Annual Rosy boa Club (ARC) report

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jdustin

Annual Rosy boa Club (ARC) report

Post by jdustin »

A couple weeks ago was the Annual Rosy boa Club meeting (ARC), held this year in Victorville CA. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate at all. Knowing this, most of the guys in attendence headed south and to lower areas in hopes that we might be able to find something.

I went to one of the more well known coastal areas to try my hand.
We walked around during the day and noticed that quite a few rocks have been stacked. I've seen several snakes in this pile in the past. I'm guessing the moving of the rocks won't bother them too much, but it's still annoying.

We came around a bend out there and saw this group of interesting looking ducks. The guy pointing at us is actually holding a big knife in his hand.

Then we saw our first snake for Friday, this DOR striped thing. On our next pass we saw a raven carrying it away.

Next came this gopher.

Then this coachwhip. It left a nice trail across the road.

On the next pass we struck gold. A closer look revealed that it was actually a pretty nice looking individual for that area.

Soon after than we went around to a spot that really didn't look that great for boas, yet there was the second boa laying on a paved section of road.

Lastly, not long after dark we came up on this kingsnake. I love night driving kings.... its so cool to see the strips from the car.

Thanks again to everybody that made this years ARC happen. Special thanks to hellihooks for putting in all the work, and billboard for some words of encouragement. About an hour before I found the first snake Bill called to tell me that "he had a feeling I was about to find a rosy boa."
RockRatt Rich Morgan

Re: Annual Rosy boa Club (ARC) report

Post by RockRatt Rich Morgan »

You had a great trip bro. I was just glad some rosys were found during ARC with the bad weather conditions we had. Great Job bro.Also it was cool to hang out and chat rosys with ya saturday.Congrats...Rich
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

yeah man, it was good to meet up with you too. You're pretty much the only one I saw during that trip (besides my brother). It was nice to sit around and shoot the bull. Your son trying to walk out while sleep walking was pretty funny. :)
I wish I'd gotten to spend more time with you and others, but we'll leave that for next year's ARC. It'll be legendary.
Boadacious

Post by Boadacious »

Nice! Yeah the high desert was too cold for boas. I love the spot you cruized saw my first neo road rosy boa there. On the way up to the high desert on ARC weekend we saw two nice Rosy boas a male and a female and a nice little speck, and a gopher snake,along with 3 dors
Boadacious

Post by Boadacious »

Billboard is the snake Psychic obviously psychotic. He predicted my first Rosy find over the phone and sure enough 30 min later my son and I struck Rosy Gold up in Johnson Valley. :shock:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Looks like you went to one of the best spots possible that weekend. What a bummer the weather turned out like that. This year has been very up and down in temps. That Cal king shot is priceless.