Its been a while.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

millside

Its been a while.

Post by millside »

I took a small leave of absence to get my head together. So I took a nice hike today and thought I would share it with you.
first a little natural history of the area. the north jersey area was a huge iron producer in the late 1800"s and early 1900"s. So if you keep your eyes peeled you can find remnants of this byfone era.
Came across this blocked off mine
here is the actual mine shaft. it goes down nearly vertical for 1100 feet and then another mile or so. a huge mine.
filled with water now, had 3 large pump systems to keep the miners dry
and the hoist building that pulled the carts up the 1100 feet with the ore
then up into the mountains I went. I finally leveled off around 1300 feet. and bushwacked along some top ridges.
flipped a double 5 liner under this rock
oh yes, forgot to say we started our hike at 6 am. hiked around an hour and a half and we are up to mile 4 now.
in some rocks I was flipping I came within 4 feet of this guy before I saw him. success
still in the blue
I was very happy and I headed back down the mountain.
I heard a rustle and was surprised at the size of this garter. I have not seen a bulky one like this in a while
I had a weird bug fly by and kept track of it
eastern eyed click beetle
highlight of the trip, while coming over a log at around mile 7. I stepped into a small hole. my ankle gave way and I went down pretty good. lay there in pain(hope the deer aren't upset at my foul language) for about 5 minutes. finally passed and was able to walk again, I really don't like the sound of muscles ripping but it is just a bad sprain. now lets finish the last 3 miles and hope we don't get sidetracked by nice habitat.
made it back to the truck obviously, but glad to be back on the forum.
Notread

Re: Its been a while.

Post by Notread »

Very cool! Yay, tuesday hikes return! Sorry about your ankle, that sounds really horrible.
Notread

Post by Notread »

Observe any bats at the gate?
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Awesome. I've been waiting for a new post. The mine info is intriguing... and the timber rocks. I found one of those beetles on Delmarva last year.
EyezOfTheWorld

Post by EyezOfTheWorld »

i love american history .awesome shotds and thanks for the tour .
if anyone wants a tour of historic SE,PA, let me know :thumb: