Parts of AZ closed?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

VanAR

Parts of AZ closed?

Post by VanAR »

For you AZ-locals, how much of this is legit? Was sent to me by a friend, but only Fox has picked up on it.

AZ south of I-8, between Gila Bend and Casa Grande, closed to Americans
M Wolverton

Re: Parts of AZ closed?

Post by M Wolverton »

I've seen photos of warning signs in that area and had read the quotes from the Pinal Co. Sheriff, but the headline and a lot of that sounds :crazyeyes:
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

That just sounds crazy! :shock:
Gordon C. Snelling

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

They have been warning folks for several years now about camping in areas immediately adjacent to the border. Sycamore canyon/ruby roads are good examples. This is a pretty good example though of just how bad things are getting down there and I truly suspect that the story is fairly accurate. Very depressing as the southern part of the state is one of my favorite places to visit.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yep! It's all true...every word of it! The "Fox Nation" reports only the gospel! Should you have any concerns for your safety...STAY THE HELL AWAY from southern AZ. This place is the cartels' playground now!!!

And it only gets worse during the monsoons!!!!

LOL!
Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

Rob wrote: And it only gets worse during the monsoons!!!!
I hear drug smugglers like to hide in talus slopes, waiting to ambush unsuspecting passersby.
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Yep! It's all true...every word of it! The "Fox Nation" reports only the gospel! Should you have any concerns for your safety...STAY THE HELL AWAY from southern AZ. This place is the cartels' playground now!!!

And it only gets worse during the monsoons!!!!

LOL!
I hope so! :thumb:
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Just found this on Buenos Aires NWR's webpage:

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/ar ... 202010.pdf

probably media hype after all, but I'm still interested in whatever opinions people have.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I'm sure out of state hunting license is available. That should allow you to carry on any land that allows hunting.
goannaman

Post by goannaman »

I spend a lot of time in these areas and no its not true, but. But at times sheriffs will tell you to stay away from this area or that area. I respond by saying, its YOUR job to protect the public and tell them where NOT to go.

As far as actual danger, I have seen lots and lots of illegals and drug smugglers and not one has done anything aggressive. But then, I do not confront them or carry a gun(become a threat).

There is no question, my life and limbs have been in danger from BORDER PATROL. They go crashing around our back roads, with lots of testosterone, a gun and a big truck. AND NO TRAINING. This is what the veteran BP tell me. The young guys quit before they can be fully trained.

On any given night, Border Patrol kills more wildlife (reptiles in particular) then all the poachers take.

And please this is not a statement in support of illegals or drug smugglers. Its a simple statement of whats going on here.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

VanAR wrote:Just found this on Buenos Aires NWR's webpage:

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/ar ... 202010.pdf
No date on the release itself, but judging from the file name it came out yesterday.

From Organ Pipe Cactus NM's web site:
Due to our proximity to the International Boundary with Mexico, some areas near the border are closed for construction and visitor safety concerns.

. . .

All backcountry areas are closed to overnight use.
It's been like that at least since I visited last fall.