2 years of photos from NM & AZ....reposts

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Y.Morgan

2 years of photos from NM & AZ....reposts

Post by Y.Morgan »

One good thing about being an unambitious, semi-reclusive, ill-tempered herper with several good herper friends, strong legs, a camera, free time, and a NM address is that you're bound to bump into good sights here and there. These shots are random reposts from 2008 & 9. They're entirely from NM & AZ w/ a few from UT. Just whiz through them.....they're all reruns.
Y.Morgan

Re: 2 years of photos from the NM & AZ....reposts

Post by Y.Morgan »

That's plenty.
York
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Your posts always kick ass.. :thumb:

Question on this one

Is that two different species fighting like that??? Sure looks like it from the photo..

:beer:
Fundad
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Y.Morgan wrote:Is that two different species fighting like that??? Sure looks like it from the photo..
Hey, Fundad....I really appreciate it, Man. You win the obscure-question-of-the-post award!! :lol: Hell, I have no idea if they're the same species. I stopped at a store in southern AZ because I was outta beer, and these dudes were fighting in the parking lot. I assumed they were 2 males of the same species fighting over beef jerky rights. A coupla mo that I managed to shoot before the Tecate jones trumped the photo shoot:

azatrox

Re: 2 years of photos from NM & AZ....reposts

Post by azatrox »

Great series....can't think of too many species that aren't represented here. Some of those shots are quite picturesque (do I win the obscure word of the post award?).

Job well done.

-Kris
Nir

Post by Nir »

That was an incredible photo post!! I enjoyed all the various non herp photos and of course, the diversity of species is amazing!!

It really makes me wonder why I live in Quebec?? hehe I gotta go down to Arizona one of these days...
M.J.FRANETOVICH

Post by M.J.FRANETOVICH »

Yes I could not agree more!!!!! Great post and great photography work :beer: many of those shot's really caught my eye :shock: :thumb: :thumb:

><)))%>
Mel
justinm

Post by justinm »

I think this qualifies easily for an EPIC stamp.
bobassetto

Post by bobassetto »

thorn in the quick of the nail!!!!!!!.......BEEN THERE .....FELT THAT!!!!!!.........EFIN A!!!!!!!
ugh

Post by ugh »

Beautiful shots-I especially like the in-situ's.....
nice one of the black bear;and that second blacktail's a screamin' darky :thumb:
Y.Morgan wrote: Image
WTF?.....been trying to figure this one out for a minute or two :crazyeyes:
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

looks to me like the calf got stuck and the cow died mid-delivery. it happens
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, those are some incredible places you've been and finds you've made. I love that baby Gila! Don't see those posted too often. Also, the really light colored Speckled rattlesnakes were awesome! Great post! Did the border patrol come ask you what you were doing?
Sam Murray

Post by Sam Murray »

What a collection of photos! Incredible!
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

I remember a lot of these, others not so much. Thanks for the re-posting.

Sweet.
I mean that is fricken sweet looking!

-Dell
monklet

Post by monklet »

Ok, now I'm late for work! "...but you gotta understand, it was the funnest post ever...".
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all!
Ross Padilla wrote:I love that baby Gila! Don't see those posted too often. Did the border patrol come ask you what you were doing?
I've been lucky to see 2 really young Gilas. Both were so clumsy, they would trip and bump their chins as they walked. Talk about temptation! It was hard watching them crawl away, knowing they mightn't even survive the night.

