Southern California in late March.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jwebb120

Southern California in late March.

Post by jwebb120 »

Hey! My name is Jonah and I am new to the forum. I have been reading posts for years but this is my first personal post. Herping is my biggest passion and I started to take it super seriously last year and I hope to make this up-and-coming season a great one. I am headed down to southern California next week and will be splitting my time between the San Diego area and the Palm Springs/Borrego springs area. This trip will be completely dedicated to herping and I will be happy to find anything and everything but my target species include kings, rosy’s, ringnecks, southern pacific’s, specs, red diamonds, and sidewinders (among others). All species which I have never seen before. Temperatures look good, low 70’s in San Diego and low 80’s in the palm desert area. I have never had the opportunity to herp in California so I was wondering if anyone has had luck finding the species that I have listed around this time of year. Also, I know it’s still a little early in the year for road cruising but would it be worth at least giving it a shot? (Nighttime temps in the desert areas will be around the mid 50’s) Thank you very much!

-Jonah
Jimi

Re: Southern California in late March.

Post by Jimi »

Also, I know it’s still a little early in the year for road cruising but would it be worth at least giving it a shot? (Nighttime temps in the desert areas will be around the mid 50’s)
Sure it's worth making a few passes in the low elevations. Winders are crazy cold tolerant, and you will probably see some glossies too. Give it an hour or two, and see what you see.

good hunting!
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Any luck?
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

They breeze in, they take what they can get, and mostly you never hear from them again. Sigh / meh.

How you doin'?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm surprised I expected anything different coming around this way
Porter

Post by Porter »

Perhaps yes, too busy sharing his finds to the Bookface is he... :roll: