Tell Us Who You Are

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnakehaven

Re: Tell Us Who You Are

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I would start posting new strands on the main, AZ Forum, things that you see, and ask questions along with your post. For instance, I saw a gopher snake today. Here's a pic. ....And try not to give the exact locations of herping spots, unless you're talking about your yard or on the corner, something like that. ....And I have a question about kingsnakes ( or whatever). Where are they usually found?

If you look through previous strands you'll get an idea of what posts are usually like here. Folks usually don't do any flipping, like in the Midwest. Sometimes there's a little flipping with winter or spring herping, but not many of us do flipping in southern AZ. If you do be careful and explain to those boys the dangers. Lots of scorps and other venomous under things. AZ has five seasons. You might want to learn the seasons and how they affect herping here. Also, there's some good herp books around.

Good luck and be careful. Always take lots of water in case you get stuck in the desert, or whatever. Protect against the sun too. Sunburn happens a lot.

Terry ;)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I might add, as a hunter-fisher person, you will be required to purchase a hunting and fishing license. Luckily, the hunting license covers all reptiles (except protected sps.) and the fishing license covers any activity with amphibians. I buy a combo license every year which is not too bad for in state folks. Your year starts when you buy the license and you can get one at WalMart on Duval Mine Rd, or in Tucson. Remember too that some amphibians are protected species and can't be interfered with. Know your animals.

BTW, amphibian season is almost over, because the monsoon will end in early September. Get out and see amphibs while they're still active... ;)

TC
smallieslayer

Post by smallieslayer »

I was wondering about the season on the licensure...WI is 3/31-3/31. Was hoping AZ wouldn't be Jan-Jan. Will definitely be getting a combo license, too.
Got Snake?

Post by Got Snake? »

Hey everyone! My name is David and I like long walks in desert washes at night, slow drives on remote roads late into the evening, and difficult hikes into beautiful herp habitats.

I have to be honest, I no longer live in Arizona but consider AZ my second home and will be moving back. I lived up in Prescott for 3 years but have been herping AZ since I was a wee child. I now live in Northern California but usually make several trips to AZ every year and have many friends and family members there so I wanted to introduce myself. Lifelong herper here with a background in wildlife management, zoology, environmental science, and dirt bagging around the desert and mountains.

I operate a herp related business here in N. CA and also work in the Public Health field. While I am a purist and thrive with boots and a topo map, I do keep a few things at home (Hogg Island Boas, W. Hognose, a few Kings, and Oreocryptophis porphyracea coxi). I am a colubrid kinda guy but obsessive about my Crotes.

I don't collect animals, only pics and field notes. I'm not judging responsible and legal collection for the right reasons but that is not MY reason for being out in the field! My herping spots are sacred to me, they are my church, I won't even tell my mother where I am herping (she still herps a little too). Lost many good herp friends due to their need to share my spots with inexperienced and destructive collectors, a shame I tell ya!

Other Interests: Photography, camping, micro brews, rafting, rock hounding, old/rare maps, anything wildlife related, exploring, and learning. I like people that are passionate about what they are into whether its herpetology, ornithology, Ichthyology, entomology, geology or anything else. We all improve each-other, unless you are a complete ass!

On an unrelated side note- my brother decided to have his wedding in GV so I will be extending my visit! I will be in the "Area" from Sept. 12- 20th and will be bouncing around looking for my targets. Who wouldn't take advantage!? If you see a lone-bearded guy with a camera in a rented minivan it will probably be me, or some other guy herping SE AZ alone for a week. I will hate not having my truck! Have fun at the meeting in NM and leave some action for us stragglers! Maybe I will see some of you out there getting your fix!

-David-

Snouted cobra (Naja annulifera) in South Africa. Their musk smells like curry, not a deterrent for me!

Got Snake?

Post by Got Snake? »

Hey everyone! My name is David and I like long walks in desert washes at night, slow drives on remote roads late into the evening, and difficult hikes into beautiful herp habitats.

I have to be honest, I no longer live in Arizona but consider AZ my second home and will be moving back. I lived up in Prescott for 3 years but have been herping AZ since I was a wee child. I now live in Northern California but usually make several trips to AZ every year and have many friends and family members there so I wanted to introduce myself. Lifelong herper here with a background in wildlife management, zoology, environmental science, and dirt bagging around the desert and mountains.

I operate a herp related business here in N. CA and also work in the Public Health field. While I am a purist and thrive with boots and a topo map, I do keep a few things at home (Hogg Island Boas, W. Hognose, a few Kings, and Oreocryptophis porphyracea coxi). I am a colubrid kinda guy but obsessive about my Crotes.

I don't collect animals, only pics and field notes. I'm not judging responsible and legal collection for the right reasons but that is not MY reason for being out in the field! My herping spots are sacred to me, they are my church, I won't even tell my mother where I am herping (she still herps a little too). Lost many good herp friends due to their need to share my spots with inexperienced and destructive collectors, a shame I tell ya!

Other Interests: Photography, camping, micro brews, rafting, rock hounding, old/rare maps, anything wildlife related, exploring, and learning. I like people that are passionate about what they are into whether its herpetology, ornithology, Ichthyology, entomology, geology or anything else. We all improve each-other, unless you are a complete ass!

On an unrelated side note- my brother decided to have his wedding in GV so I will be extending my visit! I will be in the "Area" from Sept. 12- 20th and will be bouncing around looking for my targets. Who wouldn't take advantage!? If you see a lone-bearded guy with a camera in a rented minivan it will probably be me, or some other guy herping SE AZ alone for a week. I will hate not having my truck! Have fun at the meeting in NM and leave some action for us stragglers! Maybe I will see some of you out there getting your fix!

-David-

Snouted cobra (Naja annulifera) in South Africa. Their musk smells like curry, not a deterrent for me!
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hi, David. Welcome aboard. Thanks for the intro and give me a call when your in GV. It's a busy time in September, but we should at least have a little time to chat.

Terry
Got Snake?

Post by Got Snake? »

Thanks Terry, I will be arriving in GV tomorrow but have to attend a wedding before the real adventure gets underway. Not much rain forcasted but I am hoping for some nice afternoon showers in the ranges. I will be based in GV for the first few days then will make my way "East" to visit some of the known areas and try to find some new ones. I will shoot you a message after I recover from the reception!

Happy herping!