Moderator: Scott Waters

soulsurvivor

Re: Rattlesnake observations 2010

Post by soulsurvivor »

Those white specs are amazing!!
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

This post is completely insane. Completely in sane. Holy crap what a ride!!

Dan
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks again for all the great responses.

Bart I think that shot came out great. Even the sky in the background was exposed well. I usually only shoot +1 and -1 stop and 0. I have not tried going + and -2 yet. Keep playing with the settings on that program. I made the mistake of not playing around enough in the beginning. Lots of cool options.
monklet

Post by monklet »

Brendan wrote:My mistake was backing up and not paying attention to the right side of the vehicle!! I had no idea there was such a big drop off.
Aha, now it makes sense. How the heck did you get out of that mess?

Anyway, can't say much that hasn't been said, but nevertheless, just overwhelming. Even with all your skill and knowledge, I can't believe anyone could see so much awesome stuff and get so many superb pics in one year AND do all the other stuff that life puts in the way. ...and you keep on jumping over your own bar! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

That would explain alot... I bet you check your mirrors more often now!

In case anyone needs it, here is the phone number for a company here in AZ that claims to go anywhere in AZ to pull your ass out of trouble.... Arizona 4x4 Offroad Recovery (602) 697-8306. I've never had the unfortunate need for their services but I keep the number in my cell just in case my shovel and/or Hi lift jack can't help.

Dave
jmcghee

Post by jmcghee »

Incredible pictures! Forgive my ignorance, but what species is this:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Crotalus willardi Ridgenosed Rattlesnake
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Crotalus willardi willardi (Arizona Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake)
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Is this a herping royal flush? Is there ANYTHING that can beat this? Wow dude...just wow.
Brendan, you'll be glad to know, this just makes me want to come back to AZ! :lol:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Mulebrother wrote:Is this a herping royal flush? Is there ANYTHING that can beat this? Wow dude...just wow.
Brendan, you'll be glad to know, this just makes me want to come back to AZ! :lol:
From a personal standpoint I fell short on numbers for certain species like lutosus and concolor but I at least saw one of each to cross it off. I spent much less time up north this year to spend time with specks. I observed them in 25 ranges this year which was a personal best.
Thanks again to everyone for commenting and making it worth time several hours of putting this stuff together.

MB get your butts back out next year!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Brendan

How many miles do you think you put in each year to get all these great sightings? Your gas bill must be enormous!

Dave
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Biker Dave wrote:Brendan

How many miles do you think you put in each year to get all these great sightings? Your gas bill must be enormous!

Dave
I've never bothered to look till you asked. So far this year I have over 3K on my AmEx for gas and that not counting trips that I
use my debit card instead. I would guess between 5-6K a year in gas and vehicle expenses and maybe 50K in travel between my two
vehicles and miles logged in Kenny and Rich's trucks plus a couple other friends I get out with a little less frequently. Not bad eh!?!

This year was a no go on MX but usually we log about 6K miles on that trip. I'll be down there in three weeks visiting the Yucatan and getting married. Simus tzabcan here I come!! I got some great tips from a few guys who have been there before so I have a game plan. (Thanks to those that were willing to offer advice).
jason folt

Post by jason folt »

No I actually enjoyed one of the familiar ugly pink ones in the middle.

Seriously though, some of those others are absolutely screaming.

Jason
Correcamino

Post by Correcamino »

I always crack up at the looks on my mechanics faces when I come in for an oil change, then we go to Mex, and I come back a week later for another oil change and 6-7K logged on the Veh.
carlo bongio

Post by carlo bongio »

Your photos make me want to scream and cry! You sir are a true artist. Im looking forward to your new book. Cheers Carlo.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

jason folt wrote:No I actually enjoyed one of the familiar ugly pink ones in the middle.

Seriously though, some of those others are absolutely screaming.

Jason
Got it! Here he is again a month or two after you saw him.

This poor guy was another local favorite that met his demise from a passing hiker with a large rock. RIP Big Red!!

Last time I saw him alive.

Thanks Carlo glad you enjoyed the photos.
Sam Murray

Post by Sam Murray »

Incredible! Another yearly installation that I greatly look forward to. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to put this together, Brendan.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Lately I just cant afford that many miles and that much gas. This economy is really sucking for me! I'm lucky if I get out once a month anymore. And thats just here locally in the Phoenix Valley area.

Hikers suck.... especially the murderous ones. That was a beautiful Speck.

