What snakes have you seen on your property?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Taylor Henry

What snakes have you seen on your property?

Post by Taylor Henry »

I consider myself extremely lucky to live where I live. I've seen an abundance of snakes on my property and some even right outside my door! Sometimes it can be frustrating when you spend a good amount of time and gas to go road cruising or hiking and get skunked, just to find one right on your walk way the next day, but I definitely can't complain...

Here's some of what i've seen over the years:

This baby gopher was found today right outside my front door.

An adult found in my backyard on new years day of 09

This one was one of 3 I found back in 2003 that were in the bushes around the perimeter of my house.

Another gopher snake found under a board that had been sitting in my backyard.

A banded king that was found on the crawl in my backyard.

A baby banded that was on my front walkway

It doesn't get much more right outside your front door than this...

Then in the past year or two i've started seeing coachwhips under the boards my backyard. Heres a few:

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone else has found on their property.

Taylor Henry
Ryan Sikola

Re: What snakes have you seen on your property?

Post by Ryan Sikola »

SHOW OFF! :cry:
Taylor Henry

Post by Taylor Henry »

Ryan Sikola wrote:SHOW OFF! :cry:
I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come off that way...

And the title says snakes, but i'm curious about herps in general.
Ryan Sikola

Post by Ryan Sikola »

Just messing with you, SD gopher snakes are my fav and those cal-kings are awesome. The crying is cause I've been trying to get a coachwhip or some racer all year and have only found DOR.
monklet

Post by monklet »

My mix is pretty similar, gopher, calking, striped racer and a tantilla that the cat left at the front door...it also bagged a legless lizard and a few shrews as well as all the usual stuff. ...btw, the wretched feline is not mine and I take no responsibility for it or it's action.
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

Let me know when your house is up for sale..... :thumb:
Natalie McNear

Post by Natalie McNear »

Snakes in general are very rare around my house because it's surrounded by forest. I've found a few Sharp-tailed Snakes and two Ringnecks after living here over a decade. :|
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I see the occassional gopher and coach and lots of lizards... nights, sb's, desert spinys, whips, and hl's.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Cool stuff. That striper right outside your door must have been a surprise. Most people seem to find helleri in their yards, or at least those ones always make the news.
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Cool post Taylor. Although I haven't lived in your neighborhood very long, we have also been seeing some stuff. So far it has been mainly helleri and night snakes, and the occassional gopher
Taylor Henry

Post by Taylor Henry »

Ryan Sikola wrote:The crying is cause I've been trying to get a coachwhip or some racer all year and have only found DOR.
Yeah I know how that is. I've seen far too many that way...
monklet wrote:My mix is pretty similar, gopher, calking, striped racer and a tantilla that the cat left at the front door...it also bagged a legless lizard and a few shrews as well as all the usual stuff. ...btw, the wretched feline is not mine and I take no responsibility for it or it's action.
That a good variety, especially the tantilla and legless. Too bad about the cat though.
MarcLinsalata wrote:Let me know when your house is up for sale..... :thumb:

:lol: will do :thumb:
hellihooks wrote:I see the occassional gopher and coach and lots of lizards... nights, sb's, desert spinys, whips, and hl's.
Thats cool. Are nights, spinys, hl fairly common where you live? I've seen a couple of whiptails, side botched, and plenty of fences at my place, but you have an awesome variety of lizards.
Ross Padilla wrote:Cool stuff. That striper right outside your door must have been a surprise. Most people seem to find helleri in their yards, or at least those ones always make the news.
You have no idea... I just about died. The helleri haven't been showing up as often as they used to in my yard, but we did get that one in our neighbors yard the other day.
Jeff Lemm wrote: Cool post Taylor. Although I haven't lived in your neighborhood very long, we have also been seeing some stuff. So far it has been mainly helleri and night snakes, and the occassional gopher

Thanks. Thats really pretty good. There isn't very much habitat behind your house either, is there?
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Just a small strip of CSS
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

This is funny. I was just reading this post when my next door neighbor came over concerned out about a snake in her backyard. I walked next door with my snake hook because it's usually a ruber, but I found a little gopher instead. I did not have my camera with me and just let it go on the other side of my fence, which is just wild land. What timing.

