A Veiled Chameleon natural history question

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

A Veiled Chameleon natural history question

Post by Josh Holbrook »

So, I'm investigating some "new" areas for veiled chameleons in Florida to get a handle on their actual range; but the recent cold snap has raised some questions. I know such cold by no means kills off veiled populations, but my questions are thus:

1.) Do veiled chameleons (or any other cham species) go into underground (or any) refugia during the cold?

2.) Are there any activity changes during cold weather?

As much as I appreciate captive observations, I'm more looking for field expertise on the subject. And if anybody is willing to contribute any chameleon spot leads to my research it would be much appreciated - specific localities will NOT be published anywhere, just a couple voucher photos and which county.

Thanks in advanced everybody. Happy New Year!

-Josh
Nick

Re: A Veiled Chameleon natural history question

Post by Nick »

Not sure what exactly where they go, but I couldn't find any Veileds after a freeze in early December. A week earlier they could readily be found.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Nick wrote:Not sure what exactly where they go, but I couldn't find any Veileds after a freeze in early December. A week earlier they could readily be found.

Yeah - They definitely survived fine at the various spots after the hard freeze last year, but I think a good portion of them may go to a refugia if possible, just not sure yet. I went out to a PB county population last night and saw none, but it's also the first decent night after several bitter cold nights. Thanks for the field observation :beer:

-Josh
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Josh: email your inquiry to this person: chamelisa(at)yahoo.com. She is an expert on chameleons (knows many of the species natural history and she rescues them).
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

1.) Do veiled chameleons (or any other cham species) go into underground (or any) refugia during the cold?

2.) Are there any activity changes during cold weather?

Veils hide under rocks and dig burrows when the weather sucks. In Yeman it sucks quite a bit.

Are there any activity changes during cold weather? Yeah, they hide instead of hunt and breed.

Heres a couple I caught in my driveway. A big male and a gravid female.

ERNIE EISON

ImageImage
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Klawnscale - thanks, I'll email her

Ernie - Thanks for the info. I kind of suspected that, being as pickings are usually slim to nil on cold nights and much better on warm nights.
Crimson King

Post by Crimson King »

a freind who keeps some wc alien veileds in his pool enclosure area tells me they will get down at the base of their trees and into the small cavities/roots when it gets chilly....Not exactly what you may want but it shows they don't just stay in the trees and freeze if they have a choice..I guess...
:Mark
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

I can't seem to find the book anywhere, but one of the books I read when I first started breeding veileds mentioned that the temps may swing into the thirty's at night where they live and that they seek refuge in cracks in the soil, or under rocks etc. I personally experimented with temperatures etc with some of my hatchlings. I put them in outdoor enclosures in March in Kansas and found that they survived and even thrived when exposed to daily shifts in temp. I didn't notice them hiding under substrate, but their cages were heavily planted and not large enough to really provide much temperature gradient.

Dan
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I'll bet you if you dropped a note to Ron Tremper he'd probably fill in the blanks for you. I seem to remember that he was a big part in commercializing those lizards.