South Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

stlouisdude

South Florida

Post by stlouisdude »

Going to be in South Florida for a few days starting Dec 10th. Any good suggestions for animal encounters down there both herps and otherwise? I know there's lots of places one can visit so trying to come up with a few viable choices that I can work in over 3-4 days.
BillMcGighan

Re: South Florida

Post by BillMcGighan »

Do you have any specific areas of South Florida (SW, SE, Central, extreme south, keys, etc.) or any specific target species?
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

Hi Bill,

I'll be in Miami but I have a car. Not really any target species I don't suppose. Just figured I'd hit a list of interesting sites while I'm there. Curious if anyone has any favorite activities/places/tours for both wild and captive animals in the area. I'm living in the Northeast right now, so even a few loose alien species is quite exciting for me.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

even a few loose alien species is quite exciting for me.
SE Florida = nothing but alien species.
Just being out of the hotel you will most likely see Brown Anoles, Peters's Rock Agama (Agama picticauda), Brown Basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus) especially around canals, Northern Curly-tailed Lizard (mostly) (Leiocephalus carinatus), etc.

- At night around most hotels, several species of Indo-geckos and Cuban Tree frogs, Tropical House Gecko (Hemidactylus mabouia) being most common now (which invasive is most common at the moment can change periodically dependant of which new one eats whom!) :lol: :lol:

PM sent for outside the city.
kingsnake70

Post by kingsnake70 »

Hey folks. My name is John Schneider. I am new to South Florida and like in Fort Lauderdale. I could use some input as to where some good places to explore are. My target species are snakes. I am also looking to meet some other like minded people familiar with the area.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

this is a fun group

http://www.calusaherp.org/
kingsnake70

Post by kingsnake70 »

Thank you for the info Bryan. Anything on the east coast I’m in Fort Lauderdale just outside of Hollywood, maybe a mile or so north.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

kingsnakeman

You won't have to try very hard to find wildlife in S.Florida. I could hardly believe the amount of animals everywhere from birds to alligators to lizards. Since you're living down there might consider something like snorkeling with the sharks too. The only thing I didn't like was the juice stand on the way into the everglades. Way too many people and the smoothie was pretty plain. There were some agamas there but you can see them other places, including an alligator farm about a mile away had a lot more there in the parking lot before you pay to go in and an alligator in the ditch.