This is what usually comes into my backyard. This was a few months back.

Harold of the Rocks

Post by Harold of the Rocks »

I Found a pacific Gopher in my driveway last October.
But that is it in the 3 years i have had in this house.
Im pretty sure i live on the wrong end of CA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eimon

Post by Eimon »

Ah, home herping. Brings back bittersweet memories. At my current residence we have a colony of Utas out front with a smattering of Skellys. Seen a couple of Alligator lizards also. Never expected to see any snakes here, but a hatchling King found it's way into the house this spring. Very cool. Now..........at my old house down here where I lived for many years, it was a true herp mecca. So don't get too bummed by the list. Pretty much anything that could be found....was. A few inside as well.

Calif Kingsnake (Banded & Striped)
San Diego Gophersnake
Coastal Rosy Boa
Calif Whipsnake
Coastal Patch Nosed
San Diego Ringneck Snake
2 Striped Garter
Lyre Snake
Night Snake
So Pacific Rattlesnake
Red Diamond Rattlesnake

Western Fence Lizard
Side Blotched Lizard
Southern Alligator Lizard
Coastal Whiptail Lizard
Orange Throated Whiptail Lizard
Western Skink
Gilbert's Skink
Coastal Horned Lizard

Pacific Tree Frog
Western Toad
Spadefoot Toad
Bull Frog

Garden Slender Salamander
Aboreal Salamander

This Lyre was behind the refrigerator.

Two herps for the price of one. Didn't know they ate these.

How's this for close. Stayed there for over an hour.

Taylor Henry

Post by Taylor Henry »

:shock: That is an incredible list. Seems like it would be a bummer to move away from all that...
shatty

Post by shatty »

Ive seen many Legless Lizards in my yard over the years. I could probably find them most of the year if I looked more. Billboard flips the boards and carpet in my backyard every time he is over and almost always digs up a couple.
Ryan
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Growing up in San Pablo, occasionally would find Ring-necked Snakes in back yard.
California Slender Salamander, Pacific Treefrogs, and Western Toads were common.

Within a quarter mile, could also find Gopher Snakes, Western Yellow-bellied Racers, Sharp-tailed Snakes, Rubber Boas (I never did near my home but others did), Coast Range Garter Snakes, Western Fence Lizards, Southern Alligator Lizards.

When I moved to Pinole, California Kingsnakes, Norpacs, and Western Pond Turtles could be added to that list (near house, none in yard).

Now that I live in Redding, at my house - Pacific Treefrogs, Sharp-tailed Snakes, California Kingsnakes, Western Fence, Southern Alligator, Western Skink. Near my house you can add a bunch more I've found.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

shatty wrote:Ive seen many Legless Lizards in my yard over the years. I could probably find them most of the year if I looked more. Billboard flips the boards and carpet in my backyard every time he is over and almost always digs up a couple.
Ryan
Where my parents currently live (East Contra Costa) - within a mile in a certain direction the ground starts to become sandy, I suspect I'll find one while visiting sooner or later. There is known habitat protected population fairly near there, so I suspect I will have luck in the areas I am thinking of. I have not put a lot of effort into searching for them though.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Wow to Eimon, that is amazing diversity, were you living in a refuge? I have a few herps at my home, including side blotch and tree utas, big desert spiny lizards, "yumensis" type cal kings, a few long nosed and within 100 yards, Sonoran gopher snakes and W. diamondbacks. Oh yes, as often as not as I walk around the tortoise pens at night, I will see a banded gecko or two or three...and a lot of giant desert hairy scorpions.

It is all perspective, to us these are a big bonus, and yet others would probaby call an "exterminator"...

I am happy to have some wildlife at the house, and I sometimes make rock piles etc. to enhance the lizard habitat.

