Road Cruising Soundtracks

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TimCO

Road Cruising Soundtracks

Post by TimCO »

What are some of the songs that capture the spirit of herping while you're in the car for long stretches?

Some of the ones that get me in the mood -

Highwayman - Johnny Cash

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show

Crazy Game of Poker - OAR

Into the Mystic - Van Morrison

Seminole Wind - John Anderson
Talusman

Re: Road Cruising Soundtracks

Post by Talusman »

Anything by Slayer, Testament, Slipknot, Suicidal Tendencies, S.O.D., Motorhead, Hatebreed and Metallica (up to Master Of Puppets - after that they suck).

:twisted:
Robert E Weaver

Post by Robert E Weaver »

Anything by Slayer, Testament, Slipknot, Suicidal Tendencies, S.O.D., Motorhead, Hatebreed and Metallica (up to Master Of Puppets - after that they suck).
I agree, minus the Slipknot and Hatebreed.......replace them with classic Maiden, Priest, maybe Exodus, Arch Enemy, Kataklysm, Amon Amarth.....etc

Robert
Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter »

I like music while driving from point A to B but when I'm honed in on the pavement looking for herps the soundtrack goes off. I'm terrible at multi-tasking so maybe thats the issue. :crazyeyes:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

We've had these discussions on here before, and my reply still stands:

The entire album "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy" by The Refreshments.

Among others...
KevColubrid

Post by KevColubrid »

For me, Dire Straits, or As I Lay Dying always seem to find their way into my CD player when I'm cruising. Opposite ends of the spectrum, I know, but it works. :D

Kevin
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

Jeremiah_Easter wrote:I like music while driving from point A to B but when I'm honed in on the pavement looking for herps the soundtrack goes off. I'm terrible at multi-tasking so maybe thats the issue. :crazyeyes:

i second this reply. music generally goes off when i'm on the hunt.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

My 10 year old likes classic rock. It's all white noise to me.
If pressed further, Sympathy for the devil is an Ok drivin' tune...
Robert E Weaver

Post by Robert E Weaver »

Gogol Bordello is always good. And the music never goes off!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I agree with a few above. I listen to music during EVERYTHING I do in my life, except roadcruising. I have no idea why. I can't lock into that "zone" with music on. Its funny though... Music helps me get into the zone with other things - cleaning the house, working out, etc.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Yeah, no music for me while roadcruising usually... But my herping songs are as follows:

"The Fox," By nickle creek

"The Lord God Bird" by sufjan stevens

Anything by Dispatch
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Talusman wrote:
Man, I'm out of the loop, I only know one of the bands mentioned above. :|

I'll play a little Bob Dylan but I'm happy to listen to anything for a while, it's a democracy while road cruising.
Hubbs made us listen to some new age Indian (injun here in MT) music, and it was horrible. He kept saying it was his lucky road cruising music, or something like that, but all we saw were a couple of Coluber m.. Maybe he'll come in on this thread & tell us what the name of it was so you all can avoid buying it. :lol:

-Dell
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I'm another one of those who like to roadcruise with the radio off, or very very low to provide a little background noise. I'm not very good at roadcruising and having a radio on lowers my focus on the road even more.

However, if I am with my local herping buddies and we are getting really excited for the potential of a new/significant species we oftentimes listen to Rise Against. Listening to Give It All will make finding even a redback exciting.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Chris Mcmartin wrote:
The entire album "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy" by The Refreshments.
I went in and sampled "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy", and this is a quote from the album review.
"the Refreshments launched their short-lived career as a solid frat boy band, and Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy captures that period." :lol: :lol: :beer:

Not the strongest endorsement I've ever read by itunes, but after sampling the album it sounded pretty good, so I bought it. My wife asked me when I was going to grow up?

-Dell
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Cheeseballs in Cowtown.
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

chris_mcmartin wrote: The entire album "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy" by The Refreshments.
Darn good pick, Chris. Banditos is one of the songs that turned me on to modern music. FFB&B and Live's Throwing Copper and two of my standard traveling CDs.
TimCO wrote:Crazy Game of Poker - OAR
Brings me back to my college days at OSU. The bassist for the band lived down the hall from me freshman year in the dorms. I now wish I stayed in better touch with him.

I guess to answer the question I prefer rock from the late 60's to early 70's and early to mid-90's alternative.

Andy
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

I listen to the likes of A Day To Remember, Parkway Drive, WhiteChapel, Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada. hardcore screamo rock helps me to focus.
BlakeMolone

Post by BlakeMolone »

Hey Josh! I got an a day to remember cd in the car right now and im seeing them in november. Deffinetly good cruising music. I also love to listen to Underoath when im roadcruising.
BlakeMolone

Post by BlakeMolone »

oh and ive seen parkway and the devil wears prada live :)
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Glad Bob Dylan's name came up!