Border Patrol asks me what I'm doing nearly every day. They obviously get lots of etiquette training, because they are ALWAYS very cool with me.
VanAR wrote:looks to me like the calf got stuck and the cow died mid-delivery. it happens
Bingo. Not a pretty sight or smell. I was actually photographing the unlikely juxtaposition of the cow's bloated, fly-infested body against some beautiful red cliffs for more than 5 minutes when I finally walked around her and discovered the cause of her death.
bobassetto wrote:thorn in the quick of the nail!!!!!!!.......BEEN THERE .....FELT THAT!!!!!!.........EFIN A!!!!!!!
:lol: I'm trying to do a better job of scheduling my falls, so that I avoid landing on agaves in the future. :D
azatrox wrote:Some of those shots are quite picturesque (do I win the obscure word of the post award?).
Thanks, Kris. You had it in the bag until I said "juxtaposition". :mrgreen:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Y.Morgan wrote:Talk about temptation!
Oh yeah, I could only imagine. I'd love to have one, but they were going for $1,300 last time I heard. I have more important things I have to do with that 1,300. :(
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Fabulous post! Man I miss it down there. Especially the Gila...

-Marisa
Jay Jacoby

Post by Jay Jacoby »

Amazing stuff. You have captured so much, and I feel a sence of humor to many of these shots.

Well done.

J. Jacoby
Mike Rochford

Post by Mike Rochford »

Amazing. Your posts have me wishing for warmer weather. Maybe next week. I love the habitat shots just as much as the many, many cool animals you posted. Some of those NM blacktails are stunning. And after that shot of the blacktail in the talus I've decided I'm hunting that stuff from the top down. By the way, any tips on how to hunt talus in a way that minimizes the number of rocks that are displaced? I want to be as low-impact as possible.

I'll be coming back to this post many times, I'm sure.

Mike
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

The black tails are absoulutly amazing.

That bite looks bad...

Thorn in the nail....shutter, that looks painful

Nice post!
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Tried to whiz through, but couldn't! Loved 'em all, from the end of the rainbow shot at the start to what I thought was a dead Gila coming back to life at the end. THANKS !!
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

seriously the greatest post ever!
josh
Chris Spearen

Post by Chris Spearen »

I've been a "lurker" for over a year. This post compelled me to register. Without a doubt an awsome post, even without text. So beautiful. Very, very nice.
Brian Willey

Post by Brian Willey »

Now that was one entertaining post!
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

WOW !
I was completely mesmerized the whole way through this post
Amazing and wonderful
Great Coral Snake
Awesome everything !
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

Thanks for the post. I wasn't around before the crash so all of these are new to me. Epic stuff, especially the baby Gila. So sick looking all miniaturized like that.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

Mike Rochford asked: By the way, any tips on how to hunt talus in a way that minimizes the number of rocks that are displaced? I want to be as low-impact as possible.

Allow me to interject...I seldom hike the middle of the talus (in part because like you, I want to be low impact)...I've had good luck hiking the base and sides...Doing so has allowed me to see a variety of herps (i.e. pricei, willardi, molossus, etc) without slipping and sliding all over the place.

It's funny because whenever I go to one of the better known talus slides in Az, I almost always see people hiking smack dab in the middle of the slide...I've never had much luck with that personally...Makes ALOT of noise and most animals slip further down into the rockpile before you even get a chance to see them...(they no doubt feel the thunderous vibration of your footfalls long before they come into your field of view).

Of course, I'd be remiss if I failed to mention that I've fallen more than a time or two while hiking talus, and this has also contributed to my current "base and sides" strategy....The talus is not solid and even seemingly solid footholds can slip from underfoot in the blink of an eye...

As much as it pains me to admit, I am not a talus ninja.

-Kris
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

As others have said, epic post! :thumb: :thumb: So many good pics I can't choose a favorite, but the kestrel dismembering the zebra tailed was cool. :D And I really liked the way you inserted the "lepidus hopper" right after the lepidus. Those light specks were some of the most stunning rattlesnakes I've ever seen!
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

