Need resources for the Paraguayan Chaco

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

Need resources for the Paraguayan Chaco

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Does anybody know of any available resources such as a field guide/etc. to the herps (or any animals/plants, for that matter) of Paraguay or the Gran Chaco? I'm going in the coming months and am teaching a class on snakes; so it'd be nice to get acquainted with the snakes there.

danh

Re: Need resources for the Paraguayan Chaco

Post by danh »

http://www.nhbs.com/guia_para_la_identi ... 75068.html

This book is also for sale in bookstores in Ascuncion. Also, the guy who runs the Fauna paraguay website, Paul Smith, is a great resource and can point you in many directions.

WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

Heres a link to a fairly informative webpage http://www.faunaparaguay.com/replist.html. There is also a somewhat decent field guild out there. I cant remember what's its called.

Like always the warm and wet is the time to go looking. Personally I think overall the country sucks but from a wildlife viewing perspective its good. All kinds of stuff. Reptile and amphibian junk like..........tri colored hogs, Chironius, Philodryas, durissus, tegus, budgetts frogs, horn frogs...... sauvagii etc. Are all a dime ad dozen. If you go in the wet like everywhere you have this to look forward to.

ERNIE EISON

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Thanks for the info, guys. I just bought that book, Dan.

Ernie - I found Paraguay to be possibly the nicest country I've ever visited, and I've seen a few. Good food, Good (and few) people, and good herps. Thanks for the info, last time I visited was in August and it was dry as a bone. Is the roadcruising any good with all that wet?

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

As a mood setter, Gerald Durrell's "The Drunken Forest", a hilarious account of his 1954 collecting trip to Argentina and the Chaco, can't be beat.

danh

Post by danh »

http://www.guarani-raity.com/html/english.html

This is one of the best-designed websites I have ever seen. They list a field guide to the herps of the Paraguayan Chaco and a field guide to the vipers of the Paraguayan Chaco. You have to e-mail them for prices, and they "make national and international delivery".