Probably my favorite song would have to be Riders on the Storm by The Doors, especially on a dark night.

I too have not heard of some all these groups! :) Must be my age! :lol:

Gary
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

I always dig these posts. Good call, Tim.

Dell, what's with the lack of Jay Z on your list? I honestly can't remember the last time we went anywhere of distance without Jay Z, Nirvana, and LCD Soundsystem in the rotation, man. I remember Hubbs' music, too. What came after the Enya-meets-Native-flutes music? The Cars first album? Ingrasci and I spent hours listening to the only CD in his rig last Spring... The Ultimate Funk Collection, if memory serves me. I guess if you're stuck with one option, that's probably as good as it's going to get...

Other than that, I'm generally a die-hard Tool nut and the wife generally wants to get the Led out when she's along (major Zep fan...). Anything's game if it suits the mood.

-Cole
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

For road cruising in Florida, you can't go wrong with a good Mofro (JJ Grey) album. Orange Blossoms is especially good.
Mattlesnake King

Post by Mattlesnake King »

Drive-by Truckers.
Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart »

chris_mcmartin wrote:The entire album "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Buzzy" by The Refreshments.

I don't tend to listen to music during the little road cruising I do, but if I did, it would be this, one of my very frequent driving cds.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Amebix, Discharge, Inepsy, Toxic Holocaust, GBH

Cheers to Exodus, Suicidal and Motorhead
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

I listen to music about half the time. It doesn't really matter because all I do is think about what I might see.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I thought about resurecting this thread myself... and then get Alice Cooper to do a snake-cruisen night, (on his show) for all the boa bros next ARC. So... in line with the 'classic rock' format of Alice's show... I woulda asked for stuff like Crawling Kingsnake by the Doors (or the more eclectic version by Elvin Bishop) some George Thorogood, Radar Love by Golden Earring, Dark side of the Moon... you know... the GOOD stuff.. :D jim
BTW... after a GOOD night cruisen... nothing beats E Bishops 'Rollin Home' off his Juke Joint Jump album....Try it... You'll like it... :thumb:
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

When its my choice, CCR and Red Hot Chili Peppers...not similar at all, but I can listen to both bands for hours and not get tired of it. Born on the bayou? Oh yeah! Parallel universe by chilis...Christ I’m a sidewinderrrrrrr, I’m a California King :D
Trustthapo

Post by Trustthapo »

Seconding Gogol Bordello!
I can't really help you on this one; my dad's subscribed to Sirius/XM satellite radio. We end up listening to Punk or Classic Rock most of the time. He tries to subtly change the channel to Metal, but I'm not too keen on it myself, XD
I'll have to take note on some of these suggestions- I've got to say, you guys have great taste in music. ;)
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

I have a very eclectic collection. I do not normally stay up late (in fact, I've "trained" The Kid to answer my question "What's the only reason to stay up late?" with "Looking for snakes"), so when I do my mind is in a slightly different place. Adding unusual music to the up-past-usual-bedtime compounds the effect.

An example of such music would be Ghostland Observatory. 2am listening to this stuff is surreal.

Then again, ChadW has demonstrated to me the virtues of bluegrass in a rental hooptie at 70mph this summer--spotting 8" snakes.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Cruising is all about Barry...
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

monklet, you are sooooooo sick! :lol: Just kidding, I got your humor... Let's see, probably lots of things from the '60's/early '70's. But one song that always popped into my head whenever swinging a leg over the CBR, or at the beginning of a road cruising session, was Born to Be Wild/Steppenwolf. Wow, I know which characters on here are from my era too. :D :thumb:
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Due to severe ADHD, I never listen to music when I cruise. But really, there's only one composition in the history of music that can catch the spirit of road cruising, and keep you awake at the same time:

Ride of the Valkyries.

That, or anything by Johnny Winter :D
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

I'm with you, Hans. There's nothing like a little Johnny Winter, "Highway 61"...much better than Dylan's, although he wrote it.

Seriously though, I rarely listen to music while road cruising. There's usually two or three of us and the conversation is endless. However when I'm along...Dylan, Dire Straits, Alan Jackson, Don Williams...the list could go on and on. It's the mood, man...the mood.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Ok, so I lost all my Manilow stuff, but I still have this (nevermind the graphics, not my thing)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNRS5Yzlj4

...as for cruising though, I go silent. I prefer the banter of insane voices in my head.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

monklet wrote: I prefer the banter of insane voices in my head.
A splendid choice, Sir, if I may say so.
Alex Pepper

Post by Alex Pepper »

Easy question with only one right answer...anything COUNTRY! :)

Definitely have a tendancy to turn down the music whlie in intense cruising mode, but always got have it on.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
monklet wrote: I prefer the banter of insane voices in my head.
A splendid choice, Sir, if I may say so.
Thanks for the affirmation Hans, I knew someone would understand :)
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

[quote]...as for cruising though, I go silent. I prefer the banter of insane voices in my head.

