Advice needed: where to go in CA 4th week of November

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jimoo742

Advice needed: where to go in CA 4th week of November

Post by jimoo742 »

Good morning,

First, I'm not really asking for specific locations, I know how protected favorite spots are.

The situation: I just learned that I get the day after Thanksgiving off, so, I have a 4 day weekend, 4.5 if I get a head start Wednesday night. I'm based in SF. I'm new to California, just moved here from Boston in April (that was my last move). I'm still getting used to the weather/terrain/biota here, and it will take some time, but I'm trying to figure out where things might still be active and I can get in some herp photography. Since arriving I've been able to visit Redwood NP, Pinnacles NM, Lassen NP and a bunch of other northern places).

Where should I head to? I thought about camping in Yosemite, but I'm also considering heading further afield. Death Valley? Mojave? (I know the restrictions of NPs, and while they can be a pain, I respect and understand the need).

I'm looking for advice as to where might be good regions to check out 11/24-28.

Not sure how to introduce myself or what info to include but I'm 39. I've worked for the Wisconsin DNR and The Nature Conservancy. In SF I'm working for a NP land trust. Mostly have done herp work in Wisconsin (mostly timber, massasauga and ornate surveys) and Kentucky (where I did copper belly watersnake field work). My undergrad is in Wildlife and Fisheries Biology from UVM, though I got sidetracked into policy for grad school (UW Madison, go Bucky!). I love wildlife photography and my vacations are geared around it (Cambodia (where the avatar is from), Belize, Costa Rica and a load of US NPs in the past few years). I've been pretty fortunate and am excited to check out California.
Schell

Re: Advice needed: where to go in CA 4th week of November

Post by Schell »

If you're wanting to herp, then none of the above. The deserts are dead this time of year, and there's not much herping to be done in Yosemite. Although, winter is my favorite time to go to Yosemite (I was there last weekend) although they hadn't gotten any snow yet. If you haven't been to Yosemite and aren't looking to herp, that is a good choice. This time of year for herping, it's all about the amphibs. You probably want to hit up the north coast (Mendocino, Humboldt, Del Norte).
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Ah, ok. Well, I love finding salamanders, the rare occasions I can. I enjoyed Arcata and the surrounding area when I visited in the summer.

I don't have a good eye for the habitats (should I focus on stream valleys, fens/bogs, coniferous forests?) up there though so I fear striking out, but hey, that happens some times.

Thank you.
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

Hi jimoo742! Nice to meet you and welcome to CA. I live about 2 hours south of you in the Monterey Peninsula. I'm looking to connect with people close to me. Maybe when the season starts up again we can connect. Good luck on your trip and have a great time where ever you decide to go. Take care.

Andy
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Thank you. That would be excellent.

Jim
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I live in San Francisco as well and herp regularly. PM me if you need some info.
Cheers-Zach
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

It looks like there are quite a few SF folk. We need to get some numbers together and organize a picnic or something so we could all meet. Would be nice to interact in person too.
indoaustralia

Post by indoaustralia »

I'd be down for a meetup.
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

indoaustralia wrote:I'd be down for a meetup.
That makes at least 2 of us so far! Let's come up with a date in a couple of months (After January) and start the RSVP list.
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

I'm down. Would love to meetup.
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

jimoo742 wrote:I'm down. Would love to meetup.
BAM!!! That's 3 amigos! Any more?
Schell

Post by Schell »

I'm in. I live in the East Bay, but am always down to get out.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I'm game. How does this sound for a plan. The Soquel State Demonstration Forest in Santa Cruz County has never been surveyed for herps and the Forester in charge is very interested in having some data of this nature collected as part of their Management Plan. I've been in communication with him about this lately and I'm certain we could document some finds and make a good outing of it. I was planning on goin out there for this purpose several times over the next year, and would enjoy some company. It's also safer with a partner or two. It's a big piece of property so there is plenty of opportunity to find a decent variety of herps.

Lawrence
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

One other thing. I wasn't refering to the 4th week of November, I was thinking about December or January as someone else mentioned. Should be good for Salamanders anyway.

Lawrence
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

How does this sound for a plan. The Soquel State Demonstration Forest in Santa Cruz County has never been surveyed for herps and the Forester in charge is very interested in having some data of this nature collected as part of their Management Plan. I've been in communication with him about this lately and I'm certain we could document some finds and make a good outing of it. I was planning on goin out there for this purpose several times over the next year, and would enjoy some company. It's also safer with a partner or two. It's a big piece of property so there is plenty of opportunity to find a decent variety of herps.
I'm down for that, I've spent a little time near there, I'm sure there are many cool species on the property to find.

PM me for more info.

Cheers,
Chad
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Completely down with that as well. Please let me know when, or make a post on here, and I'll be sure to get it.
pelagicpursuits

Post by pelagicpursuits »

I would love to meet up and look for some sallies. Just make the meeting details known on the forum and I will be there!
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

Calfirecap wrote:I'm game. How does this sound for a plan. The Soquel State Demonstration Forest in Santa Cruz County has never been surveyed for herps and the Forester in charge is very interested in having some data of this nature collected as part of their Management Plan. I've been in communication with him about this lately and I'm certain we could document some finds and make a good outing of it. I was planning on goin out there for this purpose several times over the next year, and would enjoy some company. It's also safer with a partner or two. It's a big piece of property so there is plenty of opportunity to find a decent variety of herps.

Lawrence
I think that would rock! I am definitely interested! If you're willing to lead the charge for the survey, I would definitely be interested in helping when I can. I just found out I may have to get surgery on my ankle sometime in December but if we are able to come up with a date before my surgery date I would love to help. Any ideas on how to get these plans rolling?
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I'll go ahead and take the lead on this and come up with a date and data sheets. One thing has come up that I must mention is that the only thing collected would be data and photographs. I know this should go without saying, but there may be somebody new who might otherwise succumb to temptation.

Lawrence
AReaHerps

Post by AReaHerps »

Calfirecap wrote:I'll go ahead and take the lead on this and come up with a date and data sheets. One thing has come up that I must mention is that the only thing collected would be data and photographs. I know this should go without saying, but there may be somebody new who might otherwise succumb to temptation.

Lawrence
Thanks for taking the lead! I'm excited to be a part of this with everyone. I'll make sure I have my camera and lights ready.

So how about everyone else that mentioned they would be up for meeting. Does Lawrence's idea sound better than just having a picnic or should we have a BBQ picnic anyway?

Lawrence - I would probably be the newbie that would be tempted by the way! :) LOL