Herper Bios

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mike Pingleton

Herper Bios

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Howdy folks, I remade this post for FHF 2.0 :mrgreen: This thread is actually more valuable than you might think!

Please introduce yourself and give us a short biography.
Curtis Hart

Re: Herper Bios

Post by Curtis Hart »

My name is Curtis Hart, same as my user name, and I was born in '78. I used to post here under CMH. I grew up on a dirt road in southern Michigan, where I first became interested in herps. I'm more of a turtle person than anything, but I enjoy seeing them all. I left MI at 18 and headed down to FL to go to UF. After graduating, I returned to MI and spent 10 years working catering for NASCAR, which paid for a lot of travel and gave me a ton of time off. I now work as an environmental consultant, mainly doing summer presence/absence for endangered bats in the east. I also do the occasional post-construction monitoring (looking for dead birds/bats) in the shoulder seasons. Most years I only work three to five months, giving me plenty of time for travel. I have had much less of an interest in herping in the last few years, even though I have recently been to places like Bioko and Komodo. My focus is now mainly on mammals and birds, and you are much more likely to see me posting in one of those forums.

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Hey all! Here is a slightly updated bio for those that do not already know me.....

I am a graduate student at the University of Minnesota pursuing my M.S. in Conservation Biology. I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota in spring of 2009. I majored in Fisheries and Wildlife Management with a Minor in Biology.

Interests:

- Population dynamics
- Biogeography
- Habitat management/restoration

Current research:

- Impacts of woody biomass harvest on amphibian diversity and abundance in aspen dominated ecosystems.
- Geographical distribution and habitat selection of North Dakota's amphibian and reptile species.
- Micro-habitat selection of Western Hognose Snakes in Minnesota.

Hope to see you in the field!
Chris

In Costa Rica:

What I was after....

Happy Herpin'
Joe Blecha

Post by Joe Blecha »

I'm Joe Blecha. I moved to central Missouri in May of last year from southern California. I finally got residency and JUST started college pursuing a degree in Biology emphasizing herpetology and conservation. I have been herping my entire life and have bounced around the US quite a bit chasing lifers. I didn't start taking photographs until a couple years ago after stumbling upon the forum while trying to ID some snakes I found so I'm going to have to back track in order to get my voucher photos! I go through phases as far as my favorites but I'd say kingsnakes and milksnakes are my favorite group of herps for the most part, garter snakes are what started it all for me.

Cheers,
-Joe-

Johnny O Farnen

Post by Johnny O Farnen »

Hello!

I'm Johnny O . Farnen, you may or may not have seen me around the web as "SludgeMunkey". I am an ex weapons field engineer currently pretending I am an industrial maintenance mechanic on the graveyard shift. By day I spend time trucking around Nebraska by mountain bike photographing any and all reptiles and amphibians I can find.

Originally from Pennsylvania, I have been lucky enough to live all over the country and go out herping accordingly. From the Pacific to the Atlantic, and even a few spots in South America, I always make time to go out and hunt for "critters".

My primary area of interest is amphibians, especially caudates and true toads. When not outside with my cameras, I am actively working with various species of caudates and various true toads (formerly Bufo and now a long list of unpronounceable names with lots of Xs in strange places...). I prefer to keep species not commonly kept in the US. I will note I do not take from the field, preferring captive bred animals, or in some cases "rescues" I accepted from other people.

As I currently reside in Nebraska, I tend to see mostly snakes and turtles, with the occasional frog thrown in. I am also actively searching for the rare (in Nebraska) Ambystoma texanum, the Small Mouthed Salamander. In the last three years I have managed to find two confirmed specimens, neither when I had a camera. This season I am focusing on them and the various spadefoot toads as "targets".

Here is a few photos from last season: (From time to time I use a small portable enclosure to temporarily hold specimens for photographing, hence the white backgrounds. this is due to the limitations of my cheap camera!)
Bufo woodhousii, juvenile
Pseudacris triseriata, juvenile
Hyla chrysocelis
Thamnophis radix
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Hi, I'm Marc - formerly Pinhead22. My uncle (Andrew Dimedio) got me into herping when I was little mostly with turtles and some snakes. I don't think we labeled it as 'herping' back then. Growing up, I always had baby turtles and pet garter snakes and stuff like that and would drag my friends out with me to look for stuff. Now, I still like to herp and take photos of everything. I'm not really into the science of it all, or the latin names, I just like to find stuff and photo then pat myself on the back. I have been a Northeast Chapter member for awhile now but I am moving to Chicago at the end of Summer '10 so I am excited to have new species to seek out.... :beer:
John Kilner III