Dave
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

So what allows you to get out this much? Lot of free time, or is it part of your job?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Sam Murray wrote:Incredible! Another yearly installation that I greatly look forward to. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to put this together, Brendan.
Thanks Sam good to hear from you!

MH,

No I have a full time job M-F so my herping is limited to weekends if I am not spending time with the little lady. I also have TU mornings off so I herp then as well. At certain times of the year I will go out first thing in the morning before work to visit some local snakes. Once you figure out what snakes are doing at certain times of year there is very little time wasted looking around for them.
Buzztail1

Post by Buzztail1 »

Brendan, as always, your work is awe inspiring.
Thanks you for sharing this.
R/
Karl
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Karl.

One from yesterday.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Brendan,
I could look at those images all day. Absolutely incredible. There's no way I could pick a favorite. It's kind of like asking someone which one of their children they love the most. The white specs, the green rock, ANY Ridge-nosed.... You have to understand, I live in NY state (Timbers and Massassaugas), so I admittedly am envious. I've been fortunate to have found some Western rattlers in my travels. My dream is to see a Willardi in the wild before I kick it. Years ago, in 1976 -1978, I was able to occasionally help out Stan Chiras when he operated Rochester Reptile (in the days of paper price lists...Zooherp, The Shed, etc.). Stan had one of the nicest collection of Willards, Grey-bandeds, Gilas...not to mention the nicest Peruvian Red-tailed Boas I've EVER seen. He had Sanzinia, Ringed Pythons and other animals in a little obscure farm house before most people even knew those species existed, St. Lucia Boas, Madagascar Ground Boas...you name it...not to mention LOTS of nice hots including King Cobras, and some of the first albino Crots. and Naja I've ever seen. He had the nicest Amazon Basin ETB's I've ever seen. Sorry for my rambling.
Back to topic. Brandon. Beautiful animals photographed by a talented photographer.
Thanks,
Dave
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Dave. I grew up in Buffalo and lived there for 26 years before I escaped. I feel your pain but timbers are one species i wish we had. I've still never seen one in the wild.
If willardi is something you need to see I'd plan a trip for aug or sept out here. It's not a hard animal to find.

Thanks again!!
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Brendan,
Sad to say, the Timber habitat is disappearing in the upstate area near Rochester and Buffalo. A lot of their demise can be attributed to s select few A-holes who found the dens (through word of mouth by other "herpers"), then proceeded to collect "only a few" specimens. In our area, with that species, all it takes is to collect a gravid female or two from a den to completely destroy the future of that micro-environment. Many of those sites only have a handful of females who breed/give birth every other year or two. Taking even one female from a site can have devastating consequences for the future of that particular population. I'm familiar with some of the culprits involved with the "raping" of the dens. Some are also involved with other illegal, "marginal" activity (surprise, surprise!!), and one other poacher is a nice enough guy in person, who I've met on numerous occasions (before I found out about the Timber poaching). He was arrested @ 2005 after being bitten by one of the Timbers he took from the den site. Apparently, he was showing off for some people when the Timber exacted some revenge. Ironically, my friend/co-worker was assigned to do the investigation after the bite and subsequent criminal charge (we're probation officers - my friend works in investigations, I work in the Criminal Supervision Division). The guy was given a modest fine, and told to refrain from that activity in the future. Pretty lenient punishment if you ask me. It wasn't all that long ago when you could find Timbers all over NYState, including in the Genesee River gorge near Rochester. Now, you have to be trusted by a reputable, honest, caring herper who is lucky enough to be aware of one of the few Western NY dens, to see one in the wild.

Brendan, did you happen to know Henry Cohen when you were in Buffalo?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

DaveR wrote:Brendan,
Sad to say, the Timber habitat is disappearing in the upstate area near Rochester and Buffalo. A lot of their demise can be attributed to s select few A-holes who found the dens (through word of mouth by other "herpers"), then proceeded to collect "only a few" specimens. In our area, with that species, all it takes is to collect a gravid female or two from a den to completely destroy the future of that micro-environment. Many of those sites only have a handful of females who breed/give birth every other year or two. Taking even one female from a site can have devastating consequences for the future of that particular population. I'm familiar with some of the culprits involved with the "raping" of the dens. Some are also involved with other illegal, "marginal" activity (surprise, surprise!!), and one other poacher is a nice enough guy in person, who I've met on numerous occasions (before I found out about the Timber poaching). He was arrested @ 2005 after being bitten by one of the Timbers he took from the den site. Apparently, he was showing off for some people when the Timber exacted some revenge. Ironically, my friend/co-worker was assigned to do the investigation after the bite and subsequent criminal charge (we're probation officers - my friend works in investigations, I work in the Criminal Supervision Division). The guy was given a modest fine, and told to refrain from that activity in the future. Pretty lenient punishment if you ask me. It wasn't all that long ago when you could find Timbers all over NYState, including in the Genesee River gorge near Rochester. Now, you have to be trusted by a reputable, honest, caring herper who is lucky enough to be aware of one of the few Western NY dens, to see one in the wild.

