Non-Iquitos Peruvian Herping?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Robert Mendyk

Non-Iquitos Peruvian Herping?

Post by Robert Mendyk » February 9th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Are there any other areas or regions in the country besides Iquitos which are worth checking out herp-wise, perhaps outside the Amazon basin? I might be heading down to Peru later this spring, but may not have the time or ability to make it all the way up to that part of the country. I've got some ideas for other areas to check out, but would appreciate any tips and feedback from experienced travelers to Peru.

stlouisdude

Re: Non-Iquitos Peruvian Herping?

Post by stlouisdude » February 9th, 2011, 6:33 pm

There are tons of places in Peru. If going to Cusco, check out puerto maldonado. It's a cheap flight down there. I even saw herps at the overpriced machu picchu and on beaches. Most eco tour type things are basically running through the jungle stopping briefly to stare at mammals and the occasional neat bird followed by spot lighting caiman, though. I would hire a guide, private or otherwise specifically to search for herps unless you enjoy those things, too. Personally, I enjoy penguins, taipers, and waking up to howler monkeys, so it's less of an issue for me.

I enjoyed my time in the cities more than the jungle though to be honest.

frankc

Re: Non-Iquitos Peruvian Herping?

Post by frankc » February 13th, 2011, 10:55 pm

It all depends on what you're wanting to find.
Most of the impressive snakes are in the Northeast, but the coastal desert regions of Peru support a large number of very interesting lizards and geckos as well as a few snakes.
A few hot spots would be Balsas in central Peru, Paracas on the southwest coast, and anywhere on the coast north of Lima.