Info request-Southern California octopi

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

Info request-Southern California octopi

Post by Porter »

I’ve got a friend down in Southern California who is interested in where and what kind octopus you can find down around Southern California beaches. I don’t want her to get bit by a venomous or dangerous one.

I remember a guy posting a picture of a little octopus on his face that was found down near San Diego I think… Years ago. Which ones are safe to pick up? Which ones are common? Onlything I know about octopus in Northern California is that you can find them near Dillons beach (I could be wrong about that info) in the fall…. any info is appreciated! Thank you
gheaton98

Re: Info request-Southern California octopi

Post by gheaton98 »

I've seen a few at Malibu Lagoon state beach, which is just generally a great tidepool location for LA county. On one occasion I found one half-buried (but very alive) in a shallow pool, and another was flushed out from under a rock when I walked by. These both would have been lesser two-spot octopus. I didn't try to pick up either of them.
Porter

Post by Porter »

gheaton98 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 6:42 pm I've seen a few at Malibu Lagoon state beach, which is just generally a great tidepool location for LA county. On one occasion I found one half-buried (but very alive) in a shallow pool, and another was flushed out from under a rock when I walked by. These both would have been lesser two-spot octopus. I didn't try to pick up either of them.
Thanks for the response! She’s down by Crystal Cove. Have you heard of anyone finding them around there by chance? The two-spot octopus seems to be the most common from what I could figure out through googling. Do you ever get pacific reds down there or are they only seen up north? She’s very hands-on when it comes to finding insects and the like, like most of us. Have you heard of any stories of the lesser two-spot octopus biting anyone?
gheaton98

Post by gheaton98 »

I don't know anything about bites or if they're safe to handle unfortunately, but I've never heard of anyone being hurt by an octopus in southern California. I double checked and I've seen a dead pacific red caught in sea anemones up in SLO county, but that's a bit far north. I'm sure there are twin-spots at least in orange county tidepools, though. Like a lot of tidepool creatures, they won't necessarily be easily found. Last winter I was trying nudibranch/tidepool photography and it took me many low tides to find the species I've now seen, which is how I ended up seeing those twin-spots.
doccod

Post by doccod »

California Two Spotted Octopus. I caught many when I lived in San Diego at the tide pools in La Jollla. Never got bit or heard of anyone getting bit. I actually had one in a 130 gallon aquarium for almost a year. I released him back in the spot I caught him in. Very intelligent creatures.
Porter

Post by Porter »

🍻 Thanks for the info :thumb: I’ll send this over to her. As far as what time of year, is it true that you usually only find them after the big storms wash them into The tide pools, or can they be found year round? Also, am I remembering that incorrectly… Do they utilize tide pools for hunting or are they just stranded there temporary during the fall months ?
gheaton98

Post by gheaton98 »

So I have no idea about the natural history of octopuses, but in case it helps: I would imagine it would be easier in the winter because that's when the big low tides are during the day. That would of course also be when the storms are. As for my finds, the two I've seen at Malibu lagoon were last October and this March, if that helps.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Thanks guys! :thumb: I appreciate the feedback :beer: It’s pretty amazing how everything seems to fall under that same pattern of seasons, even the sea creatures. I do remember that the tides and storm weather were factors that Made the fall months most ideal for the octopi up here in the north. It sounds like spring and fall our productive equally down south.
Porter

Post by Porter »

If she finds one I’ll ask her if it’s OK to post it

To be continued…