bio-fluorescent rattlesnake

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jr9999

bio-fluorescent rattlesnake

Post by jr9999 »

A week ago, I was out at an abandon mine in central Nevada, looking for fluorescent minerals, and happened to spot a bio-fluorescent rattlesnake. I shot photos (below), and when I got home, I searched Google to see how common that was. I found several references to rattlesnake rattles that bio-fluoresced, but nothing about the entire snake fluorescing. As you can see, this entire snake is fluorescing.
The tail. The rattle is fluorescing noticeably brighter than the rest.
The pointy end, also fluorescing.
Here he is in normal lighting. I would guess he's about 4 ft, (1.25m) long.

Sorry about the poor quality of the photos. It's hard enough to take a photo with a cell phone using just one hand. It gets harder when you're trying to hold and aim a UV light in the other, while balancing on a steep rocky slope, at night, in the dark, while simultaneously not pissing off a rattlesnake. BTW: my main concern wasn't being bit, it was that the snake would get annoyed, and disappear down a hole before I could shoot the photos.

Is this news? Have any of you seen this before? I'm an amateur geologist, not a herpetologist so this is way out of my normal field. I know that bio-fluorescence is a hot topic of research right now, but mostly in the marine environment, and mostly non-invertebrates. On land, the best bio-fluorescence I know of is scorpions.

-James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeevng

Re: bio-fluorescent rattlesnake

Post by zeevng »

Really interesting stuff, James!
I don't have much to add myself, but hopefully someone will chime in soon. I personally haven't heard of a fully biofluorescent rattlesnake before, but that isn't saying much.

Cool shots, and thanks for posting! :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Nick Hess Posted a black light (I think) shot of a species of salamander… I think it was a salamander, that was glowing beneath the blacklight. I told him he should try shining down on kingsnakes, because of the fluorescent coloring I’ve seen on a few individuals in the northern central valley area. I was wondering if they glow at all. When I was down south earlier this year, I wanted to shine my blacklight on a desert phase CA Kingsnake if I were to find one. Because they are the only true black and white kingsnakes (Hubbs). I was wondering what the white looks like underneath a black light. I was so damn tired and in a dream state when I found a little Kingsnake that I forgot to shine the black light on it lol I’m sure Nick has shined the blacklight on several herps since then, you might want to send him a PM maybe he can add to the post.

Awesome pictures! :beer: and discovery. I would love to see some video of this…
Paul Freed

Post by Paul Freed »

In the most recent issue of Herpetological Review (volume 52, number 2, pp 221-237), there is an interesting article that touches on the same topic. ['Glow and Behold: Biofluorescence and New Insights on the tails of Pitvipers (Viperidae: Crotalinae) and Other Snakes']. The article illustrates numerous species of vipers, as well as, colubrids, elapids, and even caterpillars and some plants. Lots of great photos and info on the subject.
-Paul
jr9999

Post by jr9999 »

Porter wrote: August 24th, 2021, 2:45 pm Nick Hess Posted a black light (I think) shot of a species of salamander… I think it was a salamander, that was glowing beneath the blacklight. I told him he should try shining down on kingsnakes, because of the fluorescent coloring I’ve seen on a few individuals in the northern central valley area. I was wondering if they glow at all. When I was down south earlier this year, I wanted to shine my blacklight on a desert phase CA Kingsnake if I were to find one. Because they are the only true black and white kingsnakes (Hubbs). I was wondering what the white looks like underneath a black light. I was so damn tired and in a dream state when I found a little Kingsnake that I forgot to shine the black light on it lol I’m sure Nick has shined the blacklight on several herps since then, you might want to send him a PM maybe he can add to the post.

Awesome pictures! :beer: and discovery. I would love to see some video of this…
In my experience, there is no correlation between color in visible light, and fluorescence color, (man-made pigments excluded). As I recall, nearly every animal or mineral that I've seen fluoresce was a not too far from grey-tan-white in color when viewed in normal light.

I did shoot some video of the snake, but it isn't any clearer than the photos, and I don't have a convenient way of posting it, (it won't attach below).

By the way, it has been identified as a Great Basin Rattlesnake.
gheaton98

Post by gheaton98 »

Awesome find, and a beautiful snake in either lighting. I've seen great basin rattlesnakes in Utah as a kid but still need to get photos of one myself.