I'm with Hans and Monklet. When solo, the voices keep me busy.

Any votes for that late 80's/early 90's Norwegian death metal we all used to listen to?
Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

I second the Golden Earring choice. it's got the right sound of excitement and anticipation. also Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream (lyrics not to be applied literally)
WSTREPS

Post by WSTREPS »

The only reason I go road cruising is for the music. I have a friend who likes to go out and ride around all night looking for the stuff we see everyday in our yards. I always end up going along.
Any votes for that late 80's/early 90's Norwegian death metal we all used to listen to?

Absolutely!!! I love vintage Mayhem. Varg Vikernes, Euronymous, Dead . Immortal. Emperor. If I go with the heavy stuff I want it authentic, not just some guys who tune down to B and shop at Hot Topic.

I also like anything with Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker most of the stuff from the golden age of guitar playing. As for more current stuff I would rather listen to top 40 pop then most of the newer "rock" bands.

ERNIE EISON
monklet

Post by monklet »

Ya know Hans, I think I'll try the "Ride of the Valkyries" next time....it'll make it seem important :lol:
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Snake-themed:
Metallica "Slither"--opening line: "Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them"---Yeah, no sh**, that's the point! Anything Metallica rocks.
Metallica "Don't tread on me."
Steve Earle "Coppherhead Road"

Other Essentials:

Dire Straits
EAGLES!
Rush
CCR
GNR
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
ACDC
U2

-FH
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I prefer more mellow tunes for road cruising. Robert Earl Keen, Cody Morrow, the Highwaymen, stuff like that.
If I want more energy themed music I'll tune into AFI (through the Black Sails/Art of Drowning albums), some Disturbed, etc. Slayer never did much for me, but sometimes Pantera

and Jimmy Buffet cause playing "Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season" when looking for frogs in the rainn...
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

Here ya go Tim, enough said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OjfMget ... re=related

Bluegrass for me folks. Or something a little more electronic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=misS9k2Mb-A

I love both of those bands. Great music.

Bisco Sauce:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLssYPUifhc

...what trip across the American west would be complete w/o some Dead...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht5grs0ffXQ
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

I'd like to thank the state of Georgia for contributing three of my favorite bands of all time, thanks GA!

Panic- Ain't Life Grand? (yes, if you're a herper on the road life is grand!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_qKSMitgNE

Sector 9- Be Nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4jkejw ... re=related

...and what traveling list would be complete without some Allman Bros?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEC5s3nzVzo
will lattea

Post by will lattea »

I love early Old Crow Medicine Show (anything before Tennessee Pusher) when I finally get on dirt roads in appalachia or in to some good pine on the coastal plain.

Any old delta or chicago blues is great (but I honestly think the Doors' version of Crawlin' Kingsnake on LA woman is the best version of what has to be one of the ultimate herp songs).

The entire white album is always a good choice.

Manu Chao in the south west.

Oh... and I have scientific proof that turtles LOVE High on Fire (anyone who said they like slip knot- check them out.. it's time to start listening to good metal). Blast it at 10am and you won't be able to keep them off the road.

-Will
Mattlesnake King

Post by Mattlesnake King »

will lattea wrote:Oh... and I have scientific proof that turtles LOVE High on Fire (anyone who said they like slip knot- check them out.. it's time to start listening to good metal). Blast it at 10am and you won't be able to keep them off the road.
To say that Slipknot holds a candle to High on Fire is downright embarassing on your part. Slipknot is on par with Insane Clown Posse LOL. Just joshin' ya. To each their own.

High on Fire is amazing and a great cruising soundtrack for sure. I'll be seeing them Saturday night in Athens, GA.

Back on topic: Misfits/Samhain is fun. Tom Waits also rules the road when I'm cruising. Hank III is good to me too. Dave Justice has hard data showing that simus love electric blues. Can't argue with facts.

Matt King
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Last time I cruised with Hefe (J. Teel) he was rocking with some Silver bullet band... gave me hope, that the 'younger generation' knew good music...
Heard some other good suggestion as well... Petty, Beck, ect. Throw in some Pretenders, ELO (Fire on High?) Queen (1st album) Any Neil Young, Early Heart or Fleetwood Mac... and we're good to go... :thumb:
Told this story on localityrosys (so... you Know it's true... :lol: ) the last rosy I cruised this year was late in the season, on a full moon night... so I had picked a road that was mostly in 'moonshadows'... Alice had Just played a song by Cat Stevens, and I was humming 'Moonshadow' to myself when I cruised the rosy in a moonshadow... :shock: :thumb: I TRIPPED! jim