My scariest experience while herping caught on video

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mikephoto

My scariest experience while herping caught on video

Post by mikephoto »

It just goes to show that people can be far more unpredictable than animals.
AEthelred

Re: My scariest experience while herping caught on video

Post by AEthelred »

Where's the video,I don't see a link.
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

Whoops
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

You are too nice, that guy would have got mouth from me, which would have included "mind your own business." Furthermore, if this is a state park or reserve, what is he doing picking up wildlife, not to mention chucking them over hillsides. If this is your scariest experience so far, they can be a lot worse. Unless posted, there is no need to stay on trails.
Porter

Post by Porter »

He would’ve gotten a lot more than a mouthful for me… Maybe a mouthful a fist. There’s no way I could sit there and watch some guy grab an animal and kill it right in front of me. No way. There’s only two things that have ever forced me to initiate a fight in my life… Abuse towards women (or family) and abuse towards animals. you should’ve got them on video! I probably would’ve filmed him doing it, drop the camera, then broke his jaw. (Insert Hands shrugging emoji)

Was he with other people? I’m not trying to inspire violent aggression. I’m just simply saying I probably wouldn’t be able to control it. So please don’t take my words as me saying that you should act in violence ( speaking to readers of the post, not speaking to the author). But if somebody came up to me and got evolved like that… First off not just bothering me and not minding their own business, But the pure disrespect of purposely disrupting what I’m doing, but going as far as killing an animal in the process. No way. No way in hell could I let that go
Porter

Post by Porter »

OK, I got a second look at this video now… So this is the guy in the profile picture on the wanted file. How did you get a picture of him? He posed for a selfie and then chucked it over the side of a mountain? That’s weird…

I’ve had some pretty strange encounters and situations. I bought my dad a computer chair late at night at Walmart for either Christmas or his birthday… surprise present which I put together that he woke up too. oh, wait I think it was Father’s Day. Definitely not Christmas Eve. It was About a year ago. And there was a car smashed into the side wall of the freeway offramp. About three in the morning and no one was around. Someone was rolling in the street disoriented. I drove past then stopped in the middle of the road and looked in my rearview mirror. It was just one person, the driver. He was getting off of the ground and staggering around .so I slowly started backing up to him… He walked up to the driver side window, Opened my door, pointed his finger like a gun in my face, and started making sounds with his mouth like he was shooting bullets at me… :lol: i’m laughing now, but I have to admit it was psychotically terrifying. He kept saying give me the car I need the car… So I was like OK man just chill out let me put in park... I had the car in reverse. So I reached down and put it in drive and Floored it. It about ripped the guys arm off as he tried to hold on to the door as I drove away. Then he fell down in the street and began rolling around again. Straight edge clean-cut All-American buff college kid

Anyways, I just wanted to point out I don’t think you handled the situation wrong. We’re all faced with situations to learn from. It builds our character and helps us grow. I was just trying to imagine myself in that situation. However I don’t think that is something I would ever encounter because of type of vibe I give off.

I know there aren’t many God believing religious people on here… At least I don’t think there are. But I’m a spiritual person and I’m very open minded. Neville Goodard is something I was listening to recently. He’s got some interesting lectures on YouTube. I think sometimes the scariest situations we encounter, we create in our own imaginations…
Porter

Post by Porter »

Wait wait wait wait… OK I’m completely freaking confused :lol: Are you the kid talking in the video or the older guy talking in the video?

Because I’m imagining some older sophisticated Herper guy videoing this snake and some punk kid coming up and bullying him… Are you the kid in the This video?!
Porter

Post by Porter »

OK wow… You’re the kid. :lol: :lol: :lol: Holy mind duck Batman. :crazyeyes:

. So you put your own photo on the file… I guess that’s like a missing kids report you’re trying to add at the beginning there. I thought it was a criminal wanted poster lol..... That the guy throwing the snake off the hill was the criminal. But you’re saying that you’re the criminal and he’s regulating you…Ok So you encountered a guy who has voices talking in his head lmao wow hahah what a trip. I completely saw that flipped around… But I can tell the older guys voice is further away from the camera now. That’s hilarious. I think I still would’ve tried to punch the guy :lol: :lol: :lol: ...idk, maybe I would’ve asked him if he knows where to score some good acid Lmao
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

I was taking the video. The guy in the photo in the crime file was the dude wearing camo that was stalking me up the trail. He posted the selfie of himself holding a snake at a nature preserve.
Not sure why he was so angry or why he took his aggressions out on the snake but I was seriously concerned that my equipment might get damaged so I chose to leave and report the incident rather than confront the individual.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Fieldnotes wrote: January 18th, 2020, 12:16 pm You are too nice, that guy would have got mouth from me, which would have included "mind your own business." Furthermore, if this is a state park or reserve, what is he doing picking up wildlife, not to mention chucking them over hillsides. If this is your scariest experience so far, they can be a lot worse. Unless posted, there is no need to stay on trails.
Yeah, I was expecting a lot worse until I heard the guy's voice on the video. He's being a dumbass but it's not something to get shook over.

I was gonna link the post when I shared about the paranoid schizophrenic who stalked me through the woods shouting that he was going to kill me but apparently that was before the crash because I can't seem to find it. There's also my teammates who got shot at multiple times four years ago but I'll let them share that story when they're ready. Or to bring it away from people, that mama leopard with her cubs that I ran into from 25 feet away in 2016.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I think its awareness provoking to be reminded that 50% of the population has to overtly or unconsciously factor in the risk of danger, bodily harm and even being killed, as an every day potential, especially alone, walking at night etc.

Just to take a walk in the middle of the night, say to get a battery for the beeping smoke alarm, or a bottle of milk, is something that isnt done with complete impunity, and if something does happen, well, what were you doing out at that time, or place etc, alone?
Porter

Post by Porter »

mikephoto wrote: January 19th, 2020, 3:03 am I was taking the video. The guy in the photo in the crime file was the dude wearing camo that was stalking me up the trail. He posted the selfie of himself holding a snake at a nature preserve.
Not sure why he was so angry or why he took his aggressions out on the snake but I was seriously concerned that my equipment might get damaged so I chose to leave and report the incident rather than confront the individual.
OK, so he is the one who says “I’ve been asked to tell you to stay on the trail “right?

Yeah, very confusing to me. I don’t know if anyone else experience that but, I Perceived this totally flipped around…The guy in the photo doesn’t seem to match the voice. I get a visual image of the zodiac killer type when I hear his voice…lol bald glasses over weight. Ect... but not even that at first,. There’s a guy who just recently posted a video on here who was herping in Singapore I think… Or someplace like that? Maybe Japan I can’t remember now. But he just posted a video recently and the guy in your video somewhat matches his voice. So I thought you were the older guy lol In fact I thought this was another video from that same guy who sounds like he’s in his mid-50s

It sounds more like a jealousy attack to me now. If he has his photo displayed at the place where you’re out photographing snakes, Sounds like he’s trying to retain some kind of fame title. Pretty crazy and hypocritical. The way he says “I’ve been asked to tell you to stay off the trail “sounds like a lie or maybe even a religious hallucination… I’m used to running into some really crazy weirdos though lol so surprisingly enough, that seemed the more likely situation

All the crazy aside… Great angle you had on that snake footage :beer: Nice and clean too. Color looks great :thumb: in situ is the way to go
-porter
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

When a person says "Someone asked me to tell..etc"

It is a sure sign of weakness in ones own words having the ability to stand on their own.

The same weakness that lends to crude and cruel behavior towards animals.
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

I believe this person suffers from the God complex—a psychological fantasy when someone perceives themselves as superior in every way to everyone else, and social rules don't apply to them.
That in itself isn't terrible unless it is mixed with violent tendencies. When that happens, things get pretty serious.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Whatever his personality disorder is, he deserves consequences for the way he treated that snake.

The way he treated the snake actually does classify as violence.

I'm glad you made this video. You could have went after him worse, but it doesn't matter.

