The Snake in the Monkey Cup – A Greenhorn Naturalist in Borneo

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

The Snake in the Monkey Cup – A Greenhorn Naturalist in Borneo

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Howdy all,

I'm finally done with my Borneo memories and am looking for a publisher. The Snake in the Monkey Cup – A Greenhorn Naturalist in Borneo documents our family's eight years of encounters with nature in the rainforests of Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. As some of you might remember, I have lived in Taiwan since 1989. In 2007, a greenhouse with 350 carnivorous tropical pitcher plants of the genus Nepenthes sat on top of my garage (website here). In August that year I attended the first international conference on this type of plants - The 2007 Nepenthes Summit - in Kuching, Sarawak's capital. The organizers showed us wild Nepenthes in the rainforest, which triggered my decision to move to Borneo so I could live among these wonderful creatures. Our life in Borneo turned out to be about much more than carnivorous plants. The Snake in the Monkey Cup chronicles our adventures with the island's enormous biodiversity - flying frogs, exotic birds, gliding lizards, pangolins, venomous primates, king cobras, orangutans, and much more. It is kept in a humorous style, think Gerald Durrell or Bill Bryson.
(For a reading sample, please see this FHF post)

Unlike my last publication, a playful/educational treatment of my herping life in Taiwan, The Snake in the Monkey Cup is not just about reptiles, but about the whole Borneo experience, and of broader interest for the general public. I believe that this might make it interesting for a traditional publisher, especially since I see a market for it with travelers and eco-tourists interested in Southeast Asia. To tap into this market, the book needs to be in local bookstores, hotel gift shops etc.
I also plan to donate a percentage of my own proceedings to an eco-charity active in Borneo.

Would any of you know of a publisher with potential interest in this? (Self-publication is out for a variety of reasons)

Thank you very much in advance for your kind thoughts!

Cheers from sunny Formosa!

Hans
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Re: The Snake in the Monkey Cup – A Greenhorn Naturalist in Borneo

Post by Scott Waters »

Good stuff. I’m sending you an email regarding publishing.

Thanks,
Scott
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Hi Hans, hope you'll find a publisher!! I'll certainly buy the book. Best wishes, Johan
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Hi everyone,

after sending out 105 queries, receiving 65 rejections, and hearing nothing from most of the rest (not counting "we would love to take you on, but, you know, Covid") for six months, the book ws finally picked up by an enthusiastic publisher:

"We love it! I read most of the manuscript and my sales manager colleague also read some and we agree it is a thoroughly enjoyable read. It is entertaining and amusing, informative, interesting, and has a point to make. And what helps greatly - it is well-written ... We would be delighted to work with you on this project."

I'll let you know when it's done!

Cheers, and thank you all again for your continuous moral support over the years it took to get here!

Hans
Porter

Post by Porter »

Hans, is this going to be available in audiobook format?
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Very good question - let me ask!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote: November 27th, 2021, 6:42 pm Very good question - let me ask!
Cool :thumb: I have 0 - No time to read these days. I would have to listen to it while driving at work.