Date Night

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

David O

Date Night

Post by David O »

With the kids 400 miles away visiting there grandparents (and trying to show up the WI contingency in finding radix), my wife and I took a few hours off of the various household projects and decided to go out for dinner and a walk.

After some General Tso's, we took a drive to a place she enjoys due to the unique natural features, and I enjoy because of the herps that call those features home.

Here's the missus as we start our stroll (habitat in background).

We walked through the open areas of the understory, watching for racers, skinks, maybe a hognose, but really didn't see anything except a few ant-lion pits. Since Angie was unfamiliar with these little beasties, I found a couple ants and gave her a demonstration.

We continued wandering until we came to an old paved trail, which I thought we'd follow over to another open, sandy area. On the way, however, I noticed what appeared to be a recent burrow in the hill along the side of the trail. I went over and peered into it. At first, all I could see was some lumpy looking sand. Then I made out what I thought was scales and called, "Hognose!"

As carefully as I could, I brushed away the sand from the side of the burrow and a hiss sounded inside. After a couple more brushes, a coil was in reach, and I extracted my first Heterodon platyrhinos.

As you can see, the rear half of the body was fairly slight, indicating this gal had dropped a clutch recently. She had hooded out, and I wanted to see her play dead, but (as I brushed her off for another photo) I figured she had been recovering in the burrow and I didn't want to stress her to much.

After this last photo I placed her back in the burrow (see orange arrow on left side of pic), and pushed the wall I had dismantled back into place.

I have to give a hat tip to Carl Koch, without whose fascinating photos of burrows at "Hog Prairie" (some of that stuff might ought to be reposted, Carl!) I might never have investigated the little hole in the side of the hill.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking.
Mike Pingleton

Re: Date Night

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Now that's a great story (and a great date). What was your wife's reaction to that chain of events?

Congrats on the hoggie!

-Mike
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Most interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Brian Folt

Post by Brian Folt »

Most interesting. Thanks for sharing that.
Indeed! It seems like everyone in Ohio is finding hogs this year... (::cough:: except for me....)

If you don't mind me asking, was this gal found up in the NW corner of the state?
David O

Post by David O »

Mike, She really doesn't like snakes, so she was at once fascinated and distressed. She was brave enough to take a picture though.

Thanks Carl.

Brian, sounds like you have a pretty good bead on where I was. Just keep going out, you'll get one. Took me a few years of occassional forays into their territory.
Ryan Thies

Post by Ryan Thies »

Outstanding find! That must be a rush to find a hog-nosed snake that way. Congratulations on a successful date!

Ryan
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Man that is a dirty hog! Good find though. Hogs make good lifers.
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

Way to go, David...a great story and find, and confirmation that we can contribute to each other's success/enjoyment through sharing on this forum!
RobK

Post by RobK »

I'd say this makes it into the top 5 of the... "You might be a herper if..." thread

...if you find a burrowing hognose snake on a "date night" with the wife. Great find! Thanks for sharing.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Nice post David, I do love hoggies! I'm just wondering, do you think the female may have deposited her eggs in that very burrow in which you found her?
David O

Post by David O »

I thought it was possible, but I did make a cursory check and didn't see any indication there were eggs in there.

Thanks!
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I like that picture a lot (both the date and the sandy snake lol). G. Tsos is good stuff, too. I hate it when it's the bready kind (think fish sticks breading) that tastes like it just came out of a microwave, though. If you are ever so unfortunate as to get that kind, you'll know exactly what I mean!