His cats out of the bag.
Porter

Post by Porter »

mikephoto wrote: January 20th, 2020, 3:36 am I believe this person suffers from the God complex—a psychological fantasy when someone perceives themselves as superior in every way to everyone else, and social rules don't apply to them.
That in itself isn't terrible unless it is mixed with violent tendencies. When that happens, things get pretty serious.
Same here. Just the sound of the voice led onto that for me. However, I think jealousy is playing a larger role here. Not necessarily God or the belief in God. There’s people who are religious that don’t get crazy about it. Unfortunately, through social media‘s and in regards to serpents, we just happen to encounter the ones who get crazy about it because they’re the ones who are more aggressive and prejudice towards people non-religious.

But yeah, jealousy seems to be the driving force here. This guy he’s obviously OK with catching snakes if he’s got a picture posted of him holding one. It seems like a territorial pissing to me. Not all people in our hobby care about the well-being of the animal. Everyone has their own opinion as to what they think abuse is and where comes into play. This guy obviously doesn’t care about throwing a snake over a hill or whatever it was.But he definitely had a problem with you filming it…

I remember within the first couple years of getting involved with the forum, I posted something stating that I was going to check out the buttes for a longnose snake. I posted it before heading out there the following weekend or something like that. When I got there, there were the word spray-painted on the road “Keep out, it’s mine! ““… Laying next to the spray-painted words was a mutilated goat or sheep laying on a blanket. If anyone is familiar with the buttes, there’s only one road that half circles the buttes for cruising. I find it hard to believe that these were Christians that did this. They definitely believe in something… It was pretty mentally sick and freaky. Especially because I had no intentions of taking any snakes from there. But it was most likely from someone who is a collector or uses that area for breeding. At least that’s how I saw it. I was getting a lot of pressure from collectors and breeders because I was openly talking against it at the time. A lot of those people had already decided they didn’t like me.. So shit was getting crazy Lol

I experienced a lot of jealousy in the beginning. And when you go on Facebook, One of the most common things you read from filled Herper people is “I am so jelly “ or “ I’m so jealous right now “ when someone posts a hard to find snake like a mountain king snake or maybe a leg less lizard. That’s an aspect I wish would mature and go away but it’s probably gonna be like that for a while… it’s always seemed really crazy to me, since I come from a skateboarding background. Where if you’re filming a friend land a super hard trick, you’re trying your hardest to get a good angle and good footage of it. It’s an accomplishment between two people. And other people within the neighborhood, if you hear somebody did this or somebody did that… You’re like aww sick! I remember dudes finding out I noseslid the big 7 triple set, and I was getting compliments from people I didn’t even know. There was no jealousy. They were like damn that’s cool.

But yeah...It’s just a brewing evil of nonsense and makes me sick lol so anyways my point is… I think Jealousy is the core of the action. Religion is more just the excuse for the action. But yeah, I definitely identify the words with that crazy religious creepiness

. People should just focus on moral integrity. It’s easy to know right from wrong if you just stop and think about it
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

I didn't mean god in any religious sense. I think you nailed it, I stepped on his turf (despite the fact that it's public land).
It really had nothing to do with me being on or off the trail, he didn't want me photographing one of "his" snakes.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Ahhhh... Gotcha. Yeah I was thinking more literal, like John Doe from se7en complex Lol ...wasn’t familiar with the mental disorder.

...Annnnd, Just because I know how reading text through social media’s and lack of tone goes with influencing and misguiding the imagination of some readers minds... I want to make clear that when I said, “if somebody did that to me a prolly break his jaw” ....that’s more of just a way of me saying that if someone approached me like that, we’re thrown down lol as I’m adding this movie clip, and watching it after years of not seeing it… The part where John Doe says, “I seem to remember breaking your face” I can already see how people are going to swing this into me being the psychopath :lol: Sooooooo... I want to point out very clearly and honestly… The only two times I have ever initiated a fight in my life, was when my mothers ex-con boyfriend had my little brother by the hair (A guy who outweighed me by at least 80 pounds and had hands twice the width of mine and arms the size of my legs) and when a friend was threatening to beat his wife in the parking lot outside of a bar for talking to another guy. Only two times Ever 8-) And if karma/positive energy wasn’t on my side, I would’ve lost both of those fights. Guaranteed…

mark buck

Post by mark buck »

LOL