Post by John Kilner III »

John Kilner III from MN, formerly johnnygk3 on FHF. Been pickin stuff out of the dirt since I can remember. I'm into snakes mostly and enjoy herpin as much as I can get out. I also do some captive breeding, with a focus on North and South American hognose snakes. I am always reading something herp related and enjoy learning as I go. I have enjoyed a quieter approach to herpin over the years but really enjoy the networking and camaraderie this site provides.
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

These bios are kind a pain to write, but I think they serve a useful purpose, so...

Hi, Carl Brune here. I came into this world during the Lyndon Baines Johnson administration. I've been fascinated by reptiles and amphibians my entire life. I was born and raised in a small town, Ridgecrest, in the Mojave Desert of California. Lizards were particularly plentiful and in easy walking distance from our house. I learned about them from other kids and by reading books. I received Stebbins's field guide (1st edition) for Christmas when I was 7, which helped set me on this course. After leaving Ridgecrest, I've lived in Santa Barbara (CA), Pasadena (CA), Hillsborough (NC) , and since 2001 in Athens, Ohio. I'm a professor in the Physics and Astronomy department at Ohio University.

Here is a longer and perhaps somewhat amusing bio I recently put together for my department.

Jake Seals

Post by Jake Seals »

My name is Jake Seals and I was born and raised in southern Indiana. I have been interested in wildlife ever since I can remember. I am not sure whether it was reading about herps in the school library, seeing herps in the wild while morel hunting with my dad, or watching Steve Irwin wrangle herps that sparked my interest for herpetology specifically. I'm sure all those things played a part in making me who I am today. Herping is now a way of life. I am currently 17 years old and plan to pursue a carreer in herpetology.

Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

Greetings! I’m Carl Koch. I’ve been a public school band director since 1987, am married and have 2 grown daughters, and I live in West Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I was into herps as a kid, got preoccupied with other things for awhile, and got back into herps in the mid-nineties. I love herping with other people who love herping.

I’m the 2nd from left.

Near home, I spend a lot of time observing one of my favorite herps, the eastern hog-nosed snake.

Carl
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Hi guys! I'm Marisa. I'm a Northern California native who has found myself at Oberlin College in Oberlin, OH for my undergraduate degree. I'm majoring in Biology, and through the Experimental College program at Oberlin, I designed and now teach the hepetology class with my friend Alex Krohn. At Oberlin I'm conducting a private research project studying the prevalence of Chytridiomycosis in both plethodontid and ambystomid salamanders of the Vermillion and Black River Watersheds. I love field herping and I have put 30,000 miles on my car going to Florida (three times), Michigan, and MIssouri as well as all over Ohio looking for creepy crawlies. I love my camera.

(Florida Pine Snake on my Camera)

jaygib9

Post by jaygib9 »

Hello everyone,
My name's Justin Gibson, I'm a Hoosier (I blame my parents) living in Clarksville, IN, and I've been fascinated with snakes since childhood. I love animals of all kinds and nature in general and would greatly love to become a DNR Officer. I'm a herp enthusiast and a member of the Kentucky Herp Society:http://www.kyherpsoc.org/

Here's a couple pics of me:
and
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/me2.jpg

Here's a few critters I used to own:
a Boa Constrictor Imperator
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/nugent.jpg
an Anerythristic Type B Corn Snake
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/scream.jpg
a Leucistic Texas Ratsnake
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/powder.jpg
and a Red Bull Snake
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/bull.jpg

And the critters I currently own:
my Leopard Gecko Datu
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/datu1.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/datu2.jpg
my Okeetee Corn Snake Vesuvius
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius1.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius2.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius3.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius4.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius5.jpg
http://www.jaygib9.com/herps/vesuvius6.jpg
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Hey guys my name is Stuart Willicombe and I am currently on the east side of Milwaukee. I have been facinated with snakes since I was 3 and these past couple of years I have really gotten back into the swing of things with herping, thanks in a large part to Carl Koch. Carl has showed me that there are plenty of cool snakes here in WI to find. I am always up to herp this summer and I really want to add a fox and a bullsnake to my life list...So if anyone is up to herp just PM me!

