Can someone ID this snake?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

rockstarr

Can someone ID this snake?

Post by rockstarr »

I found this snake Feb, 9th, 2020 in Needville, Texas. It had a Ribbon snake next to it. The stripes look similar to the Ribbon snake, but I have not seen a red Ribbon snake before, or a Ribbon snake with red eyes. I also don't see the identifiable white spot in front of the eye that a Ribbon snake has. Is this some form of Garter?

Google search doesn't help either. Thank you.

Jeff

Re: Can someone ID this snake?

Post by Jeff »

It's a Texas Brown Snake, Storeria dekayi texana. I've seen a few with the red ground color, though they are usually tan or beige.

Jeff
rockstarr

Post by rockstarr »

Jeff wrote: February 11th, 2020, 6:46 am It's a Texas Brown Snake, Storeria dekayi texana. I've seen a few with the red ground color, though they are usually tan or beige.

Jeff
Thank you. I sometimes find Texas Brown Snakes in my backyard when cleaning the leaves out of the flower beds. I didn't know they came in colors other than brown with black spots. I appreciate the help. :thumb:

Any idea why it was hanging out with a Ribbon Snake?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

A happenstance of environmental favor would be first, second would be further investigation of feminine pheromone, if one animal finished defecating and extruded some glandular material and the other was a male. Its early in the year but a guy could be curious.
rockstarr

Post by rockstarr »

Kelly Mc wrote: February 11th, 2020, 5:01 pm A happenstance of environmental favor would be first, second would be further investigation of feminine pheromone, if one animal finished defecating and extruded some glandular material and the other was a male. Its early in the year but a guy could be curious.
Thank you.