Rana pipiens vs Rana sphenocephala

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FunkyRes

Rana pipiens vs Rana sphenocephala

Post by FunkyRes »

Hello all - I am currently working on an article related to Rana pipiens. I was hoping end of September but realistically I am thinking beginning of November. What it is, it's a transcription of the original description in Fraktur German, the same text in modern script German (with few spelling updates for readability), and an English translation.

It also is includes brief bios on all the naturalists he references - where I've learned some interesting things, as well as information on the species he references and related species in the complex he would have likely identified as Rana pipiens. This article is why I created https://pipfrosch.com/kauffeldi - a vector graphics version of the range map from Feinberg, Newman, et. al. (2014) pg. 4 Figure 1.

Anyway - my only field experience with Rana pipiens is from Allegany County, NY where I went to college. They only showed up at the pond in April and May just as the semester was ending and I was leaving. Interestingly, that's also when Thamnophis sirtalis would show up...

The pond also had spring peepers, eastern newts, spotted salamanders would breed there, and a single snapping turtle. Woods nearby had Wood Frogs and a lake nearby had Green Frogs and Northern Watersnakes but neither were ever seen at the pond. Pond was fishless. Anyway...

I have zero field experience with Rana sphenocephala or Rana kauffeldi.

After pouring through many many many many pictures online I have come to notice what seem like common differences and would like confirmation.

With exception of the numerically small morphs that lack spots -

Rana pipiens tends to have larger spots and more of them Rana sphenocephala

Rana pipiens tends to have a spot on the top of the nose (and this is in the original species description) but Rana sphenocephala tends not to.

I have however seen photos of Rana pipiens from Canada way outside of R, sphenocephala range that also lack that spot on top of the snout.

Rana sphenocephala tends to have a relatively longer snout than Rana pipiens.

A) Anything about that incorrect?

B) Any field diagnostics I am missing?

Any input appreciated.
Jeff

Re: Rana pipiens vs Rana sphenocephala

Post by Jeff »

Rana sphenocephala have a white spot on the tympanum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Thanks!
fisherp

Post by fisherp »

The patterns on the femoral reticula also tend to differ between the three species.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.