Brendan, did you happen to know Henry Cohen when you were in Buffalo?
It's sad to hear that all the great habitat is not longer used by those animals. I used to visit the gorge as a kid to go fishing and I would hear tales of timbers having lived there at one time but I never saw any rattlesnake in NY state in 26 years of living there.

Don't know Henry Cohen. When I lived in NY I was not much of a field herper. I used to go out and look for milks and garter snakes and that was about it. I didn't start any "real" field herping will I moved to AZ in 2000. Even after living 4 years in GA I never saw a rattlesnake.
David Tobler

Post by David Tobler »

Awesome post! Those might be some of the ugliest oreganus ever... Haha.

I grabbed this picture out of your post... Looks like it could be a smokin hot adult one day.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

David Tobler wrote:Awesome post! Those might be some of the ugliest oreganus ever... Haha.

I grabbed this picture out of your post... Looks like it could be a smokin hot adult one day.
Dave those oreganus were a welcome site for me. Thanks for giving me the tour under less than favorable conditions. I guess 13 Z's makes up for the lack of good looking O's.

I'm sure that baby will be hot. The local adults were incredible. Mom was about a foot away from that baby (assuming it was mom) in the grass. Didn't make for a great photo but I didn't want to disturb her.

These two were pretty easy on the eyes as well. Didn't know there were two for several minutes.

And this one was pretty drop dead as well. Too bad they love to be buried in the grass.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Glorious post. Like others, I really enjoy the relaxed feel and natural aesthetic of your photos. Thanks for sharing.

-Cole
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Cole. I try my best to capture everything "insitu" if possible. In some cases I will wrangle a snake and pose it if it's on the move when I find it but I always prefer the undisturbed shots. It took me a long time to evolve to that point though. To this day I still have to restrain my first instincts to capture stuff. I'm getting better at it though. LOL
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

Brendan...

I may have missed the Q&A somewhere, if asked, but what's up with the snake in your avatar? I saw it in the pic bunch, but don't recall (looked at the first page when this was first posted) any other angles on it's head. Also curious with the AH-64 on the ground; CBP uses UH-60s and a few other helos.

Great series!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

ChrisNM wrote:Brendan...

I may have missed the Q&A somewhere, if asked, but what's up with the snake in your avatar? I saw it in the pic bunch, but don't recall (looked at the first page when this was first posted) any other angles on it's head. Also curious with the AH-64 on the ground; CBP uses UH-60s and a few other helos.

Great series!
Chris,

Yeah that's an oddball tiger. It's left eye is melanistic (pretty sure genetically and not an injury) and it's tongue is pink. I have seen that snake 6-7 times in an area and I have a bunch of different shots of it if there is a different angle you want to see?? This is actually the third animal in a small area with this same genetic trait. The other two snakes have the pink tongues but the left eye melanism is not as pronounced. This is one of them.
Here is another with a pink tongue but normal eyes.
And one more with an all pink tongue. The male has the pink and his woman has a normal tongue.
Not really sure what's going on with that. I was hoping one of the female would be gravid this year but no luck.

As for the AH I was driving east of Phx and saw it touch down so I pulled over to take a couple quick shots. Not sure what they were up to.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

That AH could have been a test chopper out of the Boeing Helo plant in N Mesa.... its not marked for anything military or BP that I can tell. Also the white toyota isnt military or other government issue (at least from visual inspection).

Dave
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Biker Dave wrote:That AH could have been a test chopper out of the Boeing Helo plant in N Mesa.... its not marked for anything military or BP that I can tell. Also the white toyota isnt military or other government issue (at least from visual inspection).

Dave
I think that ugly white rig is a Dodge!
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

I can say this much, that Apache is a "Longbow" I just don't know if it's Block I or II, or whatever they are naming the things. There is an orange tail stripe and what appears to be some blocked tail insignia by the tech and tail rotor.