These are some of my Favorite times herping

Me (on the right) and Trey (T2K)

Trey and I again with the Country Record Burmese
Ryan Thies

Post by Ryan Thies »

My name is Ryan Thies, formerly known as serpentryan. I am 24 years old and I am from St. Louis, Missouri. I am currently finishing up my BA in biology with an emphasis in conservation. I will then hopefully be accepted into graduate school where I will continue my studies in wildlife conservation and hopefully herpetology. My main interest in life is herping and I try to spend several hours a week out in the field. I thoroughly enjoy being outdoors whether I am herping or not. I have herped with many different people over the years and have shared some great moments with them. I have learned more about field herping ethics and practices from the various people I have herped with than anywhere else. In fact, I have made many a friend through this hobby. In addition to herping, I enjoy birding, playing hockey, playing baseball, playing soccer, playing wiffleball, and I enjoy storm chasing, including tornadoes. Between all these activities and school, I have little time for a real life. I don't mind though. I love field herping!

Ryan
narumk07

Post by narumk07 »

Hey Mike and everyone else

I am Kevin Narum. I have been living and working in Reynolds and Shannon Co. MO for the last year and a half, working on a project that deals with herp populations and whether or not they are effected by forestry. I have enjoyed my time here because just about every herp I find or catch has been a lifer especially in 2009. I love the amount of herps and biodiversity here compared to where I grew up (southeastern WA). I will only be here for till November though, most likely.

Thanks, and enjoy your time in the field,

Kevin
Blaze19d

Post by Blaze19d »

I'm David from Texas. i have loved snakes since i was very young. i began catching them when i was 6 and around 13 gained an interest in the actual science. i am currently enlisted in the Army as a Cavalry Scout, but i am also going to enroll in college to obtain a degree in Herpetology. i will be deploying to Iraq in August which will give me the opportunity to experience the snake population that inhabits the middle east. i'll work on posting pictures, i have to get some first. i look forward to talking with you all. feel free to message me if you like.
KevColubrid

Post by KevColubrid »

Hi everyone! My name is Kevin Scott, and I'm originally from Missouri, living in Kansas for the moment with my wife, who is active duty military. I love snakes, and have for as long as I can remember. When I was about four, my dad pulled a five foot black ratsnake out of a tree and handed it to me, and from then on, I was obsessed. I love all snakes, but the sight hunters are my favorites, racers, whipsnakes, coachwhips, indigos, cribos, I love them all. I work full time as a grocery department manager, and am persuing a degree in education. I think that's it right now, hope to meet more of you in the future.

Kevin
Evan Speshock

Post by Evan Speshock »

My name is Evan Speshock, im 13 and i love herping very much. i live in southeast michigan ( Oakland ) and doesnt have very good luck in finding snakes, although i find an abundant amount of salamanders, turtles, and frogs. :D
kcaquatech

Post by kcaquatech »

Hi all, just found the site. I am a firefighter in Kansas City, Kansas and love reptiles (especially snakes). My wife and I have an extensive personal collection at this point and we love to get out and field herp as often as we can. Would love to meet some people to get out in the field with and share information and stories! Drop me a note I would love to hear from you!
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

hi all, my name is ben scott. due to my screen name, if you believe i catch lots of muskies, keep believing that. :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm thirty-five years old, and i grew up in kaukauna, wisconsin, and finally came home after a bunch of years in the twin cities of minnesota. i lost myself in life for a while, and herps got put on the back burner. i'm back however, and meeting people on this forum has been a great thing. i've always herped alone. it's more fun with more people.

i used to keep my catches as a kid, but now, i just take pictures. i'm more into the game of finding rather that all the science that goes along with it. i like to learn about herps, but my focus is more on observing ecological interactions.

i am currently going to school for machining, and i look forward to getting completely settled in this area. i will never leave. i love it here. i'm pretty familiar with northeast wisconsin, so if anyone wants to add to the very vacant county records in the database, pm me. i'd love to show you around my neck of the woods.

this is me

-ben
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Mike Pingleton here. I live in Champaign, Illinois, and I work at the University of Illinois. My field is computer operations, and I do project management type stuff for the National Center for Supercomputing Applications. Boring stuff but it has paid the bills and fed the kids for the past 19 years.

I was born during the Eisenhower administration, and began herping in the dark days of the Nixon Administration. This is my fortieth year as a field herper, and I've been lucky to herp in many cool places around the United States. I'm planning to visit the Peruvian Amazon early next year and further expand my herp horizons.

