Going on a herping trip to FL on the 25th , where to go ??

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Veal

Going on a herping trip to FL on the 25th , where to go ??

Post by Zach Veal »

Hey guys its Zach Veal ( ALsnakehunter) for some who remember. I have been absent for sometime. Im finally back and ive decided to take a week long herping trip to FL. First off, I do not want any Roads, tin spots, honey holes or anything lol Just would like to know which off the following would you florida boys recomend this time of the year. Blackwater State park, Ocala national forest or Apalachicola. Im leaning more towards Ocala then anything. Apalachicola is a great place, but ive been there many times and have found just about everything you can find and photograph besides a king, and im not sure if its worth even going there for. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks alot guys and take care.
Nick

Re: Going on a herping trip to FL on the 25th , where to go

Post by Nick »

Well, of those you mentioned, Ocala is going to be the least productive. It is very dry habitat. The only thing it has over the others are indigo snakes, which are going to be very unlikely this time of year. If you're going to be herping north-central Florida, I'd recommend going west of Ocala toward the coast. There are some good State Forests and Wildlife Management Areas out that way, plus there is plenty of good habitat outside of any state managed land.
Zach Veal

Post by Zach Veal »

Alright, well what if its rainy and how about night cruising. I know a couple who goes there every fourth of july and has found corals at night, eastern diamondbacks and southern hogs early in the morning.. This is going to be a tough decision haha. any more ideas ?? thanks, Zach
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, rainy weather is pretty worthless for hunting snakes. With heavy rain, sand hill areas especially will almost completely shut down.

Night cruising in any xeric scrub or sandhill habitat is going to be unproductive. You may have the chance for a coral, but you really aren't going to see much. Cruising in flatwoods, swamp, or other mesic habitats is going to be a lot more productive, and in the right areas corals are still going to be common.

Eastern diamondbacks are fairly abundant in pine flatwoods in the area I mentioned to the west, though you would have better luck cruising for them in the late afternoon than in the morning. Southern hognose snakes are not well known from Ocala National Forest these days. I would suspect your friends were finding Eastern Hognose. Southern hogs are in fair abundance on the ridge that runs through western Marion County (and adjacent counties), and can be found by roadcruising in the morning. Coral snakes are pretty common on the ridge, and west toward the coast in the Gulf Hammock.

If you're looking into other areas, you may want to try the Osceola National Forest, or the Okeefenokee Swamp.
Zach Veal

Post by Zach Veal »

Alright thanks alot bud, thats some good advice. I didnt realize Ocala was such a dry environment, I figured it had alot of swampy areas. And im not sure what part of Ocala or maybe a little outside but hes found several eastern and southern hognose. I know of three he found in the park, and one being as recent as last year. Ive seen the pics. He lives in NC and doesnt post on the forums but he knows alot about Apalachicola and Florida. I just wanted more advice, especially from people who actually live in Florida. Thanks again !! i appreciate it Nick.
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

Come to South Florida.
Zach Veal

Post by Zach Veal »

Josh, whats going on man.. Wished I could.. It would cost me so much, I wouldnt be able to afford Gas haha. I might could consider it. Would you wanna do some herping if you had some spare time ??
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

I have nothing but spare time. I'd definitely would be down for herping.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josh Young wrote:I have nothing but spare time. I'd definitely would be down for herping.
Josh, you are SO LUCKY! I remember when I had spare time.... Ahh...the good ole days. Now I'm reduced to living on 3 or 4 hours sleep a night just so I can spend a half dozen hours a day chasing critters and still complete work load.
Tim
Daniel Parker

Post by Daniel Parker »

I wanted to get my first post in on the new incarnation of FHF.

I concur with Nick on the Ocala thing. If there are certain rare things you want to look for, Ocala might be a possibility, but for general productive herping, I would avoid it. Take it from a Central Floridian who has been skunked there more times than I care to admit.

Morning, evening, and night road cruising are going to be your best bets for snakes that time of year. Rain is your enemy, which is one thing that makes that time of year tough. We get periods where it rains almost every day. It seems not many snakes want to cross wet roads in Florida. By that time of year, the amphibians even seem to get a little tired of the rain and aren't moving around that much.

If you get lucky and get a few dry days, try road cruising dirt roads in the morning from 8:30 to 11:30 AM and the afternoon from 5:30 to 7:30. Xeric areas are going to be less productive, but you may want to give them a shot for southern hogs, pine snakes etc. Even though many people associate diamondbacks with uplands, they are more abundant in mesic flatwoods in the peninsula of Florida.

The best night cruising will be right after dark from 8:30 to 10:30, sometimes later if it is really hot and temps take a while to drop. I would focus on paved roads through mesic and swampy areas. You will find higher abundance and diversity of species in lowlands.
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

Tim Borski wrote:
Josh Young wrote:I have nothing but spare time. I'd definitely would be down for herping.
Josh, you are SO LUCKY! I remember when I had spare time.... Ahh...the good ole days. Now I'm reduced to living on 3 or 4 hours sleep a night just so I can spend a half dozen hours a day chasing critters and still complete work load.
Tim
I only have so much free time because I am unemployed. Otherwise I'd have none.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Josh Young wrote:
Tim Borski wrote:
Tim
I only have so much free time because I am unemployed. Otherwise I'd have none.
Enjoy it while you can; I'm sure that'll change. Good luck (if you are seeking.)
Tim
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

I am enjoying it but it gets old not having the money to really do or go anywhere.