Brendan, I was just curious on what is a neat looking avatar/snake. I was just hoping for a dead-on angled shot of the eye. Pretty neat about the tongue coloration as well.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

r.edwards

Post by r.edwards »

awesome stuff...pics and herps were very nice.....AZ in 2011 has been booked

r.edwards
Terry Basey

Post by Terry Basey »

Wow Brendan...I finally got around to taking a look at your post. I am astounded by the numbers of animals you found and the quality of the photos. I don't get many photos like that with my point and shoot! I guess I missed some of the photos that seem to be deleted after the green rat snake...those bat photos are great.

I'm wondering how you managed to get the truck out of that mess. I had a similar one in Mexico but with one wheel and I got lucky to get out of it myself. Thank goodness for compound low and 4x4!

If you haven't already done it, I have a project for you: find and photograph mitchelli in the Ivanpahs and the Clarks to the north. To the north after that, they should be stephensi (Kingston range area) and I'd like to see the transition from the mitchelli that I have seen on the north side of the New York Mts.
Terry Basey

Post by Terry Basey »

Brendan...cancel what I said about the "deleted photos"...it just took a really long time for them to download apparently, as I went back and could see them.

I really like the two particularly light cinctums after the toad photo.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Robert. What time of year are you guys coming out??

Terry I'll see what I can do about finding specks in those ranges. Rich and I will be making a 10 day den run in spring and maybe along the way we can knock out a few specks.
Honestly these shots represent about 10% of the rattlesnakes I actually photographed. I have photos of about 150 more specks and at least a few hundred other species. I know this group can only take so many crote shots before they start yawning.
I saw a few more gilas you'd probably like as well but I didn't want to overload the board with too much if my crap. Just a light sprinkle of animals pretty much kept it from being mundane.
Thanks for checking it out!!!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Brendan

Why not start a thread of individual species and other information relative to that particular species. That would not only be educational, but also could show the diversity of the crotes in AZ? [A speck thread, a mitchelli thread, a molossus thread etc] Not only that, but it would lend
toward what this organization is about....

Dave
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dave,

I honestly don't think that most of the users on this board really care enough about crotes for me to take the time to put that much effort into a bunch of threads. I know there are a bunch of rattlesnake junkies here but for the most part I think general year end summaries work best in this venue.
Hopefully one day we expand and have a crote specific board so the lamprodorks don't have to suffer. LOL
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Well if I can get Hubbs to balance your crotes with his lampro's would you do it?

Dave
ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM »

Brendan, you and I, plus a few others knew there use to be such a forum, but I've yet to e-mail the individual regarding it. Kind of bummed honestly as I miss yours and a few other's postings on rattlers. From a sitting on the fence view, I'm hoping 2011 allows me to knock off my last NM crote (cerb) and last NM lampro (pyro) in 1 trip. Hopefully that's not wishful thinking.

That tigris is just neat to me from a genetics standpoint.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Dave,
Maybe this winter when things calm down. Just got married yesterday and leaving for the yucatan next Wednesday for 10 days. Unfortunately there is only one crote in that part of Mexico and a few other cool vipers but I'll be working on knocking those out. All the other stuff should keep me busy as well.

Chris,

Maybe I'll have to meet up with you guys for that outing. I need to see a NM cerb too!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

ChrisNM wrote:Brendan, you and I, plus a few others knew there use to be such a forum, but I've yet to e-mail the individual regarding it. Kind of bummed honestly as I miss yours and a few other's postings on rattlers.
It's alive and kicking. Just email him.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Had to make a new acct since the forum's last crash.

Bravo Brendan. Love all the shots but especially the mitchelli. I may have seen some of your blue "pets" this year. Keep up the great work! Inspiring
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Astro. Let's see some shots of the kids.
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

Like I said on facebook, this is the most enjoyable (US) Crote post that I've ever seen on any forum, way to go Brendan. You must spend a TON of time in the field down there. Congratulation on getting married!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Chad I appreciate it on both accounts. I guess I do spend a fair amount of time in the field but then again I know guys who pretty much spend 9 months straight in the field (Lynum). LOL
I'm not sure I would be able to be away that much but 4-5 months of straight herping would be fun to try. Not sure it's going to happen in this lifetime unless I start playing the lottery. Even then the new "ball and chain" might not dig it too much.
Will W should be dropping a kick a$$ thread on us soon I hope. I know he's seen some cool stuff this year.

Here are a few more cool shots which some of the speck junkies might enjoy.