Smoky Mountains Salamanders ID Help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bostaff of Asclepius

Smoky Mountains Salamanders ID Help

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius »

Greetings,

Below are a few individuals found on a hike along the Chimney Tops trail that I am having a hell of a time identifying:

Any help would be appreciated, driving myself and girlfriend nuts trying to id.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Smoky Mountains Salamanders ID Help

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

They both look like Desmognathus to me. Some of them can only be identified based on species or genetics.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a salamander id expert. But I like to play one online.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

The first two look like Blackbellied salamanders (Desmognathus quadramaculatus) - they have a line of paired white spots laterally. The next couple are something in the mountain Dusky Salamander complex (maybe D. carolinensis) - they’re one of the few in the SAPPs with a rounded tail cross section. I can’t see well enough on the last one, but probably also a black belly.
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

I would call salamanders 2 (photos 3 and 4) and 3 (first 2 photos) santeetlah dusky salamanders. They have slightly greenish-brown hue and a lot of white flecking which is something I've seen a lot in santeetlah dusky salamanders in the park. Their heads also seem too pointy to me to be black-bellies, and the keeled tail rules out mountain duskies (which would be ocoee in that area). I'd say salamander 1 (the 5th and 6th photos) is definitely a black-bellied salamander. That being said Josh seems to disagree on a lot of that so take my word with a grain of salt. However he may not have noticed that you provided two shots of each specimen and only posted 3 specimens total.

Hope this helps! Dusky identification is always a spicy time!

-Ananth
Bostaff of Asclepius

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius »

Aneides,

After pouring over a few different guides, online databases And having observed other individuals in the field that is what I had tentatively concluded as well. I have a few others I will post with my ID guesses in a few days.

The help of all is appreciated!