Arizona herps & stuff

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Sky Islander

Arizona herps & stuff

Post by Sky Islander »

Greetings once again Fieldherpers! Some sights from Arizona (mostly) are included below. In keeping with the taciturn nature of the forum I have kept discussion to a minimum, but please ask if a species is unfamiliar and I will probably be able to help.

We hiked upon this bear while birding and he was disconcertingly unafraid.

Not funny. OK barely funny.

I crawled on my stomach to this hognose skunk expecting it would spray me in the face but it barely have any reaction when the flash went off and soon went back to foraging less than a meter from my face for a long time.

Chao!
Goose
Cushen

Re: Arizona herps & stuff

Post by Cushen »

These are some awesome pics, pal! I'm going down to AZ in May for the first time. Really hoping I can cross plenty of Crotalus off my list.
Sky Islander

Post by Sky Islander »

Gracias Cushen! Much of Arizona is dry an hot in May, but I bet you will find plenty of rattlesnakes anyway. I am no qualified to give herping advice but I suggest siestas during the heat of the day so you will be fresh for late night cruising and early morning hiking. Good luck!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Nice photos :thumb: I like that shot of the tree
frog with the red arrow pointing to it. There’s an illusion happening there because of the size of the rocks that makes it look like the size of a chuck. Also the belly shot of the rattlesnake. You don’t get to see stuff like that often (bellies of snakes).
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Awesome :thumb:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Yeah, wow, nice pics. I like the pinkish belly on that NM klaub (people get bit like that though. Don't push your luck.) And the little skunk was super-cute. Skunks are almost always charming little weirdos.
We hiked upon this bear while birding and he was disconcertingly unafraid.
They're such individuals. Most haul ass but some just look back at you. I think mostly it depends on life experience, but there's probably some genetic component to it as well. Like fearless vs cautious little kids - what comes outta mom, is just what comes outta mom. I recall one truly enormous Santa Ritas bear snuffling around my truck once when I got back from quite a herp-hike. That thing had to have been hounded at least once in its life. He sure didn't think much of me though.
Much of Arizona is dry an hot in May
True enough Cushen, but one option that won't be is above the Rim. Also, there's the Strip. Finally, you've got the middle and higher elevations in the Mojave. Add them up, there's about half the state. Plenty of great AZ herrping outside the Madrean zone. Think about it...

As for SE AZ in May - been there done that (a couple of times) - I ain't goin' back. Not in May.

cheers
Sky Islander

Post by Sky Islander »

I'm glad you like some of the photos Porter, Ross, and Jimi. Thank you for your nice replies.
people get bit like that though. Don't push your luck.
Thank you especially for this message of safety Jimi. I would not want people to think we touch venomous snakes with bare hands. My husband always wears welding gloves if he handles a small rattlesnake. He never have problems so far. As for me - I am too afraid to handle them even with gloves. :oops:
Goose