South Africa here I come!!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

nils

South Africa here I come!!!

Post by nils »

Well.... since I have the best girlfriend in the world I got the best Christmasgift!
She had saved money for a loooong time without me knowing it. And I got a trip to South Africa!! Leaving on the 24. of January, returning the 10. Of February. This is just Amazing.
Offcourse I will get in as much herping as possible and hopefully see as many snakes possible. So now I really need som really good advice :shock: .

we arrive in Johannesburg and will move south towards Durban. Spend some time on the Natal coast before working our way to johannesburg again.

I am desperate to get some help:)

Thanks
Nils

http://www.denlilledyrehage.no
Curtis Hart

Re: South Africa here I come!!!

Post by Curtis Hart »

I was there in May '09. I didn't see a ton of herps in Kruger, but it was great for mammals. The area around St. Lucia should be good for you, as that park allows you to walk anywhere, thus herp. Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.
nils

Post by nils »

St. Lucia looks like a great place.. Thanks.

Keep them advices comming.
I scream out to you South African peeps in here... :crazyeyes:
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

the only advice I can offer is to propose quickly.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Good call, Paul. She might wake up soon :-)
KEAC

Post by KEAC »

Unfortunately I cannot give you any personal experience advice from South Africa.....yet! But if he is available your best bet is to contact Donald Schultz. He is either in So.Cal or So.Africa.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Its a great place... you should have lots of fun.

I know a few great people on St. Lucia, Zululand and JoBerg I can hook you up with. These guys know of some amazing spots.

Roadcruise St. Lucia for sure.... saw some awesome herps there.

Richard
nils

Post by nils »

I think Donald just got back to US but it would be great to get his email...

Maybe I should merry before she wakes up... When she wakes up I know it is to late.... "please dont wake up...please" :lol:

If anybody have som herping contacts in South Africa I'd love to know:)
Squam8

Post by Squam8 »

Your girlfriend is a keeper that's all I have to say! Good luck!
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Sounds like a great trip. I can't give you any personal information but if you haven't been there you should check out the S African Herp forum:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/portal.php
You will notice that in several places they say you really have to watch out for law enforcement.

Please post lots of pics when you get back.
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

Try to find the Mokele mbembe. I dont believe in it but if you found it with a photo. I'd change my mind.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Never had any brush with the local law enforcement while I was there... did see a few road block/speed trap type things.... but our guide drove right past. It looked like most people did that.

As far as contact... pm'd you some info on some good places to see/visit. Will be sending you some email address' and tel #'s tomorrow.

Good luck... you will LOVE it. :thumb:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Email me [email protected] I'll send you 2 contacts that might help you.
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks to all..

I arrive in Johannesburg and will spend the three first days in Kruger before travelling to St. Lucia. I will offcourse also visit Umfolozi gamereserve. So if anybody has some good spots they would like to share it would be great:)

Regards nils
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks to all who helped all they could:)

As I have allready said my first days will be spend in the Kruger. And now I am thinking " this is a f.....g big place :shock:
Where shold i Go from Johannesburg? And which part og Kruger should I visit? I have a rentalcar...

Thanks...

Leaving in the morning 8-)
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

You will have a blast Im sure... and you got some numbers to the right people to call.

Kruger is huge... you can't really go wrong. Call Anton, he could tell you about a proper place to raodcruise around Kruger... there is a big stretch of road only used to go into the park... so its dead at night. Seen Spitters and Puff Adders there.... as well as lots of other creatures.

Exchange some money at the airport... tough to change elsewhere, unless you want to hang out in a bank for hours.

Richard
nils

Post by nils »

Thanks man...
maybe this sounds stupid... But I am allowed to drive in Kruger with my rental? And is it best to get lodging inside the park? I will stay 4 nights in the area. Not only herping but looking at other wildlife as well:)

Thanks
mrichardson

Post by mrichardson »

nils wrote:Thanks man...
maybe this sounds stupid... But I am allowed to drive in Kruger with my rental? And is it best to get lodging inside the park? I will stay 4 nights in the area. Not only herping but looking at other wildlife as well:)

Thanks
This reply is probably going to be too late, but yes you can drive a rental in Kruger. For herping the national park is not so good as you can't leave the car in most parts. You might see some stuff around the camps or on the road.

Lodging in the park gets booked up fast, but it's better than staying outside the park.

Hope you have a good trip and look forward to reading how you got on.
nils

Post by nils »

I have one week left in South Africa... I has been amazing but its not a hardcore herping trip... I have seen some amazing animals but only 5 snakes. Two seen in Kruger just crossing the road in a hurry and 3 seen in St. Lucia. Roadcruised St. Lucia at night but only 3 realy small snakes. Any advice on the way?
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Careful with those small dark snakes... don't want to get tagged by a stiletto.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

So which snakes did you see?

I think our most common find in St. Lucia were those Natal Gloss Snakes... really cool looking. Only saw Puff adders and a Spitter in Kruger.
nils

Post by nils »

The snakes seen in Kruger could be anything from a small black mamba to a harmless one. Saw two fast moving snakes just getting out of the way as my car got close. Saw one dead puff adder there as well.

Did some roadcruising around Hazyview and a lot in St. Lucia area. Did not see anything in Hazyview. But in St Lucia I have seen som small ones. Commen eggeater, Rhombi egg eater, house snakes and some I cant really tell:) All snakes have been between 10 cm and 30 cm.

I have just 4 days left and I am dying to get a puff adder or a cobra would be amazing.

Hedding for the Hazyview area in two days. Spending my last days cruising and visiting Kruger again. But I am Staying in Hazyview so I can look for snakes as well. Any last pointers?