Yearly winter report from NW Oregon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Richard F. Hoyer

Yearly winter report from NW Oregon

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Friday and Saturday in the Willamette Valley of northwestern Oregon had high temperatures of about 57 – 58 degrees. Both days had some partial sunshine along with some scattered showers. It was a few degree cooler today but again with some partial sunshine. I thus went out early this afternoon to see if my primary target species, the Rubber Boa, was available under cover objects.

I first traveled to my former Common Sharp-tailed Snake study site near Airlie in southern Polk Co. Observed one young adult female Contia tenuis and two juveniles. I then traveling to near Kings Valley, Oregon and came across one adult male boa. I observed two more adult male boas at a different site on my way back to Corvallis.

I have searched for the species during the months of Jan. and / or Feb. staring in Feb., 1971. So by finding these boas today, it makes 50 consecutive years that I have found the species during one or both months.

Richard F. Hoyer (Corvallis, Oregon)
mark buck

Re: Yearly winter report from NW Oregon

Post by mark buck »

Glad to hear you've been having some success up there Richard, thanks for sharing.
And congrats on hitting 50 consecutive years... I love your dedication!

John Lauermann and I turned up a few Rosy Boas (aka the wrong boa LOL) earlier this week down in Southern Calif.
Temperatures were much higher during our searches though, 70-73 degrees...

In response to your post from last Nov/Dec.... I heard about your trips down to California's central coast and it sounds like you rounded up a lot of useful information. Hopefully our schedules align this spring and I can help in making searches, last year I relocated to Kern County so the central coast is now a short drive away. Sounds like we need to set up some AC out there!

-Mark
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Mark,
During my four trips to Monterey and San Luis Obispo Counties last year, I did find a few spots with some A/C. In Monterey County, I observed a S. All. Lizard under a tin. I got permission to make searches under some tarp materials and observed a gopher snake and garter snake. At a different spot, I turned a small board and found a garter snake eating a fence lizard. In San Luis Obispo Co., I came across a Common Kingsnake under some back plastic along San Simeon Road. The use of A/C could greatly enhance the chances of encountering the boa and other species as well.

My current plans are to travel to Monterey and northwestern San Luis Obispo Counties in March when the weather conditions appear to be suitable. Should you be free some time (weekend?) in March, perhaps we could meet in Morro Bay. A second trip to that area of Calif. might also materialize in April as well.

Richard FH
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Richard,

What kind of Garter snakes were you turning up?

Also I sent you an email regarding your trip down here in March.

-Mark