Quick question.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kfen

Re: Quick question.

Post by Kfen »

Josh Holbrook wrote:
A couple of us have - got lost in the mix. Those permitted to collect them in ENP hand them over to the National Park Service who them analyzes there stomach contents. Due to the park rules, most herp-tourists just watch them cross the road, from what I've heard.
yeah I know some did, I just wish more answered the question instead of pulling this thread completely off topic.
-EJ wrote:That's screwed up... on many levels.

Do you kill ferral cats or dogs?
Not sure where this question is going so I will answer it as fully as I can. I have not lived in any areas where these are a problem. Cats are one of the worst invasive species out there and if the oppurtunity was there for me to safely, legally, and humanely euthanize feral cats, I would not hesitate. I have removed 2 young cats from the "wild" and helped to find homes for them when I was visiting an area that did have some around. So from an ecological perspective, I did "kill" 2 cats. For the record, I have a pet cat, that does not go outside.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Christopher wrote: Either way there has been no shortage of burms to be found, and I dont buy the 80-90% loss claims for a heartbeat, I havent had any trouble finding them.

Sample bias. Saying you have no trouble finding pythons is like saying Chuck Norris has no trouble kicking ass. :mrgreen:
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

Is there any indication of whether or not the burm population was mature prior to the '09 freeze? It's been a while since I reviewed B. irregularis studies on Guam but seem to recall that the population went through some major changes. For example in the early decades numbers and sizes kept going up, and then at some point both started to decrease before stabilizing. I might have the size/number thing mixed up but think it was something like that. I imagine the max size factor won't be a major player with the burms but wonder if the smaller ones might be exhausting an important prey source?

Back to the point of whether or not it helps to remove invasive species. You can certainly keep the numbers down with a dedicated effort but you have to consider the size of the area. If the focus area is reasonable and the pressure is constant you can make a big impact........same goes for native species. Of course that depends on how easy it is to locate said species.

Shane
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Pretty easy... intinetntionally killing a creature for no real reason. The person broke the law by killing it. why on capture it and re home it... skin it... eat it... but to mindlessly kill it... there something that is inherantly wrong with that.

From your comment I think you get the idea.
Kfen wrote: Not sure where this question is going so I will answer it as fully as I can. I have not lived in any areas where these are a problem. Cats are one of the worst invasive species out there and if the oppurtunity was there for me to safely, legally, and humanely euthanize feral cats, I would not hesitate. I have removed 2 young cats from the "wild" and helped to find homes for them when I was visiting an area that did have some around. So from an ecological perspective, I did "kill" 2 cats. For the record, I have a pet cat, that does not go outside.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

-EJ wrote:Pretty easy... intinetntionally killing a creature for no real reason. The person broke the law by killing it. why on capture it and re home it... skin it... eat it... but to mindlessly kill it... there something that is inherantly wrong with that.

What?
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Josh Holbrook wrote:
-EJ wrote:Pretty easy... intinetntionally killing a creature for no real reason. The person broke the law by killing it. why on capture it and re home it... skin it... eat it... but to mindlessly kill it... there something that is inherantly wrong with that.

What?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

You seem like smart kids... ah... maybe not.
Matt J wrote:
Josh Holbrook wrote:

What?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

-EJ wrote:why on capture it and re home it... skin it... eat it... but to mindlessly kill it... there something that is inherantly wrong with that.
Are you talking about skinning and eating cats? Sounds gross.
quasimoto

Post by quasimoto »

Haha cat is the best! Slow cooked in teriyaki sauce mmmmmmmmm

Just Kidding of course ;)
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

They're not quite as good and tender as dog. They also tend to be a bit noisier than dogs when you dispatch them.
Matt J wrote:
-EJ wrote:why on capture it and re home it... skin it... eat it... but to mindlessly kill it... there something that is inherantly wrong with that.
Are you talking about skinning and eating cats? Sounds gross.
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »