Help with some reptiles from Indonesia

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jurek

Help with some reptiles from Indonesia

Post by Jurek »

Hello,
Who can help me identify some reptiles I saw in Indonesia?
This snake was flushed in upland rainforest of Waigeo island, Raja Ampat. The agamid lizard was on Halmahera, Moluccas. These two lizards (a skink? and a gecko) lived in houses in Nimbokrang, New Guinea. The grass-green snake with paler belly was seen at night near Labuan Bajo, Flores, Indonesia. With my basic knowledge of reptiles, it looked like a Trimeresurus sp.
15a.jpg
21a.jpg
10a.jpg
12a.jpg
1a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jurek

Re: Help with some reptiles from Indonesia

Post by Jurek »

These two turtles lived as sad captives in a restraurant on central Flores. 1-3 is one individual, 4-5 a second.
3a.jpg
4a.jpg
5a.jpg
6a.jpg
7a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jurek

Post by Jurek »

And finally, a question about monitor lizards. I saw monitor lizards on several islands, and wonder what they were. The best way to answer may be by location - I understand there is only one or few Varanus sp. at any island, but I don't have access to any source what is where.

1: Muara Angke, Jakarta, Java: several big monitor lizards in suburban mangroves.
2: Waigeo, Raja Ampat: several large (50-120 cm) gound-living monitor lizards, grey with small yellow dots, on tail looking more like bands. In inland rainforest.
3. Sorong, Vogelkop peninsula, New Guinea: large monitor lizard, visually the same species as Waigeo. In inland lowland rainforest.
4. Halmahera, Moluccas: smallish monitor lizard ca 90 cm, on a tree in a lowland mangrove patch. Mid-grey to bluish color.

Who can put a name?
best,
J.
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

I can't be 100% sure but I suspect the first snake (Waigeo) is a Dendrelaphis lineolatus. All the best, dendrelaphis
Jurek

Post by Jurek »

Thanks, Dendrelaphis. I got better photos from a friend. Does it look right now?
1smyku.jpg
smyku2.jpg
smyku3.jpg
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The gracile little green agamid on the leaves is a Bronchocela cristatella, female.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Skink might be Lamprolepis smaragdina.
Jurek

Post by Jurek »

Thanks, Kelly and Jeroen! Any ideas about the gecko and the turtle?
Is there a series of species lists of reptiles of different countries and islands of the Indonesian region? (besides Wikipedia).
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Well, the picture is better indeed but it's still hard to be 100% sure. The back of the depicted snake is more extensively black than in those specimens I have seen. I'm still pretty sure though (let's say 99%). However, I would need some morphological data to be absolutely certain….
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Ill take a stab at the turtles. The first I feel pretty good about calling Cuora amboinensis. The second is a guess with Cyclemys sp. Any more pics of that one? Captive turtles can be difficult because they could be from anywhere in the world and often show abnormal growth.
Jurek

Post by Jurek »

Thanks! I have one more picture of a turtle, but I am unsure which individual it is. I saw these two in a small roadside restaurant, and I think they were caught locally on Flores. As you see, somebody kept them literally in the toilet drain.
turtle5.jpg
Re: Kelly MC.: Bronchocela cristatella is said not to occur as far east as Maluku and Halmahera. Maybe a related species? Or is this one commonly introduced?
Kfen

Post by Kfen »

Nothing from that other pic leads me away from Cyclemys, so Im sticking with it. There are several Cyclemys species that are VERY similar in appearance, and Im not totally up on their individual ranges, so I wont venture a guess as to which species it may be.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I based my ID on my own intimate visual exposure of a cristatella in my charge for many years.

I still think that's what your girl on the leaves is, but can't answer your questions about range or introduction.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

100% sure its cristatella, actually.