The past ten years have been incredibly productive, now that my daughters have either fled the nest or nearly so. I've been getting out in the field with a lot of young biologist types, which has challenged me physically and mentally, and has led to new opportunities and experiences. The advent of FHF and the formation of NAFHA have made a huge impact on my field herping experiences. After herping solo or with just a few people for quite a few years, meeting up with field herpers from across the country has been a blast and I've made many new friends. I've also served as president of the NAFHA midwest chapter for the past couple of years and plan to remain involved as we go forward.

I enjoy writing about my field experiences, and I've kept online field journals since 1996 (blogging before the term was invented). I also have a few book and magazine projects in the works.

-Mike
madkins007

Post by madkins007 »

Hmmm, no photos to post at this time. My name is Mark Adkins, I am mostly interested in tortoises (if it ain't got a shell, it can go to he**), but enjoy all herps. Done a lot of field work mostly in Eastern Nebraska with several members of the Nebraska Herpetological Association over the years. My health and weight issues limit my field work lately, but I enjoy keeping in touch with it.

My main day job is a wheelchair/adaptive tech, but I also teach part time for the Red Cross and do gadget reviews.
MarriedHerper

Post by MarriedHerper »

My name is Loren Johnson, and I go to school in the Chicagoland area. I am 21, and I am married to the woman of my dreams. As a kid and teenager, I was extremely interested in the field of herpetology, but mostly went out on my own to herp. In recent years, my interest in the field has once again reared its scaly head, and I found myself reading every book I could find on the subject, and watching every YouTube video or documentary I could find. My wife has caught the addiction, and we are looking forward to going out as soon as we can, which unfortunately, will be spring 2011.

This is a picture of an Italian species of gecko that I caught while I was in Florence
herpmajor

Post by herpmajor »

My name is James Mick, I am a zoology student at SIU Carbondale. I live about 15min away from Snake Road, and have for most of my life. I am 29, married and have three kids.
Dusty Jordan

Post by Dusty Jordan »

Hey everyone.
I'm Dusty, 21 years old and I'm a Senior Undergrad student at Central Michigan University. I'm an avid field herper and an aspiring wildlife biologist and herpetologist. I'm also a general all around outdoorsman, including hunting, fishing and backpacking. I just stumbled across this site and I figured it might turn out to be a valuable community to become a part of. I've herped quite a bit in my home state of Michigan, but have really only had one opportunity for out of state herping in Ohio's Shawnee State Forest. However, in a few weeks I'll be making a much anticipated road trip down to "Snake Road" Illinois. Can't wait to add to my life list!
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

Glad to see a familiar face Dusty!
DanW

Post by DanW »

Howdy,

Dan here, have met many of ya'll in the field down south. Catch snakes, keep snakes, like snakes. Married (proposed to wife while herping), like other herps as well, reside in Illinois. Particularly interested in conservation issues in the midwest.
Best midwest herping moments was finding a copperhead basking on top of a cottonmouth.
One of my dogs can find box turtles on command.

Dan Wylie
pretty good at drinkin' beer
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome Dan. I want a dog like that!! LOL.

-Chris
Grimleo

Post by Grimleo »

Hi all. My names Corey Spain. I'm 18, fresh out of high school and into college. Currently working on general edu. in a small community college until I'm sure what uni. I want to join. Growing up my family moved quite a bit but ever since I was walking I was outside looking for snakes and lizards. I've lived in various cities and towns in AZ and CA but as for now I live in Northern California. :thumb:

I've been into herps since I was a kid but I only just started realizing there are other people that love doing the same thing I do. So I'm pretty new to this site and other reptile sites but I have my own share of experience in the field and with critters. One day I hope I can find someone that would go out and chase snakes with me. :D
seanchilders

Post by seanchilders »

Hey everyone, my name is sean, IM from the chicago area. I am 23 years old and married to my wife toni. As long as i can remember I have loved reptiles, and ever since i could walk i would look for frogs and snakes in the yard, As I grew up i got into keeping and breeding reptiles in captivity, and have a small collection of reptiles at home now. this past year since spring 2010 i have gotten pretty serious about field herping, and i quickly replaced fishing as my favorite hobby. I work at the chicago reptile house, If you go there please introduce yourself..... I look foreword to learning alot on this forum, and possibly meeting other area herpers.......thanks for the time
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hi, Folks, Terry Cox here, aka TC, and other expletives. I won't admit how ancient I am, but remember Eisenhower taking office and Elvis. I started in MI and put in a few years in OH and a year in IL. I was a Midwest Chapter member first, before retiring to AZ, and know a few of you from the old days. My home is the AZ Chapter now, where I was president from 2009-10. I've been Education Specialist and forum moderator for a year and will continue that next year. I'm very interested in NAFHA business and in herping all over the U. S. I usually spend two weeks in mid-summer visiting MI, relatives, and old haunts. I still have a lot of MI herp records I have to post to the database and hope to get some of those done this winter. Hope you all don't mind an old guy reminiscing from time to time.

