Species gaps by County

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Re: Species gaps by County

Post by Zach_Lim »

Chad M. Lane wrote:
There's an odd little introduced population of side-blotched in Santa Cruz county.
Is it truly introduced? I've heard mixed story's? I've found them in two locations in Santa Cruz Co.

Cheers,
Chad
I've seen them at the one well known site and have heard they were introduced there...

bizzare

-Zach
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I'm talking about the same place as Zach, and as far as being introduced I'm only going off of what I've heard.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

jonathan wrote:Hey - any more northern counties to add to this thread?
Sorry, I'm kind of out of herping mode for awhile. Including database stuff :(

I have had a few interesting finds though -

http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=80185

If I was a betting man, I'd guess that was the same place (within few hundred yards) you documented the species (CA Whiptail in Contra Costa). Maybe even same place as Michael Gibbons' record, too.

http://www.naherp.com/search.php?r_owne ... ounty=1737

Finally got me some Alameda County records. Every species I recall ever finding at Grandma's house (and yes, that's where they are from) - including my first naherp ring-neck of any subspecies, my first naherp arboreal, and my first naherp Yellow-eyed Ensatina.

But I'm mostly shut down from herping probably for another month or two.
Busy busy.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I didn't see red-sided garters listed for SLO Co.-- I found a dor there round Easter and I believe both Waters and Hubbs have RS's from there. jim
Nightsnakeman

Post by Nightsnakeman »

I would think there would be more Ensatina eschscholtzii eschscholtzii from San Diego County. I'm surprised by that!

Nightsnakeman
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

hellihooks wrote:I didn't see red-sided garters listed for SLO Co.-- I found a dor there round Easter and I believe both Waters and Hubbs have RS's from there. jim
According to californiaherps.com, T. sirtalis from San Luis Obispo County would actually be Valley Garters, which is what Waters and Hubbs have listed theirs as. In Stebbins, however, it's red-sided garters all the way down the coast.

ihttp://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t. ... nalis.html
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

You might want to update these lists now Jonathan...a lot has been added, especially in the pond turtle department, however, most of my pond turtles are "restricted" and don't show the county name. I left one entry open per county vouchered, but most counties have many entries (some have over 50). ;)

As for the Valley/Red-sided garter thing...I'm not sure if I agree with the current view, but I listed them according to it. However, there seems to be no visual difference between what we are calling Valley garters in SLO county and the South Coast Red-sided garters from southern CA... :roll:
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Brian Hubbs wrote:You might want to update these lists now Jonathan...a lot has been added
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I'm still quite busy for another week, but sometime during the holiday season I should have lots of time to do stuff like that.

Hey, while I'm working on California, you should make the same lists for Arizona. ;)
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I have a job...and all my spare time is devoted to adding data and telling you what you should do...LOL
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

and telling you what you should do...LOL
:lol: :lol:

Fundad
sitarshaman

Post by sitarshaman »

I am interested in the detailed range of Crotalus Ruber in Los Angeles County. Has anyone done such a study ?
TheUndertow

Post by TheUndertow »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Here's Santa Cruz County:

Expected in SC County, (according to G. Nafis's range maps) but absent from the database so far:

Hypsiglena torquata nuchalata - California Nightsnake
Lampropeltis getula californiae - California Kingsnake (Hope springs eternal...)
Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis - California Red-sided Gartersnake

Anniella pulchra - California Legless Lizard
Phrynosoma blainvillii - Blainville's Horned Lizard
Sceloporus graciosus gracilis - Western Sagebrush Lizard (Possibly- it gets close to the SC border in Santa Clara Co.)

Anaxyrus boreas halophilus - California Toad
Rana boylii - Foothill Yellow-legged Frog
Spea hammondii - Western Spadefoot

Ambystoma californiense - California Tiger Salamander
I have personally observed California Kingsnakes, Blainville's Horned Lizards, Western Sagebrush Lizards, California Toads, and Califonia Tiger Salamanders in Santa Cruz Co. How would I go about adding them to the database?
Owen

Post by Owen »

Jon, you need to register on naherp.com
TheUndertow

Post by TheUndertow »

Owen wrote:Jon, you need to register on naherp.com
Thank you, Owen!
:beer:
TheUndertow

Post by TheUndertow »

Registered and added the Cal Tiger. Ill have to go back through my notes at a later time to find the others :thumb: