A few from Costa Rica

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

robbielab

A few from Costa Rica

Post by robbielab »

Earlier this year, in July, I embarked on a 5 month backpacking trip to Central America, from which I have just returned (I am now back in England where the temperature has been below freezing for the last few weeks... a bit of a shock!). I spent most of my time in less-travelled Nicaragua, during which my brother and I spent two weeks camping in the middle of the rainforest (posts to come), as well as a month working to conserve critically endangered iguanas in Honduras (another future post!). I also had to hop over to Costa Rica after 3 months to renew my visa, so decided to spend just over a week here to see bit of the country. I didn't plan to spend long in Costa Rica - I heard it was very touristy (I usually try to avoid places like this), and expensive (on a backpackers budget, I wanted to avoid this too!), but after coming this far around the world I had to see at least some of it!

I decided first to head to La Fortuna to see the famous Arenal Volcano - one of the most active in the Americas! An impressive site, I admit, and the surrounding forests looked great from the bus as I arrived in La Fortuna. Once there, however, I discovered that you had to pay an extortionate amount for a taxi each way to get to the forest trails on your own (or you could go with a guided group tour for a similar price) which, quite frankly, I couldn't afford to do! Instead, I found out about a patch of rainforest which you could visit for free bordering the Fortuna River, a short walk south of the town. It was a small patch of forest but the wildlife was great! I saw an armadillo and my first toucan, neither of which I managed to photograph! I also found a few frog species, including one of my favourites (very common here!), the strawberry poison-dart frog (Oophaga pumilio).

I know some of these photos aren't the best (as they were taken mainly for ID purposes), but I thought I'd include them along with some of the better ones. Some of the species I haven't managed to ID (I didn't have a great field guide!), so any help would be great!

Arenal Volcano, puffing a bit of smoke

The "free" patch of forest

Juvenile Striped basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus)

The Rio Fortuna

Another basilisk by the river

Some kind of anole

A cluster of harvestman

Litter toad (Bufo haematiticus), showing it's dead-leaf camouflage (complete with "holes")

Red-eyed treefrog (Agalychnis callidryas)... Costa Rica's most famous!

Strawberry poison-dart frog (Oophaga pumilio)

... this one was almost still a tadpole!

Slender anole (Norops limifrons)

Central American whiptail (Ameiva festiva)

La Fortuna

Black vultures circling

The hostel I stayed at in La Fortuna had a large tree next to the balcony containing a group of green iguanas which visited the feeding platform that the owners had set up for them (another "tourist attraction!", but it provided good photo opportunities).

Three iguanas

Male, in his orange breeding colours

Arenal Volcano at night

More to come from Costa Rica...
Steve Atkins

Re: A few from Costa Rica

Post by Steve Atkins »

Sweet, I love the shot of the orange iggy, beautiful!
Lizardman1988

Post by Lizardman1988 »

Your mystery anole is Norops oxylophus. Good stuff, Costa Rica is an awesome place to visit. There are many less touristy spots than La Fortuna to visit as well, like the Osa Peninsula.
kysnakeguy

Post by kysnakeguy »

grat post, i was in that area when i stayed in costa rica, great place
Bill Love

Post by Bill Love »

I'm enjoying your post, Robbie. Gorgeous big male green iguana! Looking forward to more parts of your Central American wanderings.
J-Miz

Post by J-Miz »

Is that chick in the 7th-last picture hot? :mrgreen:

I really like that basilisk and the unidentified anole shot right below it. Costa Rica is a country I've dreamed of visiting for years. Thanks for sharing.
robbielab

Post by robbielab »

Thanks for the ID, Lizardman! I know there are some great spots which are less touristy, next time I will try and get to them! Tortuguero was a place I really wanted to visit, and the Osa peninsular... and Puerto Viejo!

J-miz, I never saw her face... but the view from behind wasn't bad at all! ;) Central America is a great part of the world, hope you get out there soon!

Thanks Bill, more Central American to come...

I forgot to put up the following frog pic (a rubbish photo, I know, but hopefully good enough for someone to help me ID!!!)

Thanks!
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Great post Robbie, that's a great shot of the orange iguana.

I like the whole back-packing approach - got me thinking...

-Mike