Here's a blast from the past...LOL.

A five-lined skink....
Pickerel frog...
Eastern box turtle....
...and an Eastern garter snake...
These were all found with Andrew Myers and a couple of other herpers in southwestern MI.

Take care and have a fun winter shoveling snow....heheh!

TC
matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo »

What an awesome box turtle, Terry. I really need to get to know SW Michigan some.
Brock Lowe

Post by Brock Lowe »

What up? I'm Brock, I'm a former wrestler at MU and am getting a degree in Sport Management with a double minor in Business and Portuguese. I enjoy reptiles quite a bit and think it's somewhat hysterical that "herping" shows up on spell check here.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

matt ignoffo wrote:What an awesome box turtle, Terry. I really need to get to know SW Michigan some.

Thanks, Matt. There's some really great spots in MI, but they're just hard to find... 8-)

Here's one of my favorite herps from MI, an Eastern massasauga...
This gal is from Bois Blanc Island in northwestern Lake Huron, a great habitat that deserves some protection.

Cheers, all....TC
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

ratsnakehaven wrote: Here's one of my favorite herps from MI, an Eastern massasauga...
This gal is from Bois Blanc Island in northwestern Lake Huron, a great habitat that deserves some protection.
Nice snake, Terry. I've always wanted to get up to Bois Blanc to check out that population, maybe one of these days. Rumor has it there's also Queen Snakes on the island.
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Brock Lowe wrote:What up? I'm Brock, I'm a former wrestler at MU and am getting a degree in Sport Management with a double minor in Business and Portuguese.
Interessante. Não se vê isso muito, de onde veio o interesse? Bem vindos.
Brock Lowe

Post by Brock Lowe »

haha, quero trabalhar/viajar ao brasil, mas meu gosto todas lenguas romanticas. por que vc pode falar portugues?
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Morei la, dois anos. Em varias areas de Amazonas.
Brock Lowe

Post by Brock Lowe »

Muito bom aonde? e vc mora em kc agora? eu sou do liberty
jrosen

Post by jrosen »

Hello everyone. I'm Justin Rosenquist and I live in Southern Illinois. Right now I'm attending my last semester at SUIC studying zoology. I really like to get out and find herps, especially snakes and salamanders, and I'm glad to have found a place online where I can relate with people who like the same thing. :D
mfb

Post by mfb »

Hi Folks,

My name is Mike and I live in Cleveland Ohio. I've been freestyle herping since I was a kid. Most of my herping now is in OH, MI, PA, NY, NM, and CA.

I think the NAHERP database is a great idea. I've entered a few old records where I have photos into the naherp database. This year, I look forward to taking more photos specifically for the database.

I administer two flickr groups focusing on herps. These are collections of photos and videos that people post on the web. The flickr groups are a fun way to share natural history observations, and don't have the same data focus as NAHERP. Frogs singing and mating in nature is focused on frog mating behavior, while snakes eating in nature is focused on snakes catching and consuming prey. Both are fun groups to browse, and it is always great to have more contributions.

In addition to herping for fun, I'm also a professor in the Department of Biology at Case Western Reserve University. Most of my research investigates questions in evolutionary ecology, population ecology, and conservation biology. More information can be found at the Benard Lab website.

My favorite herps include the wood frog and the pacific chorus frog.

Rjhjthomps

Post by Rjhjthomps »

My name is Joe Thompson, 21 years old. I've lived in IL for most of my life. My love to identify and take pictures of herps in the field has lead me to this forum. Throughout my life starting at childhood, I've herped on an off. My career is in culinary arts, I currently cook a country club in Geneva, IL. Furthermore, I hope to go herping in other countries such as Malaysia and Austrailia with a group of fellow herpers someday soon. Good to be here, cant wait to start meeting some of you, and I cant wait to start providing some photo's and data entries this year.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Welcome Justin, Mike and Joe!

