Any herp trips in March? Central America?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Paul Prior

Any herp trips in March? Central America?

Post by Paul Prior »

Just wondering whether anyone on the forum knows of any herp trip opportunities for a herping novice. I’ve made plenty of birding trips to Central and South America but would love to hook up with a herp guide to learn more about herps in the tropics.
Thanks for any leads or contacts anyone can suggest.
Paul
Paul Prior

Re: Any herp trips in March? Central America?

Post by Paul Prior »

Not seeing any response to this enquiry so just in case there’s any confusion, I should say that I’m not expecting this to be a freebie!
Thanks
Paul
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

So, the way you pose this, a guy trying to respond helpfully could fixate on destination, timing, or activity. I'm gonna fixate on timing.

I've never done any herping (just played normal tourist) in South America - it's probably different closer to the equator. But in Central America as I know it (herper and normal tourist), March is well into the annual dry season. My guess is, the herping could suck then. While rain can be a little unpleasant, and can play hell with logistics, it gets the herps out. I'd say wait for June or July, and just be prepared to sweat balls and swat bugs.

My New World recommendations for (DIY, or tag-along) March herping would be more like, lemme see...South Texas, southern California, the southern Appalachians, the Pacific Northwest, and the lower Southeastern coastal plain. Maybe the Ozarks or Ouachitas.
  • Which one, among these very different choices, depends on if you prefer scales, or slime, or a crack at either.
  • A few could offer good birding at the same time - something to chew on.
  • And finally, among these regions, the SE USA would probably best offer some chance at mitigation-by-relocation, if the weather bit you in the ass. In this regard, Georgia would be my top vote - plan first for the coastal plain (include some sea islands, along with mainland sites), but if you get a nasty cold front, implement your contingency plan and bag the lowcountry to head way upstate for salamanders.
There may be domestic herp outfitters. I've never looked.

Hope this gives you something to think about. Maybe someone else will offer their thoughts. Good luck, man.
Paul Prior

Post by Paul Prior »

Many of thanks for your wise words, Jimi. Castles made of sand .... I’ve decided to go snorkeling instead! But I’ll definitely consider tropical herping later in the year if the opportunity arises.
Paul
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

There you go - pick the right activity for the season. Rainy-season snorkeling sucks - often, you just can't see. Dry season is where it's at, for snorkeling.

Have fun, good luck!