Northern Rubber Boa Elevations

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

RenoBart

Northern Rubber Boa Elevations

Post by RenoBart »

Hey folks, I am curious as to the lowest elevation boas have been found in California, particularly in the Western foothills of the Sierra. As I live now on the other side of the hill in California, I am making a list of all snake species I should be able to find within a 3-5 miles radius of my home. Right now I am at 9 species, with the 10th being possibly the Northern Rubber Boa. That said, I think 800' is too low, despite conditions nearby that would seemingly house boas. So I am curious as to how low folks have found these snakes in the Sierra foothills on the west side of the range...

Thanks.
Jimi

Re: Northern Rubber Boa Elevations

Post by Jimi »

Hi Bart,

Sorry I can't help directly with your question - I've only found them near the coast and on the east side of the Sierra. I really didn't herp the west slope too much when I lived there - all those nasty trees! Ha ha ha.

But the reason I write is to suggest cold air drainage might be a factor helping boas get pretty low in certain areas. I see that phenom working with lots of plants and animals. Anyway - good luck! Get some AC out there and check it early!

cheers
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Last spring while hunting Zonata in the central Sierra my dad turned up a Rubber at roughly 3,600'...

I thought this seemed kinda low, but then again I am no expert on the range. There's others on this forum that could give you a much better answer...
I would imagine they exist at lower elevations the further north you travel in the Sierras, and vice versa heading south.
Riparian corridors can bring montane species pretty far down the western slopes, but I agree with your assumption that 800' is probably way too low...
Porter

Post by Porter »

Found my lifer on the western Sierra side at 3650 back either in the summer of 1990 or 91. I returned to the same area at least 10 to 15 times over the last 10 years and never saw another... there are still Zonata in Placerville, so I would assume it’s possible to find one there. Also they can be found around Lake Berryessa, but probably in the higher elevations...Not sure what those foothills top out at

You should try to track down the horn lizards in that area! A good place to start would be Somerset...
:beer:
Richard F. Hoyer

Post by Richard F. Hoyer »

Dr. Glenn Stewart contacted me the other day asking about the lowest elevation I have observed the Rubber Boa in the Sierras. I have done very little searching in the main Sierras. The lowest elevation I have found the species has been a mile north of Burney at near 3200 ft. But Glenn indicated that was still considered part of the Cascade Range being north of Mt. Lassen.

I then contacted Robert Hansen and below was his response which I then passed on to Dr. Stewart.

"The lowest elevation record for western slope Sierra Nevada is 1475 ft (450 m) for Mokelumne Hill, Calaveras Co., based on CAS 5095 (specimen lost in earthquake/fire of 1906)"

Richard F. Hoyer
RenoBart

Post by RenoBart »

Very interesting, Mokelumne Hill is just south of me, about 20 minutes or so. 1475 is definitely pretty low! Thanks for this info!