-Mike
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Welcome to the forum!
I never actually noticed this thread before, its a good way to get to know new members and in turn let them know some about you as well, and even learn some additional info about folks whom I have known on these forums for a while. I'll take any excuse to procrastinate and put off school work for a while longer and put up a mini bio for myself.

I guess this isn't so much of an introduction as I have been posting for a while now but I think it would be cool if we could get as many midwest folks as possible posting some sort of bio on here for new members to look at when they join the community. As many of you know or can figure out by looking at my screen name my name is Anton. I am a 21 year old majoring in biology but I'm not sure what direction I really want to take that in yet as its such a broad field. I have enjoyed herping casually since an early age and kept all kinds of critters at home. My 3 biggest interests are herping, nature photography, and of course traveling which I'm lucky to be able to do more than my fair share of due to the generosity of my parents. I have herped in about 15 different countries and hope to expand that list as much as possible. Photography has always interested me and ever since I can remember I was trying to take some sort of photos of wildlife, my favorite subjects are herps (obviously) but I really enjoy photographing any sort of wildlife. I started out with a cheap point & shoot film camera and more often than not it was challenging to make any sense of the resulting photos and in addition to that it cost money to develop so it was a real blessing once I got my hands on a digital camera. I now primarily use Nikon DSLRS for my photography and hope to learn more and improve my photo skills as time goes on. I used to keep herps at home but my interest in that faded around the same time that my interest in field herpetology blossomed, I still have a small collection left over that resides at my parents house but it is slowly dwindling over time. I didn't really start herping seriously until I came across FHF and thats when I really started making progress as far as herping goes and while I'm not able to herp as often as I would like, I foresee it being a lifelong hobby for me. I have been fortunate enough to meet many of you in the field and I hope to meet many more of you in the future. Good luck out there.

Salzy

Post by Salzy »

I'm just getting back into the forums here after a really long hiatus. I haven't posted here much in the past couple of years. I'm looking to get out as much as possible this season, and hope to bump into some of you guys.

I'm a UW-Stevens Point '06 graduate that still lives in Stevens Point, WI. I graduated with double majors in Wildlife Management and Biology. I've had the opportunity to do research in Peru, work with the endangered Brazos water snake in Texas, as well as do a lot of amphibian monitoring during a seasonal position out in West Yellowstone, Montana. I've been interested in herps my entire life, and I don't see that fading. ;) I keep a captive collection of geckos (mostly Rhacodactylus and Uroplatus, but some others also) and love to find geckos in the field....it only happens on rare occasions when I have the opportunity to travel out of the midwest. Salamanders and Hots are my favorite targets, but anything that gives me the chance to photograph is well-liked also. :)

I do a lot of herping here in Central WI as well as southwestern WI. A couple of different trips to South Carolina and Arizona/southern CA have been excellent. I'm still uploading photos to the database though :?

I hope to see some of you around and get the chance to field herp in your company.

hmm....I realize I don't have any recent herping shots with me in them, so a fishing photo will have to do....
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

Nice crappies, man!
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

Howdy Folks. Been lurking for a while, decided to join. I grew up watching the "old school" Wild Kingdom with my dad and started bringing home Box Turtles(which we can't do now) and Leopard Frogs. I favor crocs and snakes. Because of my location, I often hit the field with the Kentucky herpers.
Looking forward to seeing fellow herpers on the road.
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Hey, Anton. Welcome back, Kyle! Welcome, Barry!

-Mike
KingCam

Post by KingCam »

Hey all!! My name is Cameron and I currently live in Blue Springs, MO (suburb of Kansas City). I was born in Springfield and lived the early years of my childhood playing in the beautiful Ozark landscape. I love to fish, hike, camp, float, hunt, etc, etc. My little brother, Brennan, is my outdoor companion. We don't do anything too professional, but we sure love to get out in the field and play with the local wildlife :P

My better half and I

Gotta love those private farm ponds!

Southern Central MO

Those water snakes will not hesitate to latch onto an appendage if you upset them!

My little brother doing a bit of "sucker grabbin"

He's a turtle guy, can't get enough!!

This is my old man. He sure loves to fish
Floridaherper

Post by Floridaherper »

Hello my name is Colin im 26 and i herp . I was born on october 29th . I have herped ever since i was 5 . My dad was herper as well and we always had snakes or lizards in our house . I also professinally play baseball for a Minor league team . I live in Miami . My girlfriend took these pics .ImageImage