I really appreciate everyone's kindness. Thanks so much! :beer:
John Martin wrote:And I really liked the way you inserted the "lepidus hopper" right after the lepidus.
Cool....I'm glad you noticed that!
Chris Spearen wrote:I've been a "lurker" for over a year. This post compelled me to register. Without a doubt an awsome post, even without text. So beautiful. Very, very nice.
Welcome to the Forum, Chris. Your joining just to post a compliment is the ultimate compliment. Thanks!
Mike Rochford wrote:By the way, any tips on how to hunt talus in a way that minimizes the number of rocks that are displaced? I want to be as low-impact as possible.
Thanks for your comments, Mike. I'm jonesing for warm weather too! As far as talus tips, I agree mostly with what Kris said, but I should also point out that I'm hardly qualified to expound as I'm a talus goober and have the scars to prove it. The lowest impact, obviously, is to avoid talus altogether and hike in more stable (but rocky) terrain. Equally obvious: steeper slope = more difficult to traverse. Talus slides form at the angle of repose, so are inherently unstable. Rock size plays a large part in determining the slope's stability; so that, for example, a slope built of multi-sized rocks can be more stable because the rocks tie each other in. A slope of same-sized rocks (and steep) might fail quickly when you step on it, and then you've caused a real mess of the slope. Slate-like talus (i.e. thin, flat rocks) are going to slide easily. Lichen-covered rocks typically indicate a slope that hasn't failed recently. Since talus slides are typically concave, the center of the "bowl" can be the most stable part. That's all I've got! :) For me, the real rush is hiking miles into "new" areas and finding my own rocky terrain that hasn't been trampled by herpers and doesn't necessarily include talus. Those locations can be gems....or not.
monklet wrote:"...but you gotta understand, it was the funnest post ever...".
How did that work out for you? If I were your supervisor, I'd totally understand. :thumb: Thanks!
mikez

Post by mikez »

Beautiful photography, kick azz critters, spectacular scenery, very cool composition. Really got me jonsin for spring. Three feet of snow gotta go before I can even see the ground. :?

I particularly enjoyed the pictographs and the snake in the ruins. I'm envious of that stuff as much as I am of the critters you got down there. I'd prolly end up wandering in the ruins and picking up sherds and points and forgeting the critters. 8-)

Can you refresh my memory about the bite? I'm pretty sure I dimmly remember reading about it before but it musta leaked out of the hole in my head. :lol:
M.J.FRANETOVICH

Just wanted to see this one back on top again :thumb:

><)))%>
~Mel~
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

WOW, so many great photos in there. Hard to pick favorites but I really liked the nightsnake drinking on the road. I also cant get enough of those white specks! Awesome. Whats the story with your arm?
monklet

Post by monklet »

How did that work out for you? If I were your supervisor, I'd totally understand. Thanks!
They fired my ass ...but it was worth it. ...and besides, now I'll have more time to herp this Spring :lol:
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Totally KICK-ASS!!!!!!!!!!! WoW! Thanks for the trip.

Rock ON!
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Thanks again, y'all, for the kudos.
monklet wrote:They fired my ass ...but it was worth it. ...and besides, now I'll have more time to herp this Spring :lol:
Whew! I"m glad nuthin' serious came of it. :lol:
Kfen wrote:Whats the story with your arm?
Thanks! Not much to the bite really. I got a little overzealous trying to tail a banded rock rattler as it tried to dive for cover and received my just reward. Hurt like a mofo for 2 days and then I was back at it. Those lil bastards hurt!

M.J.FRANETOVICH wrote:Just wanted to see this one back on top again :thumb:
HA! You're killing me. Very funny! :beer:
mikez wrote:I particularly enjoyed the pictographs and the snake in the ruins. I'm envious of that stuff as much as I am of the critters you got down there. I'd prolly end up wandering in the ruins and picking up sherds and points and forgeting the critters. 8-)
I hear you! Ruins are fantastic. From what I've read, there are hundreds of known sites along the Gila within 1 mile of the Cliff Dwellings. If that's your thang, that's my recommendation. You might even turn up a critter or 2. :D
M.J.FRANETOVICH

;)
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

Now you have to do a blacktail post! What range is that really brown one from? (the one after the the lyres) I would have PM'd you but I guess you're not in to that kinda thing...? Thanks for posting!

-Will