Rattlesnake Trying to Eat a Rodent

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

OkanaganSFLT

Rattlesnake Trying to Eat a Rodent

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

Hi all,

I've posted a short version of this video before but just finished going through all my footage and decided to make a longer edit. If anyone is interested in seeing this bit of natural behavior, here it is.

A small (yearling) Northern Pacific Rattlesnake desperately tries to consume a rodent that is probably too big for it. I got pretty lucky to see this out in the wild one day in southern British Columbia.

Kelly Mc

Re: Rattlesnake Trying to Eat a Rodent

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its not too big, he just needs some shade & privacy.
Porter

Post by Porter »

I remember seeing this earlier this year and commenting on it… :beer: Excellent footage! It really looks like that meat bee is taking some bites of the snake there... Makes me wonder if that’s accidental or if the bee’s trying to get the snake to free up a meal for the kids...
OkanaganSFLT

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

Its not too big, he just needs some shade & privacy.
Funny as when I started watching he was out in the sun but eventually dragged it into the shade of where I was crouched over. I stayed very very still and I'm sure he just thought of me as a part of the landscape at that point. He did drag it into a bush after going beneath my leg and I left once he was far enough away that I wouldn't spook him off his meal by standing up. Hoping he got it down!
I remember seeing this earlier this year and commenting on it… :beer: Excellent footage! It really looks like that meat bee is taking some bites of the snake there... Makes me wonder if that’s accidental or if the bee’s trying to get the snake to free up a meal for the kids...
Yeah that wasp was definitely an annoyance! Poor snake.