June 14 and 16th

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Paul White

June 14 and 16th

Post by Paul White »

I haven't done much actual *herping* per se, but I've kept walking around parks and I've seen some stuff. Taking some PTO next week to get out in the early AM but for now...
from June 14th

Right after the parking lot:

I like these guys, even if I see dozens of them

This guy

Was pretty close to these:

HUGE grasshopper

another horned lizard

is that a liz--HOLY CRAP IT'S HUGE! This thing was bigger around than a silver dollar

Another horned lizard on the way back to the car
Paul White

Re: June 14 and 16th

Post by Paul White »

This evening, I'd had a crappy day at work, came home and had most of a bottle of wine. Had the wife drive me to the park to walk around after the buzz was starting to wear off. Saw more horned lizards, which surprised me cause it was overcast and cool at the park (like high 60s) and drizzly off and on. Photos aren't the great...I was more lit than the environment. Neither of those made for great picture taking :lol:
I mixed up the order importing them. the last photo shown here was the first taken...my hands were still not very steady.
3rd

2nd

1st

its entirely possible some of these are the same individual lizards; there's only like 3-4 miles of trails at the park I like to go to and there's certain stretches where I usually find at least one horned lizard. In particular on the prairie loop trail, there's this one stretch with *tons* of ants that's sort of a mix of mesquite shrubs and short grass that's usually good for at least one horned lizard, sometimes 2-3 over maybe a couple hundred yards.