A few snakes from the other day/night,

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

goannaman

A few snakes from the other day/night,

Post by goannaman »

A couple vinesnakes and a huge greenrat. She is over five feet and gravid.

What was very cool was, she eye shined and I got that in the photo.

The young man is my friend Tyler, it was his first vinesnakes and second greenrat. Althought he did not see the first one, he did see this one. hahahahahahahaha. By the way, Tyler received a hot bite from the second vinesnake. hahahahahahaha I almost died laughing. His finger burned them became numb, got stiff. It cleared up in an hour or so. Cheers
Ross Padilla

Re: A few snakes from the other day/night,

Post by Ross Padilla »

That Green Rat Snake is really cool, but I guess you already knew that. hahahahahahaha

Cheers
Ryan Thies

Post by Ryan Thies »

Nice!

Ryan
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Wow. This post may only have two animals, but those species both have very restricted ranges within the borders of the united states, and are supposedly not all that easy to find. Good work.
goannaman

Post by goannaman »

Snake man, there is three animals, two different vine snakes.

We did a survey a few years ago in this area and Vine snakes and Greenrats are two of the three most common(encountered) species. Our survey was on two seven mile sections of road. So there was no "special" hunting methods envolved.

Of course, as with most thought to be rare species, picking the right areas and timing are very important. Neither one of these species are shy about moving in the open.

Which is something very odd about vine snakes. They are much like coachwhips, racers, and gardersnakes. All considered to be common because they spend lots of time "out". Vinesnakes spend lots of time out and they are considered to be rare. My guess is, they are hard to see, particularly the babies and when in bushes.

Greenrats are very very common, much like any of the eastern rat snakes. But they do have a very specific habitat and fortunately, its the kind of habitat roads stay away from. So there are very few roads that cross prime habitat. Where they do, greenrats are common. Cheers
atheris978

Post by atheris978 »

Carmel Motley Corn! lol
Amazing facial structural similarities with our east coast corns. I've never really looked so close at the triaspis like that.
Cool shots!
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Man, my field guides just made me sound really stupid. Oh well, those critters are still cool.
yoloherper

Post by yoloherper »

Nice post with two awsome species. Did you take any pictures of the Oxybelis bight?