low 60's when i arrived. I sat in my car until about 7:15 when the rain finally let up an bit and then got out to go flip. The very first rock i turned over had a vernalis under it, so I posed it for some pics, did a bit more flipping (with no luck) and got out of there as quick as i came...

jdustin

Post by jdustin »

Here in the Wasatch range I've flipped (rock lifted) them at pretty much all times of day to be honest. I've seen them just as the sun was coming up, afternoon, and evening.

Here's a habitat shot of where I've seen them. A meadow in the middle of aspen groves and pines... ~6500 feet.

Good luck!
Josh
RobK

Post by RobK »

Joe, Tim, and Matt are the greensnake experts 'round here. I think you go down I-25 and take a right instead of a left.

Only place I know some dude in a robe will come out and chase you off.
t3ch

Post by t3ch »

Still need to find myself one of those.
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

Rob

I think that guy REALLY liked you. It was funny when he said "You can stay, but you have to walk in the creek".

Good times!
SoutheastColorado

Post by SoutheastColorado »

I flipped some a few days ago. They actually like AC, so check any boards or tin you see! Check around foothill meadows, also check dry ridges, I find mine far from water.
William

Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Well, I went out saturday to look for them, but struck out. Wound up seeing 2 Thamnophis elegans. At least I didn't get skunked completely...