Vic
Lystrophis

Post by Lystrophis »

Hmmm.... over the years i have seen 1 california racer, approx 8 helleri, 2 gophers, and 2 zonatas.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Lystrophis wrote:Hmmm.... over the years i have seen 1 california racer, approx 8 helleri, 2 gophers, and 2 zonatas.
You're so spoiled man... I have been looking to see my first Zonata for a while now.... I know my skills aren't great YET. But come on man, you have them coming to you! Maybe instead of flipping & cruising... I should take a tent over to your house and wait. :lol:
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

You guys are very lucky. I'm lucky because my backyard borders a forever wild area that contains a lot of animals - but few herps. I've had 23 wild turkeys (adults anf yearlings) and 12 white-tailed deer standing out there at the same time one morning. We get an occasional fox and I recently saw the largest coyote I've ever seen. No exageration, this animal was the size of a large german shepherd. Other neighbors have seen it as well. When I saw it, I was running and I got within 50 feet of it (I started to get a little nervous because of its failure to run away). It slowly sauntered away while giving me the "evil eye." Someone insisted it was a wolf. Pretty impressive critters...but no her,ps. We also live right near some large ponds/wetlands bordering Lake Ontario., so we are lucky to be on the path that many bird species (including MANY raptor species) take in their north/south travels. As far as herps, i'm almost embarassed to give my backyard list: eastern garter snake, Dekays snake (aka brown snake), toads, and an occasional painted turtle or snapper during late spring.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I've never found any snakes in my yard, but plenty of Salamanders. Here are a few of the regulars. On occasion there are a few transients like the Pacific Giants and some Alligator Lizards. There are some snakes in the neighborhood, but not many, mostly Ringnecks. The Habitat is Coastal Redwoods. Pictured are the California Newt, Slender Salamander and the Yellow-eyed Ensatina.

Lawrence
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

I no longer live in CA, but I hope you don't mind me throwing in a story.
Occasionally I see wandering garters around the outside of my house here in Utah.
Like this one: http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=44194

Then, this spring I had this captive CA king escape, which I then recaptured 5 days later.
Shortly after being recaptured, he regurged a wandering garter that he had apparently found and eaten during his 5 days on the lam.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I don't have much where I live, I used to see the occasional Fence Lizard and Alligator Lizard but within a couple years of the shopping center being built on the (formerly) empty lot behind my house, I haven't even seen those.
However, I do also have a 5.5 acre lot in the Davis Mtns., TX. The lot is in a large POA(Property owners Association) that borders the Davis Mtns. State Park so I could basicly see anything you could see in the park. So far I have seen:
Mottled Rock Rattlesnake
Mojave Rattlesnake
Mountain Patch-Nosed Snake(DOR's)
Striped Whipsnake(Or some kind of striped Racer/Whipsnake thingy, I can't remember off the top of my head and my Texas field guide is not handy)
Nightsnake
Great Plains Skink
RLewisH

Post by RLewisH »

DaveR wrote:You guys are very lucky. I'm lucky because my backyard borders a forever wild area that contains a lot of animals - but few herps. I've had 23 wild turkeys (adults anf yearlings) and 12 white-tailed deer standing out there at the same time one morning. We get an occasional fox and I recently saw the largest coyote I've ever seen. No exageration, this animal was the size of a large german shepherd. Other neighbors have seen it as well. When I saw it, I was running and I got within 50 feet of it (I started to get a little nervous because of its failure to run away). It slowly sauntered away while giving me the "evil eye." Someone insisted it was a wolf. Pretty impressive critters...but no her,ps. We also live right near some large ponds/wetlands bordering Lake Ontario., so we are lucky to be on the path that many bird species (including MANY raptor species) take in their north/south travels. As far as herps, i'm almost embarassed to give my backyard list: eastern garter snake, Dekays snake (aka brown snake), toads, and an occasional painted turtle or snapper during late spring.
\

Eastern coyotes are awesome

I've seen nothing :|

I live in an association smack dab in the middle of the business district in Carlsbad :(