Herping North Madagascar part 3 of 3

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

g3ck0

Herping North Madagascar part 3 of 3

Post by g3ck0 »

Hi Guys

Last but not least. Although one could argue if this should be called north Madagascar. This is the part where I spent most of my time.
I was particularly eager to see Uroplatus phantasticus. I know that the best place to see it is Ranomafana but at the time that was not a very safe place to go herping at night just outside the park (since inside is not allowed).

Because I had the very best of the reptile guides who used helpers we managed to find this Uroplatus after quite a few days. And of course a lot of other beauties.

I skipped all the birds, spiders, strange insects and mammal pictures since only the reptiles is a lot.

This is the part of Andasibe:

https://links.flickr.com/u/click?_t=40a ... bqXdzfs%3D

Enjoy. Again if you have ID's I would be very grateful. I think I know all the Chameleons and most of the Frogs and Uroplatusses but any opinion is appreciated.

Gecko
Frankvanbalken

Re: Herping North Madagascar part 3 of 3

Post by Frankvanbalken »

Hi gecko

Thanks for the pictures. I'm really jealous. Madagascar is a dream holiday for me. I didn't expect you would find so many leaf tailed gecko's. There so beautiful. And of course the cameleons.
I can't help you with the identification but others maybe can.
Did you plan your own trip or join an organized tour? I sometimes hear Madagascar can be hard to travel.

Thanks for sharing

Frank
g3ck0

Post by g3ck0 »

Hi Frank

I am starting to add a few names so I can hopefully get some replies on ID's.

Yes Mad is a wonderful place. If you go there your first Uroplatuses will be found by the sometimes excellent guides but you may find some by yourself. Day or night. In some areas they seem quite numerous.
This trip was set up with the help of a local agent who could contact the best guides particularly for herping.

If you go there you could contact this guy to set up your tour:
https://mer-madagascar.com/

Our trip was customized after some research in the internet.

The first trip I made all over Mad in 2003 was completely on the fly which is perfectly possible and a lot cheaper. Even then when I focussed on birds and mammals I was amazed about how many interesting reptiles I found.
Public transport can get you to all the sites but the Masoala Peninsula is expensive to get to since it involves flying and very expensive boatride. You may find details about how to get there on a budget if you search for reports from independent birders.

https://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport ... added_desc

The policy in Mad NP's is that no one is allowed to enter without a guide. This policy has created a huge boost to the eagernes to find and show tourists the special features. Some guides are amazingly good in spotting and have learned exactly where to look for.

If you need more information you can contact me.

Gecko
Frankvanbalken

Post by Frankvanbalken »

Hi Gecko

Thanks for the information. That is very helpfull.. I will look into it.
I always try to organize my own trip. I looks like a good idea to combine this with trips with local guides. Good to hear that they are very good in finding al sorts of animals . The summer holiday is already booked but maybe in 2021 madagascar is an option.

Thanks again
DylanMcDiarmid

Post by DylanMcDiarmid »

Hi Gecko,

It's a shame your 3 incredible Madagascar posts didn't get more love. I feel like they deserve a bump. So many awesome photos of awesome animals. I had no idea Madagascar had such a rich diversity of herps.
Thanks for sharing 💪🏻
g3ck0

Post by g3ck0 »

Hi Dylan

Thanks for the support. I was surprised myself getting no replies on any post.
Also no replies on questions or requests. I guess it is a tight community here of insiders who only respond to one another if they know each other. I see you are from the US. I have a friend in Chicago area but he is only into birds.
I intend to visit the US for a long trip for reptiles and other beautiful things later when Trump is no longer head of state.
If you need more information on Madagascar just let me know. Right now I have a trip lined up to South and West Australia in November when hopefully the Covid 19 virus is no more an issue. If you have any tips I would really appreciate it.

Gecko
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Those chameleons and Uroplatus are so cool! Some of the frogs are amazing as well!
DylanMcDiarmid

Post by DylanMcDiarmid »

g3ck0 wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 2:15 am Hi Dylan

Thanks for the support. I was surprised myself getting no replies on any post.
Also no replies on questions or requests. I guess it is a tight community here of insiders who only respond to one another if they know each other. I see you are from the US. I have a friend in Chicago area but he is only into birds.
I intend to visit the US for a long trip for reptiles and other beautiful things later when Trump is no longer head of state.
If you need more information on Madagascar just let me know. Right now I have a trip lined up to South and West Australia in November when hopefully the Covid 19 virus is no more an issue. If you have any tips I would really appreciate it.

Gecko
Hey Gecko,

This is just my personal speculation, but I feel like activity on this forum has diminished drastically. There are a few regular contributors, but IMO, very little activity. So I think that's the biggest contributor to the lack of support for your posts. That and I'm not sure how many people have any herping experience in Madagascar. Perhaps that's a contributor as well.

But, again, your content is incredible. I really enjoyed browsing through your photos, and learning a little about herps in Madagascar. You captured a bunch of awesome shots 💪🏻

Unfortunately, the little knowledge/success I have had is limited to southern California and Arizona, so I'm not able to provide tips for Australia. However, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, I will likely be willing to offer some leads/resources.
g3ck0

Post by g3ck0 »

Thanks again!

If you ever will make it to Madagascar you can let me know I could help you prepare your trip.
I most certainly will go to the US for reptiles in the future. Thanks for the offer!
I am from Holland. We have 3 species of snakes and 4 species of lizzards a couple of frogs and amfibians.
Not at all like the US so I could hardly be of use if you make it to Holland. The snakes are not easy here.
One is very rare and I found only one once. The other 2 snakes are more easy if you know were and when to look.

Gecko